ReillyMarkowitz

Paper Debating Kritik

I'm looking for a kritik of debating on paper. Something about how using paper instead of a computer kills trees and is bad for biodiversity. Does it even exist? I'll be willing to trade some neolib or Kappeler stuff for it. Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Not sure how efficient laptops are, considering a ton of coal pollution goes into charging the battery. And after the laptop is thrown away, it's super bad for the environment. 

• Upvote 7

I'm looking for a kritik of debating on paper. Something about how using paper instead of a computer kills trees and is bad for biodiversity. Does it even exist? I'll be willing to trade some neolib or Kappeler stuff for it. Thanks in advance.

What joseph said. Computers require a lot more economic input (regular energy, production costs, disposal costs, and repairs come to mind) than paper does (print, once).

You probably lose the internal link debate too (US/Sino/Indian emissions > Team XX paper use). 

Why are you trying to K paper?

• Upvote 3

This is a bad idea. This emoji shall demonstrate what needs to be done to this idea-  :Flame:  :confused:  :ray:

(The idea is the face in the middle) 

Edit: You'd essentially be kritiking a team's inability to buy laptops (possibly due to being from an underprivileged school), which would be kinda a dick move. Also, cross-apply Snarf and Joseph's answers here- our imapax outweigh judge, vote neg. 

Edited by TimeCube4Lyfe
  • Upvote 6

Yeah, in this day and age, the only reasons teams don't use laptops are because they can't afford them or because they have trouble reading off a computer screen. Do you want to be turned as classist or ableist?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Link: Team uses paper

I/L: Paper is a fire hazard

!: Fire kills us all

Its discursive

Edited by Zuul

is it bad that i actually contextualized the fire argument for a team that read iffs........

IFFs Fail -- especially in ‘developing countries’ – Office Fires prove

McNair ’11

(David, Senior Economic Justice Advisor at Christian Aid, http://www.financialtransparency.org/2011/03/10/is-automatic-exchange-of-information-really-more-effective-ask-the-uk-government%E2%80%A6/, ARH)

Back in 2009, when Task Force members began lobbying the UK government on what the G20’s crackdown on tax havens might look like, the response was that automatic exchange of information was cumbersome, difficult, that there was far too much information to be useful – and, to paraphrase, that it would end up being shipped around the world in boxes which would cause a fire hazard

Office Fires turn case

CNA ‘5

(CNA Financial Corporation, “Protect Your Office Against Fire,†Page 1, http://www.dental-risk.com/Portals/20/articles/Fire%20Prevention.pdf, arh)

Few events are as devastating to a dental practice as a fire. In addition to the threat of bodily injury, fire ¶ can result in a range of financial losses and decreased cash flow. Dentists should carefully assess their ¶ vulnerability to fire and implement strategies to protect their practice, patients and employees. ¶ How do fires start? Three elements must be present for a fire to occur: fuel, ignition and oxygen. Fuel for ¶ a fire can take many forms, including paper, plastic, fabric, wood, and flammable/combustible liquids or ¶ gases, to name a few. You might be surprised at the variety of materials that can ignite and burn. Sources ¶ of ignition are sparks, an open flame, and excessive heat. When oxygen mixes with a combination of ¶ these factors, the results can be a devastating fire. Anything that you can do to eliminate even one of ¶ these elements will diminish your chance for fire.

• Upvote 1

Link: Team uses paper

I/L: Paper is a fire hazard

!: Fire kills us all

Its discursive

That sounds like a masterfully crafted !!debate round!!

That sounds like a masterfully crafted !!debate round!!

in the block i read impact extensions that say the fire spreads to the whole tournament

if we're in the west, than i also read a forest fire impact

paper kills, man

• Upvote 1

in the block i read impact extensions that say the fire spreads to the whole tournament

if we're in the west, than i also read a forest fire impact

paper kills, man

Wait, you actually read anything in the block?  You're doing it wrong, the argument should be !!performative!!

*pulls out lighter*

"I'm going to demonstrate how paper files create a fire hazard."

/not serious

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

Wait, you actually read anything in the block?  You're doing it wrong, the argument should be !!performative!!

*pulls out lighter*

"I'm going to demonstrate how paper files create a fire hazard."

/not serious

This is irrelevant, but last year on the TI Topic we ran a really funny CP against an aff that called for the USFG to build TI for knowledge. We PICed out of the state and had a performative  part were we threw a paper airplane at the judge with knowledge written on it.

• Upvote 2