fdsdfwe

Aff Bias?

Idk if its just me, but does next years topic seem really broad? Obviously T will always be there, but with so many arbritrary definitions; it makes it slightly difficult. Does anyone have any good idea for CP and DA ground? I'm not a strong K debater yet, but I'm going to Xylum so we'll see how that goes.  

Ya its pretty broad.  Will teams run a variety of different AFFs?  Not too much.  There will still be a core of affs that most teams will read.  Of course some teams will make really obscure ones, thats what case negs are for.  I wouldn't be too worried.

but no matter what you must always read timecube-- no matter what the case AND make it one off only. A 13 minutes timecube block will certainly convince the judge to vote for you, every time 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 17

Okay, as far as DAs go, environmental DAs can be used against pretty much anything with this Resolution and there is always Spending. Also, Anthro Ks will become quite useful. Ks aren't nearly as hard to debate with if you just really look into that philosopher and find something in it that you can really kill on with your speaking abilities. Definitely Ts on "oceans" and "USFG." Heck, OSPEC might actually be useful for once.

• Upvote 2

Any time ospec would be good, what you actually meant to run was xT.

Given the predictable nature of policy advantage construction, the set of things that actually get talked about is going to be small, even if the range of plans is large.

Yes, since this is such a broad topic, the affirmative has an obvious advantage. If you don't normally debate using Ks, start now. That's basically the only thing that can save you, along with some T arguments. Even if you are good when it comes to using Ks, there are some affirmative teams that know how to use strategies to deal with K arguments. Negative debaters,brace yourself. This year, affirmative is going to make sure all hell breaks lose on the negative...

r576.jpg

Edited by PantherPryde
  • Downvote 1

generics, process CPs, kritiks and condo means the neg will literally always be just fine.

• Upvote 5

I think at this point in the evolution of debate, the arsenal of arguments available to both teams eliminates any strong bias.

• Upvote 3

I think at this point in the evolution of debate, the arsenal of arguments available to both teams eliminates any strong bias.

That depends on circuit and experience. Win by confusion is a thing, especially in novice/JV and on local circuits.

Well, that IS true, especially since any policy debate DA can be connected to a nuclear war result. Still, it's going to be difficult for negative, but then again, it always is in policy debate.

Edited by PantherPryde
  • Downvote 2

Well, that IS true, especially since any policy debate DA can be connected to a nuclear war result. Still, it's going to be difficult for negative, but then again, it always is in policy debate.

What???

Neg is almost always easier that aff.  There are so many more types of arguments to run, including super generic CPs like consult xyz and generic K's like cap/security that are winnable and link to everything.

• Upvote 4

What???

Neg is almost always easier that aff.  There are so many more types of arguments to run, including super generic CPs like consult xyz and generic K's like cap/security that are winnable and link to everything.

True, but the generic nature of these arguments also means that teams create massive blocks to these arguments and only really need to update the links based on your aff. Also, most good affs tend to find squirrelly/unique ways to respond/link out of super generic arguments, such as the multilat affs that were all over the place with embargo affs (the exception to this being heg affs that are looking for a fight). If a neg wants to put the time and effort into making a cap K the most glorious file on the planet, I'm sure they can, but they also have to be able to answer an extremely broad range of diverse answers to their generic K of choice.

Now, of course there are more specific/niche Ks to run, but I've found that in the extreme majority of cases, the less generic and well-blocked (by the aff) the k, the correspondingly-fewer affs that the K actually links to. This may just be stating the obvious, but it tends to balance out the diverse range of arguments that the neg can actually run.

TL;DR While there are a million possible neg positions, only a handful might link to a particular aff at a time, so it evens out

• Upvote 2

True, but the generic nature of these arguments also means that teams create massive blocks to these arguments and only really need to update the links based on your aff. Also, most good affs tend to find squirrelly/unique ways to respond/link out of super generic arguments, such as the multilat affs that were all over the place with embargo affs (the exception to this being heg affs that are looking for a fight). If a neg wants to put the time and effort into making a cap K the most glorious file on the planet, I'm sure they can, but they also have to be able to answer an extremely broad range of diverse answers to their generic K of choice.

Now, of course there are more specific/niche Ks to run, but I've found that in the extreme majority of cases, the less generic and well-blocked (by the aff) the k, the correspondingly-fewer affs that the K actually links to. This may just be stating the obvious, but it tends to balance out the diverse range of arguments that the neg can actually run.

TL;DR While there are a million possible neg positions, only a handful might link to a particular aff at a time, so it evens out

While that might be the case in an ideal world, I've found that most teams run the same generic turns on broader Ks, even when more specific options are widely available.

• Upvote 2

That all depends on how well you can spin the K. If you know your stuff almost any K can be interpreted to fit practically any aff, but you need to know more than the aff team you're hitting by far so you can answer their counter spin.

While that might be the case in an ideal world, I've found that most teams run the same generic turns on broader Ks, even when more specific options are widely available.

True, but that's more due to affs being lazy/prioritizing prep in other areas. I'm not trying to say that they always do this, just that they have the option, so the field could be plenty level if they put in the effort to prep out the Ks beyond the generic blocks. 

That all depends on how well you can spin the K. If you know your stuff almost any K can be interpreted to fit practically any aff, but you need to know more than the aff team you're hitting by far so you can answer their counter spin.

Yeah, you can spin pretty much anything if you try hard enough, it's just a matter of not reaching the point beyond which the judge or other team calls bullshit.

I've done quite a bit of research and I've come to the conclusion that there's a huge neg bias for a couple of reasons:

Kritiks - core k's like environment will make a comeback and will be bigger than ever. Neolib is still a viable strategy. Specific k's will come out of nowhere that have never been seen before.

Counterplans - I heard you like US key warrants? These affs have none. Say hi to every country thinkable doing ocean development. Found a sweet aff? Turns out Spain can do it better.

Disads - Environment, Spending, PTX, Military, etc. etc. etc.

T - Well, aff probably wins this debate.

Honestly, Non-military wrecked this resolution.

• Upvote 3

I've done quite a bit of research and I've come to the conclusion that there's a huge neg bias for a couple of reasons:

Kritiks - core k's like environment will make a comeback and will be bigger than ever. Neolib is still a viable strategy. Specific k's will come out of nowhere that have never been seen before.

Counterplans - I heard you like US key warrants? These affs have none. Say hi to every country thinkable doing ocean development. Found a sweet aff? Turns out Spain can do it better.

Disads - Environment, Spending, PTX, Military, etc. etc. etc.

T - Well, aff probably wins this debate.

Honestly, Non-military wrecked this resolution.

My aff for next year has like, 203420948 US key cards. lol

• Upvote 4

My aff for next year has like, 203420948 US key cards. lol

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

• Upvote 1

I feel like I'm missing the joke.

I know, with a number that size, i was expecting it to be something like 'when a signed int rolls over', but its not.

I feel like I'm missing the joke.

I think it was his way of saying he would upvote the post but he reached his limit 

I think it was his way of saying he would upvote the post but he reached his limit 

Not that, the comment he was referring to.

Totally agree. The aff I made a while back when the topic just came out was super good (i thought!)

That is, until I realized that there was no reason why another country couldn't do it. In fact, it would probably foster a good net benefit, say ptx. No matter how much I would have tried to beat out the CP and the ptx, the neg would always win on a risk of a NB.

So i do think that even though there may exist some aff bias, there is also huge neg bias sometimes as well. In terms of this topic though, I would say more neg. But then again, its always debatable. ZING