SnarkosaurusRex

Verbatim problem

Since my laptop broke, I've been using my Dad's old macbook. I went to install Verbatim, and it says that the instillation was successful, yet when I look it's not there. Not in the applications folder, the desktop, nor any other folder I could think to search. Any help, Macs are not my area of expertise.

Sadly, Microsoft Word for Mac '08 does not support Visual Basic macros, which Verbatim uses. Macros are when you assign a keyboard shortcut (ex. F9) to do something (ex. bold and underline the text of a card). For some reason, Microsoft removed the Visual Basic macro feature from Word '08, but reinstated it in Microsoft Word '11. If getting another laptop is not an option, I would recommend trying to get Microsoft Word '11 if at all possible. Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

I don't need macros, on my old laptop I didn't have macros either (Microsoft Word Starter 10). What I do need is the Pocket/Heading/Block/Tag/Cite/Underline/Emphasis

And the navigation pane. No idea where to find that in this version either.

Sorry, I thought that you were looking for the macros.

The navigation pane is not part of Verbatim, it is part of Microsoft Word itself.

Here is a way to get there.

http://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=7513

In terms of getting the "Pocket/Heading/Block/Tag/Cite/Underline/Emphasis," I don't know why that isn't working. I think the reason might be that your laptop is messing up because of the macros or lack thereof. I opened up Verbatim on my laptop and saved is as a Word document without macros and attached it, so try opening it up and seeing if it works.

If it does work, then I would recommend saving it as a Word template (.dotx) because then you can load it into all of your files.

VerbatimTemplate.docx

• Upvote 1

I meant the ribbon or equivalent, introduced in 07 word.

Additionally, I already have a template I made on school computers, but when I tried to load the template onto the laptop the ribbon wasn't there

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

Go to "view" at the top of the laptop, then "toolbars", then "Verbatimnormal", and a little toolbar should pop up.

• Upvote 3

Go to "view" at the top of the laptop, then "toolbars", then "Verbatimnormal", and a little toolbar should pop up.

Well

View->Toolbars->Format

did bring up the "ribbon" menu. But since Verbatim won't install properly...ugh.

Well thanks, I found the two things I needed even if it's inefficient.

It's important to know that Verbatim and all templates, in general, have gravitated to using native styles, rather than custom styles. You can recreate this by assigning an Alias to a current style, instead of creating a "new" style. This should also allow you to make Verbatim friendly docs in Google Docs or LibreOffice, for example, or really any generic text editor with Headings 1 - 4 (as the main/most important styles for making Verbatim and other templates work).

Guide for Open Paperless Project based templates: http://paperlessdebate.com/SitePages/Open%20Paperless%20Project.aspx

I think everyone should watch these videos if they use Verbatim:

OS X:

PC:

Here are defaults for these and default keystrokes that make you compatible with any Verbatim or Open Paperless Project templates I know of.

Pocket = Heading 1    CTRL-1

Hat = Heading 2         CTRL-2

Block = Heading 3      CTRL-3

Tag = Heading 4         CTRL-4

Underline =                CTRL-U

Paste Special =         Shift+Command+V    (this is slower than the macro, but brings up a dialogue box to paste unformatted text)

You can customize the keystrokes to the F1-12 keys by going: 

1. Select Tools ==> Customize Keyboard

2. Select the appropriate category on the left and select the right command (Probably Styles and Heading 1 - Heading 4, for example)

3. Assign a new keyboard shortcut (F4 - Heading 1/Pocket)

4. Click o.k. twice

5. Repeat for the functions you have/need

F2 – Paste Unformatted
F3 – Remove Returns
F4 – Pocket
F5 – Hat
F6 – Block
F7 – Tag
F8 – Cite
F9 – Underline
F10 – Emphasis
F11 – Highlight