pronk

Fem K reading

What are some books you suggest I read when writing a fem K ( I don't really want evidence offline, however if you know a good site I would appreciate it) ?

• Upvote 1

I would suggest Gender Trouble by Judith Butler, ( i can send you a pdf if you would like)  as well as her book called Undoing Gender

• Upvote 5

Kind of hard to give a good answer—many ways you could take it (ecofeminism, irigaray, lesbian separatism, black feminism, gender performativity/butler) if you have any idea what angle you want to spin it, it would be easier to help you.

right now I am looking for books that will give me patriarchal impacts, on the other hand does anyone have a copy of Gendering Global Conflict by Laura Sjoberg (.pdf would be preferable)?

• Upvote 1

If you're just getting into the literature, Judith Butler is a difficult starting point. She references a lot of high theory and psychoanalysis that is going to leave you with more questions than answers upon your first (and second, and third...) readings. I've had profs introduce Butler (writing about literature tropes) to classes of senior undergraduate English majors with a spiel along the lines of  "this is going to be difficult and confusing".  Butler's work on vulnerability is very well-suited for debate; and many of her specific disagreements with other leftists (Irigaray, Kristeva, etc) allow you to write fairly nuanced and specific critique positions... but as a catch-all gender kritik, I wouldn't start with Butler as my primary author.

If you're looking for a primer that will have some good cards relevant to next year's topic, I'd recommend Karen Warren's 1990 article "The Power and Promise of Ecological Feminism". Aside from touching on a lot of the major themes of second- and third-wave patriarchal critiques of civil society, she couches it all in a pretty accessible and plain language, and also explains many areas of thought as "conceptual frameworks" in ways that are particularly palatable for constructing alternative/role of the ballot arguments. There are also great impact cards (patriarchy root cause of environment, root cause of war etc), which is arguably a criticism of her work (she overdetermines the role of gender in producing problems) but hey, you're cutting a fem K... PM me and I can send it to you, not sure if you can access without databases (although if you have access to any db system, you can almost certainly easily find this one).

• Upvote 2

If you're just getting into the literature, Judith Butler is a difficult starting point. She references a lot of high theory and psychoanalysis that is going to leave you with more questions than answers upon your first (and second, and third...) readings. I've had profs introduce Butler (writing about literature tropes) to classes of senior undergraduate English majors with a spiel along the lines of  "this is going to be difficult and confusing".  Butler's work on vulnerability is very well-suited for debate; and many of her specific disagreements with other leftists (Irigaray, Kristeva, etc) allow you to write fairly nuanced and specific critique positions... but as a catch-all gender kritik, I wouldn't start with Butler as my primary author.

If you're looking for a primer that will have some good cards relevant to next year's topic, I'd recommend Karen Warren's 1990 article "The Power and Promise of Ecological Feminism". Aside from touching on a lot of the major themes of second- and third-wave patriarchal critiques of civil society, she couches it all in a pretty accessible and plain language, and also explains many areas of thought as "conceptual frameworks" in ways that are particularly palatable for constructing alternative/role of the ballot arguments. There are also great impact cards (patriarchy root cause of environment, root cause of war etc), which is arguably a criticism of her work (she overdetermines the role of gender in producing problems) but hey, you're cutting a fem K... PM me and I can send it to you, not sure if you can access without databases (although if you have access to any db system, you can almost certainly easily find this one).

Which database did you find it on? (I've been looking through several and haven't found a copy yet).