I've been flowing on paper for the past two years, and recently have had an urge to switch to flowing on my laptop. I have a template and all, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers to flowing electronically? Also, is it worth the switch to begin flowing on a laptop, or is good old fashion legal paper and pens the way to go? 

Paper and pens when debating, Laptop whenever I start judging novices, paper and pencil if I judge varsity when in college. (got a 2 year wait till judging novices) 

Paper and Pens are good for debate because 

1. You can draw arrows for cross-applications and write in answers and such

2. You can use your computer for pulling up evidence rather than alternating between flow and speech doc during a speech

Laptop when judging Novices

1. If you forget paper, it's annoying to have to ask them and sometimes they don't have enough flow paper.

2. Easier comparison because the debate WILL be somewhat messy in novice, there will NOT be a perfect line by line.

Paper and Pens (if) judging Varsity whilst in college

1. More cross applications, better line-by-lines

2. all of one part of one position will be done on that piece of paper (IE a CP debate), and won't be jumbled around like in a novice round because these people tend to signpost

• Upvote 3

I know people who do flow on paper, and I know people who flow on the computer. I personally prefer paper for a lot of the reasons TimeCube4Lyfe said above. Some other reasons is: Easier to do line by line and switch the order of the flows if you want to go for a different order (1nc was K DA case 2nc could be K Case DA), I also prefer flowing on paper because of all the short hand you can use. But with that said do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

What templates do people us e? Does anybody have some super awesome template they want to share?

I flow in Excel when I'm judging; I don't think I'd want to while debating because of the difficulty of flipping between cards and flow. My template is an Excel workspace with 12 sheets. Each one has 7 columns: 1AC, 1NC, 2AC, Block, 1AR, 2NR, 2AR. I highlight all the Aff columns with a light blue and all the Neg columns with a light red for ease of seeing which side is talking. Set all cells to wrap text, and use one sheet per argument. Remember that Alt+Enter starts a new line in a cell. If you can't figure out Excel well enough to do that on your own, you probably shouldn't be flowing in Excel :)

I use the unlimited space of spreadsheets to my advantage when flowing; I only put an argument in the same row as a previous argument if it's directly responsive to it. That way i compensate for losing the arrows that connect arguments when flowing on paper.

What templates do people us e? Does anybody have some super awesome template they want to share?

This what I use when I used to flow on my computer and judge. 

Edited by glg1995
  • Upvote 4

For all the 1a's, how do you go about flowing the block? Ie: how much of the opponents args do you flow vs. How much do you write down for the 1ar itself?

I always find myself overflowing the block, leaving little time for myself to write down key arguments to respond to the neg

For all the 1a's, how do you go about flowing the block? Ie: how much of the opponents args do you flow vs. How much do you write down for the 1ar itself?

I always find myself overflowing the block, leaving little time for myself to write down key arguments to respond to the neg

I flow the whole block and if I have time write down the specific cards to respond with and nothing more while flowing. I rarely write out analysis but shorthand for the argumrnt to be made during prep. Find key words u can look at while spreading and kniw the arg to make. Then i may have the 2a write out some stuff on the off case in I need it, but usually not. Flowing the entirety of the block is paramount. Otherwise you wont know the best arguments to isolate in thr 1ar for the cleanest take out.

Flowing the entirety of the block is paramount.

I guess, do you flow each and every card/ analytic? Or rather just the general idea

Ie: on a ptx da, if they read 3 will pass cards, do you flow each or just one?

Edited by MCat

I guess, do you flow each and every card/ analytic? Or rather just the general idea

Ie: on a ptx da, if they read 3 will pass cards, do you flow each or just one?

I rarely get authors and only flow the warrants if they are particularly emphsized. I try to read through the evidence to see if they are responsive to our specific warrants tho. In that context, i would most probably just write will pass once and skim through the evidence.

I feel like there's some undiscovered optimal way to flow that involves a tablet connected to a keyboard, where you can draw arrows and such easily but also type quickly.

I feel like there's some undiscovered optimal way to flow that involves a tablet connected to a keyboard, where you can draw arrows and such easily but also type quickly.

Probably, although a win8 laptop might be the way to go in order to get the touchscreen and the keyboard in one device, not to mention a larger screen and significantly less lag

• Upvote 1

I flow with wordpad 2.3 beta on my desktop. It's a little heavy, but that 6-core processor and next-gen graphics card really helps me flow every word.

• Upvote 2

Question for those who advise against flowing and debating on a computer at the same time. When I debate, I only have my speech document cover half of my screen at any time - with Windows, you can drag the window to the right or left of the screen, and it'll "stick" so that it covers that half. (It's good to have a narrower speech document because your eyes don't have to travel as much distance when reading cards and blocks.) If I had an Excel flow on the other half of the sheet, it'd be pretty easy to switch between relevant LBL analysis and whatever card or block I have prepared, since it'd be just a matter of looking a few inches away - at least, I'd imagine. Is that not the case, or are there other difficulties with flowing + debating on a computer screen that I'm not thinking about? I'm just considering making the switch is all - at least for judging, it seems like being able to flow in Excel would be a major plus.

Question for those who advise against flowing and debating on a computer at the same time. When I debate, I only have my speech document cover half of my screen at any time - with Windows, you can drag the window to the right or left of the screen, and it'll "stick" so that it covers that half. (It's good to have a narrower speech document because your eyes don't have to travel as much distance when reading cards and blocks.) If I had an Excel flow on the other half of the sheet, it'd be pretty easy to switch between relevant LBL analysis and whatever card or block I have prepared, since it'd be just a matter of looking a few inches away - at least, I'd imagine. Is that not the case, or are there other difficulties with flowing + debating on a computer screen that I'm not thinking about? I'm just considering making the switch is all - at least for judging, it seems like being able to flow in Excel would be a major plus.

problem i have is that the computer sometimes screws up or you click something wrong or whatnot. make sure your computer runs well and won't stutter or anything mid-speech and you'd be fine

- with Windows, you can drag the window to the right or left of the screen, and it'll "stick" so that it covers that half.

Where is that function?  A problem i often have is clicking on a word doc and having my flow disappear (which is why i generally flow on paper)

Where is that function?  A problem i often have is clicking on a word doc and having my flow disappear (which is why i generally flow on paper)

Well I'm not sure what it's called or how to activate it, just that it was on by default for my Windows 7. I just grab the window pane and drag the whole window to the far left or far right edge of the screen and the outline shows up to signify that it would occupy the whole half of the screen. Let go of the mouse button and then it pops up that way. Sorry I can't be of more help! It might be an Aero setting, and I'm not sure if it's available in either Vista or Windows 8.