Hannahkiin

So Chomsky has a niece or great-niece that goes to my school

One of the two. I always forget which. Anyways, it's her birthday on Sunday, and it'd be really really cool if you K debaters wished her a happy birthday :).

• Upvote 1

Does she do debate? If so, she should totes interview Chomsky about his opinions on substantial government exploration and/or development of the world's oceans.

Also happy birthday

Edited by Zuul
  • Upvote 1

Does she do debate? If so, she should totes interview Chomsky about his opinions on substantial government exploration and/or development of the world's oceans.

Also happy birthday

She used to, apparently. But she does theater now.

why dis in critiques?

Cuz chomsky is one of the few American intellectuals (and the only one who engages the public) that is very Kritik-ee (anti-capitalist, anti-colonial, yada yada)

Happy Birthday Chomsky related person!

• Upvote 2

does Spanos just not count, then...?

Spanos doesn't really engage with the public---like a lot of philosophers, he writes jargon-filled essays that are highly abstract and not useful to the average person.  Also (I don't know if spanos is particular does this) a lot of those essays/books tend to cost exorbitant amounts of money, whereas Chomsky strives to talk to the public.  I once remember reading Multitude and then reading a Chomsky book and remarking how many of the ideas were similar, Chomsky was just easier to understand.

Chomsky is also widely known (by allies and adversaries)---Spanos is kinda just another one of those arcane debate philosophers

• Upvote 1

Spanos doesn't really engage with the public---like a lot of philosophers, he writes jargon-filled essays that are highly abstract and not useful to the average person.  Also (I don't know if spanos is particular does this) a lot of those essays/books tend to cost exorbitant amounts of money, whereas Chomsky strives to talk to the public.  I once remember reading Multitude and then reading a Chomsky book and remarking how many of the ideas were similar, Chomsky was just easier to understand.

Chomsky is also widely known (by allies and adversaries)---Spanos is kinda just another one of those arcane debate philosophers

I can see where you're coming from, I think that Spanos is more of a middle ground between hardcore debate philosophers and Chomsky, but he does tend to be a bit more Ivory Tower-esque. I've gotten some of his stuff for free online, but it's pretty hit and miss there, and he does tend to talk about a lot of the same stuff as Chomsky, just more "developed" (from what I've read of Spanos, he does more deep analysis of what he writes about, and cites Vietnam and the Holocaust a ton in what I read). I think Spanos is more Kish, and Chomsky is more lay-- not worse, just easier to digest. Spanos is nowhere near Baudrillard/Foucalt/Badiou, though.

• Upvote 1

Happy birthday Chomsky jr!

Also Hannah come to the dark side and become a k debater

I mean, if that's how it is...apply to the college across the street from your high school. I'll be gone by the time that you would be a college debater, but still. Do it.

Do it.

I mean, if that's how it is...apply to the college across the street from your high school. I'll be gone by the time that you would be a college debater, but still. Do it.

Do it.

Gonna assume this was directed towards Hannah who has Vandy across the street (thanx google maps) as opposed to me who has the university of the District of Columbia 1 metro stop away

I'll think about it :P. Maybe. I don't want to abandon my counterplan children though...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gonna assume this was directed towards Hannah who has Vandy across the street (thanx google maps) as opposed to me who has the university of the District of Columbia 1 metro stop away

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I was trying for a whole "If you want to try to influence her to make weird decisions, I'll do so as well." Though you should also apply to Vanderbilt. Do it.

To Hannah, I'm mostly joking, to be honest. It's getting much more K than it used to (I'm part of that reason, but whatever), but it's still very much policy oriented.

Everyone should apply. Do it. Give in to the peer pressure (although I may not be considered your peer by some definitions).

Alright...that's a LIIIIIITTLE creepy that you Google map'd my high school, but nonetheless, I might do it my junior year. Sophomore year, my coach still wants me to err on the side of policy.

Alright...that's a LIIIIIITTLE creepy that you Google map'd my high school, but nonetheless, I might do it my junior year. Sophomore year, my coach still wants me to err on the side of policy.[/quote

True my bad I wasn't thinking about that x)

I'll think about it :P. Maybe. I don't want to abandon my counterplan children though...

Go for policy counterplans with K impacts! Check out the Whitewashing CP on Open Evidence for what I mean, or the Strike at the Self CP that I uploaded a while back ago for RainSilves (might have to look through my post or reputation history for that). There're also some semi-critical net benefits to things like the EU CP this year - "new regionalism" and critiques of realism / American exceptionalist narratives, that sort of thing. That could be a neat way to transition toward more out-there K arguments.

Edited by dancon25

Alright...that's a LIIIIIITTLE creepy that you Google map'd my high school, but nonetheless, I might do it my junior year. Sophomore year, my coach still wants me to err on the side of policy.

Oh, at Georgetown, I believe I'll be able to turn you towards the dark side of K's... for like a day... 

• Upvote 2

Oh, at Georgetown, I believe I'll be able to turn you towards the dark side of K's... for like a day... 

You can try, I guess, but just warning you, it probably won't work.

Happy birthday Chomsky jr!

NO!  I feel like there are only like 10 policy people left on cross-x.  CPs FTW!

NO!  I feel like there are only like 10 policy people left on cross-x.  CPs FTW!

*high fives Trollanator* YES. Someone else who loves CPs!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Same. K's are too fun. Zagorin Sharp Jones lab ftw