polyvore

Heidegger and the Black Notebooks

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/10/heidegger_and_the_nazis_the_black_notebooks_suggest_he_was_anti_semitic.html?utm_content=buffer50b0b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I'm not really sure what the consensus is on Heidegger's Naziism is anymore, but this new publication professes to provide the internal link between Naziism and Heidegger's actual philosophy. Worth a read.

Article starts by saying link between "being and time" and nazism. But Being and Time was published in 1927. And despite the massive amounts of speed he must have taken to write it. It no doubt took awhile to actually write.

Anybody have links to leaked stuff?

Everyone knew he was a Nazi. What was kind of up for grabs was whether or not he was just an opportunistic douchebag or an actual believer in the racial ideology.

Will be an interesting read. DeMan and Heidegger I am disappoint.

Edited by freewayrickyross
  • Upvote 2

I am a Heidegger fan. Aff and Neg. I have cut numerous cards from Being and Time, and I don't know how any of it is related to Nazism. 

• Upvote 2

Article starts by saying link between "being and time" and nazism. But Being and Time was published in 1927. And despite the massive amounts of speed he must have taken to write it. It no doubt took awhile to actually write.

Anybody have links to leaked stuff?

Everyone knew he was a Nazi. What was kind of up for grabs was whether or not he was just an opportunistic douchebag or an actual believer in the racial ideology.

Will be an interesting read. DeMan and Heidegger I am disappoint.

Heidegger was a meth head?

I am a Heidegger fan. Aff and Neg. I have cut numerous cards from Being and Time, and I don't know how any of it is related to Nazism. 

That's why you're a high schooler and not the author of this book.

Heidegger was a meth head?

German pilots took a lot of amphetamines actually to help them stay awake!

To be honest Heidegger probably was actually a Nazi, however for the sake of debate I argue that he didn't truly believe in Nazism. In all actuality what really matters is the messages he conveys in his philosophies most of which don't talk about annihilating Jews(most he definitely still has a biased opinion against Jews). If his philosophy hold strong we should still value it rather than throw it out just, because he belonged to a bad political group

Rock on Heidegger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2NqfISm9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH1iaKVsBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGL8iwxfPd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBTIoseYuQ

Edited by ultrapanda7
  • Upvote 1

To be honest Heidegger probably was actually a Nazi, however for the sake of debate I argue that he didn't truly believe in Nazism. In all actuality what really matters is the messages he conveys in his philosophies most of which don't talk about annihilating Jews(most he definitely still has a biased opinion against Jews). If his philosophy hold strong we should still value it rather than throw it out just, because he belonged to a bad political group

Rock on Heidegger!

In some quotes he is apparently tying this racism in to his philosophy. Thats what is fucked. But I haven't gotten a copy yet so can't really say.

In some quotes he is apparently tying this racism in to his philosophy. Thats what is fucked. But I haven't gotten a copy yet so can't really say.

http://www.critical-theory.com/as-it-turns-out-heidegger-was-probably-a-pretty-big-anti-semite/

seems like he claims 'world Judaism' is the driving factor behind modernity - which would support that. unfortunately don't see a release date :(

I'd like to note that anyone who believes 'Speaking for Others' is a valid K should also be condemning Heidegger and his philosophy for his Naziism.

Either argument is independent of the person, in which case speaking for others and Heidegger's naziism are irrelevant, or Heidegger's identity as a Nazi is just as damning as the lack of the speaker's membership in relevant minority is to the Speaking for Others K. 

(Unless of course his naziism really is intimately tied to, or a consequence of, his philosophy, in which case it impacts the argument directly and it doesn't get a pass as a personal trait and merely ad hominem.  I'll leave such assessments till I can actually read the book)

I'd like to note that anyone who believes 'Speaking for Others' is a valid K should also be condemning Heidegger and his philosophy for his Naziism.

Either argument is independent of the person, in which case speaking for others and Heidegger's naziism are irrelevant, or Heidegger's identity as a Nazi is just as damning as the lack of the speaker's membership in relevant minority is to the Speaking for Others K. 

Totally misunderstands the SFO kritik - which seems hard given the threads you've participated in explaining it. SFO is about allowing people in power to define the identities of oppressed people, and about the airtime tradeoff between having dominant groups speak when marginalized groups good. No argument is independent of the person making it, whether that's the initial author or the person recutting it - but that's not the question here. Don't derail :P

No argument is independent of the person making it, whether that's the initial author or the person recutting it - but that's not the question here. Don't derail  :P

And that's where we disagree.  :P

Edited by Squirrelloid