ReillyMarkowitz

Giving the 1AC from memory

Hey guys,

Would I be allowed to give my 1AC from memory? If by some incredible feat I managed to memorize all 8 minutes, could I recite it off the top of my head and then give my opponents the evidence when I'm finished, or is there a rule against that? Also, is there a rule saying you MUST give your opponents your evidence or is that just common courtesy?

Thanks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You have to have the evidence with you to reference.  Otherwise you could just be making it up.

You're not required to flash your speeches, but the evidence has to available to your opponents in some way or the other.  Also Wheaton's Law

Hey guys,

Would I be allowed to give my 1AC from memory? If by some incredible feat I managed to memorize all 8 minutes, could I recite it off the top of my head and then give my opponents the evidence when I'm finished, or is there a rule against that? Also, is there a rule saying you MUST give your opponents your evidence or is that just common courtesy?

Thanks.

Yes, and it would be particularly awesome for you to do so. I'd have a full printout of each article with the relevant sections bold underlined, but not pulled from the document. 

Even if you memorize it, it's still faster to read it because it doesn't require comprehension. And there's absolutely no reason to give it from memory.

As for sharing evidence, you should give it to your opponents before your speech. The only exception is if it's on paper, in which case you should flip it to the side that they're on so they can read it right after you. 

NFL has a rule that your evidence must be available to your opponents. Not sure if NFL rules apply to all tournaments, but honestly, don't be THAT guy that doesn't share evidence. First, nobody will like you. Second, judges will dislike you and give you low speak/find excuses to vote against you. Third, Wheaton's Law. 

• Upvote 1

Even if you memorize it, it's still faster to read it because it doesn't require comprehension. And there's absolutely no reason to give it from memory.

As for sharing evidence, you should give it to your opponents before your speech. The only exception is if it's on paper, in which case you should flip it to the side that they're on so they can read it right after you. 

NFL has a rule that your evidence must be available to your opponents. Not sure if NFL rules apply to all tournaments, but honestly, don't be THAT guy that doesn't share evidence. First, nobody will like you. Second, judges will dislike you and give you low speak/find excuses to vote against you. Third, Wheaton's Law. 

Depends on how well you memorize it - rote memorization can be as fast as reading. 

The reason to give it from memory is strategic; the 1N doesn't get to review the 1AC until cross-ex at the latest and it messes with their flow, since debaters in the paperless era are lazy at flowing. You have to make evidence available but that's true only after the speech, and only upon specific request, and not in any particular form. 

Edit - re:wheaton's law (don't be a dick) - I don't disagree, but I don't see this as being unfair; it's strategic. It's no more unfair than reading a squirrley aff whose first contention is "this aff is topical", or reading a T violation that forces a K link. 

Edited by Snarf

Depends on how well you memorize it - rote memorization can be as fast as reading. 

The reason to give it from memory is strategic; the 1N doesn't get to review the 1AC until cross-ex at the latest and it messes with their flow, since debaters in the paperless era are lazy at flowing. You have to make evidence available but that's true only after the speech, and only upon specific request, and not in any particular form. 

I agree debater's have gotten too lazy at flowing but....Wheaton's Law

I agree debater's have gotten too lazy at flowing but....Wheaton's Law

Sorry - edited to discuss DBAD once I realized I hadn't discussed it. Short version - strategic things usually make the opponent sad. Do them anyway.

Edit - re:wheaton's law (don't be a dick) - I don't disagree, but I don't see this as being unfair; it's strategic. It's no more unfair than reading a squirrley aff whose first contention is "this aff is topical", or reading a T violation that forces a K link. 

I'd draw the distinction between being strategic and being a dick when a strategy doesn't require skills, knowledge, work, or time.

Squirelly aff- Takes time and work to cut. Takes knowledge about the aff and skills to win while on the wrong side of a T debate.

T + K double bind- Takes skill and knowledge to effectively execute.

Not flashing evidence before the speech- Anyone can do it, but it's commonly considered to be worse for debate and for all parties involved. 

• Upvote 1

I'd draw the distinction between being strategic and being a dick when a strategy doesn't require skills, knowledge, work, or time.

Squirelly aff- Takes time and work to cut. Takes knowledge about the aff and skills to win while on the wrong side of a T debate.

T + K double bind- Takes skill and knowledge to effectively execute.

Not flashing evidence before the speech- Anyone can do it, but it's commonly considered to be worse for debate and for all parties involved. 

It requires skills, work and time to learn how to flow effectively. I'm not suggesting this person deny the neg a copy of their evidence if specifically requested - but I am suggesting that it's strategic for the aff to control the timing and form that evidence takes. 

• Upvote 1

i would say sure why not, just have it available... also..

for a policy aff there's no reason to have it memorized

if you're doing a performance aff, it might give it more effect to be able to recite poetry, narratives, or anything else from memory. lets you keep judge attention, or if there's singing or dancing obviously you can't really read evidence (unless you're really great at twerking/etc.)

personally i have no issue whatsoever with someone not readin the cards as long as they're available to me and i can tell you didn't make it up. from a debater perspective, i wanna see the evidence. from a judge perspective i'm mad liberal with the debate space being anything and everything u want it to be so again, really do not care unless there's a good abuse story.

finally, i dont think that it's abusive or rude or anything to the opponents just because u have it memorized. i would bet you teams like centennial kk and that team that runs the haiti aff (i can't remember it off the top of my head, they're from texas...) have their entire aff very close to memorized, but that's because they're very personal. again, i really only see memorization as something that a performance/kritikal aff would really be able to take advantage of. 

edit: maybe on a local circuit, memory would help you, since lay judges /love/ when you're a "policymaker"

Edited by georgebushsdogpaintings

You still have to give them the evidence

Funny story, my computer totally died in the middle of my 1AC, I put it on a table and grabbed my partners, all without skipping a beat. The judge and the other team were a little flabbergasted. People above are correct though, having it in front of you is better, even if you have it memorized.

• Upvote 2

I mean, I've read my 1AC enough times to have almost memorized it, but I still wouldn't recommend it...it's much easier to have it in front of you in case you lose your place, which happens to everyone.

As for flashing? Well...Wheaton's Law....