pronk

Deleuze and Guttari affirmative

I am new to writing critical affirmatives and I was wondering if the community would like to help out writing this idea here is a card to get everyone started(I need help with this idea if anyone is willing to help please PM)

The sea is a prime example of smooth space that is slowly being entrenched by the striated

Deleuze and Guttari 87' (A Thousand Plateus Published by the University of Minnesota Press

111 Third Avenue South, Suite 290, Minneapolis, MN 55401-2520
Printed in the United States of America on acid-free paper)

This is where the very special problem of the sea enters in. For the sea is a
smooth space par excellence, and yet was the first to encounter the
demands of increasingly strict striation. The problem did not arise in prox-
imity to land. On the contrary, the striation of the sea was a result of naviga-
tion on the open water. Maritime space was striated as a function of two
astronomical and geographical gains: bearings, obtained by a set of calcula-
tions based on exact observation of the stars and the sun; and the map,
which intertwines meridians and parallels, longitudes and latitudes, plot-
ting regions known and unknown onto a grid (like a Mendeleyev table).
Must we accept the Portuguese argument and assign 1440 as the turning
point that marked the first decisive striation, and set the stage for the great
discoveries? Rather, we will follow Pierre Chaunu when he speaks of an
extended confrontation at sea between the smooth and the striated during
the course of which the striated progressively took hold.8 For before longi-
tude lines had been plotted, a very late development, there existed a com-
plex and empirical nomadic system of navigation based on the wind and
noise, the colors and sounds of the seas; then came a directional,
preastronomical or already astronomical, system of navigation employing
only latitude, in which there was no possibility of "taking one's bearings,"
and which had only portolanos lacking "translatable generalization"
instead of true maps; finally, improvements upon this primitive astronom-
ical navigation were made under the very special conditions of the lati-
tudes of the Indian Ocean, then of the elliptical circuits of the Atlantic
(straight and curved spaces).9 It is as if the sea were not only the archetype
of all smooth spaces but the first to undergo a gradual striation gridding it
in one place, then another, on this side and that. The commercial cities par-
ticipated in this striation, and were often innovators; but only the States
were capable of carrying it to completion, of raising it to the global level of a
"politics of science."10 A dimensionality that subordinated directionality,
or superimposed itself upon it, became increasingly entrenched.

I will keep everyone updated with what I find. I hope for lots of help thank you.

• Upvote 2

I think this is a solid premise for an aff and there are a lot of ways to develop it.  You should start with a direct link between the sea/ocean as an object/subject and its direct relation to an interpretation of the resolution.  One route might be to increase the development of "nothing" in the ocean.  In real terms that would mean buying out or partitioning off the ocean one bit at a time for the sole purpose of keeping it clear and empty.  This is not a-priori ethical or normatively good, but it opens up space for a lot of useful thought experiments that can have useful outcomes.  

Another way of explicating the evidence you have is to interpret the resolution itself as an attempt to explore the ocean, to map out the potential ways of exploiting it for use value, meaning whatever side of the resolution you take you are inextricably linked to this unpacking process that benefits capitalism.  The aff might then make arguments about delinking epistemology from capitalism at the molecular level or other arguments about problematizing doxa.  

I have a few more ideas but I'll be saving those for the Digital Debate Camp :)

• Upvote 6

maury, could you explain the card posted above?

It's basically that the Sea was the epitome of smooth space and that because it was the epitome of the smooth space, it was the first to be striated by the State. It got striated by the State through the use of the State-Appropriated war-machine that mapped the ocean and gave it a use solely for naval warfare. 

On a side note - if you keep reading, as in literally 2 pages after this - DnG go on to talk about how the Sea was also the first to become deterritorialized by the capitalist-machine and reterritorialized by the capitalist-machine into smooth space - but this wasn't necessarily good; the only purpose of that was for the State to have a greater stranglehold on the smooth space - a State-Appropriate Nomadic War-Machine. 

At least that's what I THINK it says...

Edited by IrunASPECandiloveit
  • Upvote 1

On 3/3/2014 at 8:29 PM, ultrapanda7 said:

The sea is a prime example of smooth space that is slowly being entrenched by the striated

Deleuze and Guttari 87' (A Thousand Plateus Published by the University of Minnesota Press

lord are you reading pirates

Edited by Topiarey

Plan text

Plank Plank 1: The USFG should pass and enact the Law of the Sea

Plan Plank 2: The USFG should substantially increases development in Earth's oceans by doing nothing

That's the plantext I am choosing, but i will probably write on multiples(mapping Earth's oceans seems like a possibility.

• Upvote 2

Plan text

Plank Plank 1: The USFG should pass and enact the Law of the Sea

Plan Plank 2: The USFG should substantially increases development in Earth's oceans by doing nothing

That's the plantext I am choosing, but i will probably write on multiples(mapping Earth's oceans seems like a possibility.

If you're going to be running a DnG Aff; Plan Plank 1 could be turned against you; you're striating the Sea by passing "Law of the Sea" - unless this "Law of the Sea" is something created by you.

• Upvote 1

Plan text

I think generally for a cap aff and especially for DnG you should probably shy away from centering criticism around a plan text as the avenue for criticism.

Another way of explicating the evidence you have is to interpret the resolution itself as an attempt to explore the ocean, to map out the potential ways of exploiting it for use value, meaning whatever side of the resolution you take you are inextricably linked to this unpacking process that benefits capitalism.  The aff might then make arguments about delinking epistemology from capitalism at the molecular level or other arguments about problematizing doxa. 

Maury is pretty on point with interpreting the resolution, delinking epistemology, etc. So far, your best bet seems like a role of the ballot/advocacy around one of these ideas.

• Upvote 5