I'm a novice and I'm pretty comfortable with the thesis of the anthro kritik. This is the first kritik I'm comfortable going for in the 2NR. I've never gone for a kritik before in the 2NR so I'm not exactly sure how to properly extend the framework and the alternative and the shell and how to allocate the 2NR properly. Could anyone help explain how my 2NR should be structured? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

When I am 2nr anthro I will of course extend the most important arguments of the K, and then I will do impact calc, an overview, and voters. Pretty much what I do and it seems to work.

root cause, impacts, sell your alt to the judge

usually anthro has "root cause" claims -- ableism, racism, etc. stem from a dichotomy between nature and humanity.

impacts -- neverending genocide of the non-human world, justifies racism, whatever you're running, preach that this has happened * will keep happening

alt -- global suicide? why is this competitive? why should judge advocate for the idea of global suicide?

reject speciesist discourse -- why?? what will it do? 

on framework: why yours is the best, why theirs sucks. it's as simple as that. idk about running f/w with anthro on neg unless they f/w out, or if your judge defaults policymaker -- global suicide/rejection of speciesist discourse aren't exactly policy options. 

• Upvote 1

Read this card in the block on FW:

Criticism is a pre-requisite to politics.

Parenti, ’95(Michael, Ph.D. from Yale and former Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, D.C., “Democracy for the Few,†ST, Marin’s Press, p. 5)

Sometimes the complaint is made: “You’re good at criticizing the system, but what would you put in its place?†the implication being that unless you have a finished blueprint for a better society, you should refrain from pointing out existing deficiencies and injustices.  But this book is predicated on the notion that it is desirable and necessary for human beings to examine the society in which they live, possibly as a step toward making fundamental improvements.It is unreasonable to demand that we refrain from making a diagnosis of an illness until we have perfected a cure.  For how can we hope to find solutions unless we really understand the problem? (In any case, suggestions for fundamental changes are offered in the closing chapter and in other parts of the book).

Then in the 2NR when the card is dropped, or not answered sufficiently, explain that it means your framework comes first because we have look critically at the world before we can come up with good political solutions and their attempt at focusing on purely policy options means we never create successful solutions to problems.

Also, make your ROB fit the K, so you get substantial ground over the aff, but make sure it allows the aff to weigh their case against the alternative. That gets rid of most legit fairness claims while winning education because it allows for policy and critical education together, and with Parenti you win best policy option claims as well. Its a pretty solid card.

As far as the structure of the 2NR, I start with FW at the top, win that. Then I go to the link, perm, and alt solvency debates with a heavy analytic focus rather than just extending cards. Then I do any other stupid LBL stuff (impact turns, inevitability, cede the political) then I spend the rest of the  time I have doing turns case, impact outweigh, and other general impact comparison stuff.

Then in the 2NR when the card is dropped, or not answered sufficiently, explain that it means your framework comes first because we have look critically at the world before we can come up with good political solutions and their attempt at focusing on purely policy options means we never create successful solutions to problems.

Not that this isn't a good argument, but any team with an ounce of experienced will be prepared for this argument and will probably cover it sufficiently in the rebuttals.  Don't rely on teams to drop arguements

• Upvote 2

Another thing that's good to do with a K is to read a value to life impact in the block.  What you can do with this is go up in your 2nr and say,"No value to life without our alternative"  Then from there you can take out their extinction impacts.

With Anthro, it really depends on what kind of Role of the Ballot arguments you're making and the standards that the affirmative is going for in the 1AR. As far as things such as education and portable skills, Anthro arguably has the best in-roads into the affirmative standards. And depending on what your alternative is, their framework may not necessarily exclude your alternative mechanism.

As for the impact debate, the daily slaughter of millions of species probably outweighs human extinction and is a moral travesty in and of itself. And this may not be that relevant if, perhaps, your alternative is to advocate for the global suicide of humanity.

Also for the K , in general you should just boil it down to the key args that you win on, so in the Case of Anthro say , how the Alt  and the Impact act as either a case turn , where human extinction good  ,and then play that story with the Role of the Ballot Arg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1