Okay, I'm a rising junior out of Texas

I've qualled for both TFA and UIL state, and I'm really looking for a place that will get me to outrounds of state, ToC, etc.

At this point I'm pretty much set to go to Northwestern anyway, but I wanna know what to expect. I've heard NHSI is pretty policy focused- exactly how policy focused. Also, I wanna know what they mean by field trips.

Just a rundown of the Northwestern Camp experience would be great. It's obviously not too late to change my mind, so if you have any suggestions as to a better 4-week camp would be, that would be cool.

Also, what are the rising junior lab leaders like this year? 

Thanks guys

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Go to Gonzaga 5 Week Scholars if possible -- the labs are absolutely amazing, and its by far the best camp you can get for the price you pay (its sooooo inexpensive, wow!) They also offer a 4 week program thats awesome! (Get a partial meal plan, if any)

• Upvote 1

I went to Northwestern last year, and it was overall a great camp experience. It is policy focused in the sense that most of the files turned out there are policy files, i.e. no Wilderson or OOO. However, it is not anti-K by any means if that's what you're worried about, and in fact I would say that it's the opposite. There was actually quite a lot of instruction about Ks in general both in lectures and lab (if you want to learn about actual Marxist theory, Tripp Rebrovick's Cap K lecture is legendary), and there was actually a very solid performance aff turned out - Brophy Prep ran it at camp, and is still doing extremely well on the national circuit with it. It goes without saying that the staff there is amazing, and include some of the best K minds, policy minds, and debate minds in general - you should spend as much time as humanly possible talking to Abe Corrigan (although he was in the sophomore lab last year) about the K, and all the college debaters are very knowledgable about that stuff as well. Although I will say that the 4-week junior lab was probably the weakest in terms of lab leaders and debaters, or at least it was last year. If you can go to the 6-week lab, you'll be in a MUCH better place, in one of the most competitive labs in the country and some of the best coaches on the college circuit (Dave Arnett is god). 

The "field trip" is a one day excursion into Chicago (Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc).  

I went to Northwestern last year, and it was overall a great camp experience. It is policy focused in the sense that most of the files turned out there are policy files, i.e. no Wilderson or OOO. However, it is not anti-K by any means if that's what you're worried about, and in fact I would say that it's the opposite. There was actually quite a lot of instruction about Ks in general both in lectures and lab (if you want to learn about actual Marxist theory, Tripp Rebrovick's Cap K lecture is legendary), and there was actually a very solid performance aff turned out - Brophy Prep ran it at camp, and is still doing extremely well on the national circuit with it. It goes without saying that the staff there is amazing, and include some of the best K minds, policy minds, and debate minds in general - you should spend as much time as humanly possible talking to Abe Corrigan (although he was in the sophomore lab last year) about the K, and all the college debaters are very knowledgable about that stuff as well. Although I will say that the 4-week junior lab was probably the weakest in terms of lab leaders and debaters, or at least it was last year. If you can go to the 6-week lab, you'll be in a MUCH better place, in one of the most competitive labs in the country and some of the best coaches on the college circuit (Dave Arnett is god). 

The "field trip" is a one day excursion into Chicago (Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, etc).  

Thanks. Could you explain to me why the 4-week camp is so inferior to the 6-week?

Edited by GeminthePoop