ktg9616

T in the 2AC

I'm generally fine with this, but in certain debates where there are a lot of arguments I always end up spending more time on T in the 2AC than i should. How long should your 2AC T block be? What's the standard for 1AR/2AR expansion of 2AC arguments? Should they be blippy?

I'm generally fine with this, but in certain debates where there are a lot of arguments I always end up spending more time on T in the 2AC than i should. How long should your 2AC T block be? What's the standard for 1AR/2AR expansion of 2AC arguments? Should they be blippy?

Somewhat blippy and no more than a minute, unless your plan has a serious topicality problem.

• Upvote 2

the 1AR should vary depending on how much of the block is dedicated to T. your 2AC shouldn't be very long, but should identify the best arguments as to why your inter is good. if you have time you could add some breadth better than depth, but that can also be done in the 1AR. unless the block spends a large portion of time on T it probably shouldn't be too much more than like 1 1/2 minutes of the 1AR. that's how i do it. i mean, you obviously need to adequately cover T in the 1AR, but Edgehopper is right, unless you really bite the violation and your interp isn't all that great, you shouldn't spend took ugh time on it (unless you read a K aff and they go like 1 of, but i'm assuming that isn't the case)

• Upvote 1

If you have a clearly topical aff, we meet and line by line on the standards, should be enough, it should be like 30-45 seconds depending on how fast you are and how many standards they read--counter standards you want to read. If you run an untopical aff or run into a violation that clearly applies, you probably want to spend anywhere from 1:30-2:00 on it

• Upvote 1

Depends on how many arguments there are, how many Ts, how well you can cross-apply across Ts, and how solidly topical your case is.  I could easily see up to 2 minutes on the first T violation if you're worried about T and there's more than one.  (Ideally, every other T you'd cross-apply your standards/voters arguments and just give a we meet or two).

• Upvote 2

If you have a clearly topical aff, we meet and line by line on the standards, should be enough, it should be like 30-45 seconds depending on how fast you are and how many standards they read--counter standards you want to read. If you run an untopical aff or run into a violation that clearly applies, you probably want to spend anywhere from 1:30-2:00 on it

Yes, I was very annoyed at the semis judge in your round that thought your T block was weak because you didn't have much more than a we meet. Not that your Marijuana Aff doesn't have some T problems, but T-EE = Induce change in other country isn't one of them. :).

And don't you feel a little disturbed that she was the swing judge to get you into finals? :)

Yes, I was very annoyed at the semis judge in your round that thought your T block was weak because you didn't have much more than a we meet. Not that your Marijuana Aff doesn't have some T problems, but T-EE = Induce change in other country isn't one of them. :).

And don't you feel a little disturbed that she was the swing judge to get you into finals? :)

Yeah we were hoping to sweep the table and pick up 14 ballots, but whatevz. Also I've had her before as a judge so I knew that I would win her ballot with a good 1AR with clean line by line and by and smart decisions. What did you think about the Kicking unconditional alts voter, because she was the only one to pull the trigger there it seemed