ok, so this is probably a supes stupid question, but would a non-unique da with an alternative (framed like a K) be legit? Or would you just have to concede presumption, lay out impacts of the squo and plan, and run a cp?

ok, so this is probably a supes stupid question, but would a non-unique da with an alternative (framed like a K) be legit? Or would you just have to concede presumption, lay out impacts of the squo and plan, and run a cp?

Give us the structure of that for the 1NC. When would the alternative be introduced? Technically, DA uniqueness is an alternative (if you want to think of it that way). If you introduce a new alternative/counterplan in the block, then you get into some theoretical issues.

Give us the structure of that for the 1NC. When would the alternative be introduced? Technically, DA uniqueness is an alternative (if you want to think of it that way). If you introduce a new alternative/counterplan in the block, then you get into some theoretical issues.

specifically, I was wondering about this in regards to a heg loss DA linked to a venezuela aff, in light of some recent transpirations in Venezuela. so, it'd be something like (read in the 1nc):

• Link: increased ee with venezuela=decreased US credibility; decreased US credibility=decreased US heg
  • (some sort of impact)
  • Alt: Decrease ee with venezuela.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to read an alternative without having to actually get into the logistics of cp plan text. And that's where the absurdity of this question comes in i guess. Like, do I actually have to run a full-blown cp?

specifically, I was wondering about this in regards to a heg loss DA linked to a venezuela aff, in light of some recent transpirations in Venezuela. so, it'd be something like (read in the 1nc):

• Link: increased ee with venezuela=decreased US credibility; decreased US credibility=decreased US heg
  • (some sort of impact)
  • Alt: Decrease ee with venezuela.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to read an alternative without having to actually get into the logistics of cp plan text. And that's where the absurdity of this question comes in i guess. Like, do I actually have to run a full-blown cp?

Either a CP or a K. 

You can run a pure non-philosophy K here with a thesis: we shouldn't engage countries that undermine us, and the alt is to stop engaging VZ. (With that link and whatever your impact is).  That sounds closer to what you want to argue than a CP (which should have specific implementation), but it'll sound a lot like a CP to a lot of people.

Edited by Squirrelloid

Either a CP or a K. 

You can run a pure non-philosophy K here with a thesis: we shouldn't engage countries that undermine us, and the alt is to stop engaging VZ. (With that link and whatever your impact is).  That sounds closer to what you want to argue than a CP (which should have specific implementation), but it'll sound a lot like a CP to a lot of people.

Wouldn't that just be a shunning K?

Wouldn't that just be a shunning K?

Shunning K says we have a moral obligation to shun.  This is a practical reason, not a moral obligation.

Shunning K says we have a moral obligation to shun.  This is a practical reason, not a moral obligation.

sounds pretty Kantian to me

sounds pretty Kantian to me

Okay, I've had the misfortune to actually read Kant, and I have no idea what you mean. xP  (Since when did practicality have anything to do with Kant?)

Okay, I've had the misfortune to actually read Kant, and I have no idea what you mean. xP  (Since when did practicality have anything to do with Kant?)

I Kant understand this

It was a pun on Kant's Critique of Practical Reason.

• Upvote 2