hellah

Summer camps for rising Sophomores

As a rising sophomore, I'm looking into camps. I am a freshman novice right now, and I've done pretty well and somehow ended up with some trophies haha, so i'm looking to get an edge before my first year on Varsity. I'm currently looking into Georgetown, Gonzaga Sophomores, and UNTIF Sophomore Select. My concerns are 

1. If Georgetown teaches kritikal topics? Like how to answers K's and how to run K's.

2. If Gonzaga 5 weeks is too long and gets boring/too tiring

3. If UNTIF's location is too hot and not enjoyable

4. If UNTIF is too critically oriented.

I'm looking for a solid camp where I can learn both sides (policy and critical) and have a fun time. Thanks!

P.S. I'm open to any suggestions :) but I'd like to not spend TOO much money. 

As a rising sophomore, I'm looking into camps. I am a freshman novice right now, and I've done pretty well and somehow ended up with some trophies haha, so i'm looking to get an edge before my first year on Varsity. I'm currently looking into Georgetown, Gonzaga Sophomores, and UNTIF Sophomore Select. My concerns are 

1. If Georgetown teaches kritikal topics? Like how to answers K's and how to run K's.

Yes.

2. If Gonzaga 5 weeks is too long and gets boring/too tiring

No.

No.

4. If UNTIF is too critically oriented.

No.

I'm looking for a solid camp where I can learn both sides (policy and critical) and have a fun time. Thanks!

P.S. I'm open to any suggestions :) but I'd like to not spend TOO much money. 

If you're going to go to the UTNIF, I would recommend attending the skills lab, not sophomore select. I'm a sophomore now, and I believe that skills is better simply because you get extra practice (through two camp tournaments), but also because skills provides you with a diversity of lab leaders with two completely different ones during GRIPES. Skills is an excellent lab and gets you more experience debating than Sophomore Select does, in my personal opinion. 

PS: Austin is very hot during the summer, but it is still EXTREMELY enjoyable. It's a great town, so don't worry about the weather

Edited by jeetay
  • Upvote 2

I'm a rising sophomore attending UMich Classic for 4 weeks. pretty reasonably priced and its a fantastic camp. you should look into it. 

• Upvote 1

On the whole, last year's sophomore select campers saw less improvement and less success (at least from the perspective of the rest of us) than those who were in skills or TRI. UTNIF skills is pretty well known for its success with rising sophomores, and if you do attend, don't be discouraged if you end up in bottom lab (those are the debaters that saw the most improvement in my mind).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Austin is very hot during the summer, but it is still EXTREMELY enjoyable. It's a great town, so don't worry about the weather

The campus is pretty gorgeous, and they do a great job circulating lab locations so you get the full campus tour experience (underneath some pretty sweet shade I may add).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Went to Georgetown last summer as a rising sophomore and it was a great experience. There are plenty of kritikal lectures and discussions and it's a great experience if you want to become a well rounded debater. (plus great food, they give you a $400 meal card for you to go anywhere on campus :D

• Upvote 2

There's no such thing as too hot in Texas! 

In all seriousness, after a few days in the Texas heat, you'll start to get used to it

Edited by CodyGustafson