TheWingedDebater

Best Mexico Cases?

So now that the season is basically over for a lot of us, what was the best mexico case you saw this year? I think the small modular reactors was the best shocker but overall border POE's ended up being the hardest to take down because judges just like securing the border... even more.

Venezuela was dumb or squirrelly and Cuba was embargo or something somewhat un-topical.

i literally went against 1 mexico aff and it was like... border crossings.

i have UIL state left and i don't know if i'll be going, but if so i will probably be reading maquilas and zapatistas. big fan of maquilas but i havent really seen a lot of great lit on zapatistas -- half because i haven't looked and half because nobody here has really talked about it.

but my vote goes either to Ni Una Mas or maquilas in general

So now that the season is basically over for a lot of us, what was the best mexico case you saw this year? I think the small modular reactors was the best shocker but overall border POE's ended up being the hardest to take down because judges just like securing the border... even more.

Venezuela was dumb or squirrelly and Cuba was embargo or something somewhat un-topical.

How was SMR's shocking? It's just last years college equivalent to HSR, but with a card linking it to Mexico.

• Upvote 1

Mexico affs were generally frustrating because of the lack of decent generalizeable disadvantages/CPs against them.  Unless of course you like running PTX every round.  That doesn't mean many of them were particularly good.

That said, I did like P: pass enabling legislation for TBA (w/o poison pill amendment), which Congress actually did in December.  Advocating for plans that end up actually happening is fun.  Sometimes Congress does overcome inherent barriers.

I also like glg's marijauna case, although I think it could still be improved.  The kritikal advantages are really strong, but the policy advantages aren't nearly as good.

I definitely haven't liked all the small-ball plans with Mexico this year, nor all the questionable inherency plans (we're doing it, but we need to do more - renewables is a prime offender).  I'm very sad that I haven't heard a feminist Aff all year, especially since feminist indicts of traditional interpretations of what comprises the economy would really open up 'economic engagement' in a lot of interesting ways.  (I wrote a feminist Aff, but I'm sadly never going to get to hear it).

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

Mexico affs were generally frustrating because of the lack of decent generalizeable disadvantages/CPs against them.  Unless of course you like running PTX every round.  That doesn't mean many of them were particularly good.

That said, I did like P: pass enabling legislation for TBA (w/o poison pill amendment), which Congress actually did in December.  Advocating for plans that end up actually happening is fun.  Sometimes Congress does overcome inherent barriers.

I also like glg's marijauna case, although I think it could still be improved.  The kritikal advantages are really strong, but the policy advantages aren't nearly as good.

I definitely haven't liked all the small-ball plans with Mexico this year, nor all the questionable inherency plans (we're doing it, but we need to do more - renewables is a prime offender).  I'm very sad that I haven't heard a feminist Aff all year, especially since feminist indicts of traditional interpretations of what comprises the economy would really open up 'economic engagement' in a lot of interesting ways.  (I wrote feminist Aff, but I'm sadly never going to get to hear it).

You may hear one next weekend :)

I've heard about 2 Feminist aff's in my area, one was venezuela and the other is a women of Juarez aff...

Regarding SMR's being a shock, I didn't follow college debate last year, and the team that broke was in the middle of the season and just ran with it for a while, so we pulled neg up on it, my primary source was actually a college source but it was at least interesting for us.

• Upvote 1

I've heard about 2 Feminist aff's in my area, one was venezuela and the other is a women of Juarez aff...

Regarding SMR's being a shock, I didn't follow college debate last year, and the team that broke was in the middle of the season and just ran with it for a while, so we pulled neg up on it, my primary source was actually a college source but it was at least interesting for us.

Ah, okay. I periodically download everything I can find on opensource and sort it so I'd seen it everywhere. While a lot of it is useless in my hyper-conservative district, there's occasionally something useful.

• Upvote 1

Personally I'm a fan of the secretly pay Mexico to recreate the Alamo then do nothing about it aff. The advantages are Texas secession and Mexican relations.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

Probably biased, but one of the most innovative affs I've seen is the Mexico Space aff:

http://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/bin/Parkway+West/Gondi-Santangelo+Aff

It really only works with lay judges, but interesting nonetheless.

Why does it only work with lay judges? Seems pretty effective to me.