KTricksfordays

Oceans Ks

So basically any one of infinite kritiks? 

fixed

• Upvote 4

The team that responds with a counter-performance of "I'm On A Boat" by Lonely Island wins this round instantly if I'm judging.

Going off of the "I'm On A Boat" idea, what about using it as an "overproduction collapses the System" Baudrillard type aff (I know I just butchered explaining this aff in relation to Baudrillard, but hopefully you get the idea), or as an Irony aff?

I think some form of environmental apocalyptic framing K will have a lot of ground, due to that arguments like Baudrillard, Mao, Neitzche, and Taoism.

Also, I do unfortunately think the Cap K will be back. 

I think some form of environmental apocalyptic framing K will have a lot of ground, due to that arguments like Baudrillard, Mao, Neitzche, and Taoism.

Hyperobjects K

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1

Hyperobjects K

Hyperobjects aff! Morton came out with a book last year called Hyperobjects and Bryant just recently released Ontocartography or whatever so I'm sure an OOO aff is doable

Hyperobjects aff! Morton came out with a book last year called Hyperobjects and Bryant just recently released Ontocartography or whatever so I'm sure an OOO aff is doable

You wouldn't happen to have a PDF copy of that?

You wouldn't happen to have a PDF copy of that?

Nope, sorry. It came out very recently, so I'd be surprised if there's a PDF at all out there yet. I'd try to buy the book yourself though, if only to support Bryant but also to get cutting quicker / make sections of it available to others

Nope, sorry. It came out very recently, so I'd be surprised if there's a PDF at all out there yet. I'd try to buy the book yourself though, if only to support Bryant but also to get cutting quicker / make sections of it available to others

What is this purchasing of books you speak of? It is a foreign concept to the denizens of this establishment.

• Upvote 1

Is hyperobjects different from OOO?

Yes. Hyper objects looks like it's about global warming (http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/hyperobjects) but I only looked for maybe 5 seconds.

OOO is basically that objects have agency.

Edit: If you don't know, OOO stands for Object Oriented Ontology.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

Is hyperobjects different from OOO?

Yes.

Hyperobjects is more about the way that our enviorment (and most specifically warming) frames things around us and how it influences our politics, and ontology or art. 

While OOO is more about the agency of objects, and less about how they affect our culture around us. 

Just for the record, it looks like the book hasn't even been published yet. It's called Onto-Cartography, and it seems set to be released in May of this year. If someone already has a PDF of it, you're into some upper level theft or witchcraft. Either or.

• Upvote 2

this is what I was thinking, but I couldn't find any lit on it.

For you lazies out there:

Deleuze and Guattari ‘87(Deleuze, Gilles, and Félix Guattari. A Thousand Plateaus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia. French philosophers. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1987. Print.)

The Maritime Model. Of course, there are points, lines, and surfaces in striated space as well as in smooth space (there are also volumes, but we will leave this question aside for the time being). In striated space, lines or trajectories tend to be subordinated to points: one goes from one point to another. In the smooth, it is the opposite: the points are subordinated to the trajectory.This was already the case among the nomads for the clothes-tent-space vector of the outside. The dwelling is subordinated to the journey; inside space conforms to outside space: tent, igloo, boat. There are stops and trajectories in both the smooth and the striated. But in smooth space, the stop follows from the trajectory; once again, the interval takes all, the interval is substance (forming the basis for rhythmic values). 6 In smooth space, the line is therefore a vector, a direction and not a dimension or metric determination. It is a space constructed by local operations involving changes in direction. These changes in direction may be due to the nature of the journey itself, as with the nomads of the archipela-1440: THE SMOOTH AND THE STRIATED D 479 goes (a case of "directed" smooth space); but it is more likely to be due to the variability of the goal or point to be attained, as with the nomads of the desert who head toward local, temporary vegetation (a "nondirected" smooth space). Directed or not, and especially in the latter case, smooth space is directional rather than dimensional or metric. Smooth space is filled by events or haecceities, far more than by formed and perceived things. It is a space of affects, more than one of properties. It is haptic rather than optical perception. Whereas in the striated forms organize a matter, in the smooth materials signal forces and serve as symptoms for them. It is an intensive rather than extensive space, one of distances, not of measures and properties. Intense Spatium instead of Extensio.A Body without Organs instead of an organism and organization. Perception in it is based on symptoms and evaluations rather than measures and properties. That is why smooth space is occupied by intensities, wind and noise, forces, and sonorous and tactile qualities, as in the desert, steppe, or ice. 7 The creaking of ice and the song of the sands. Striated space, on the contrary, is canopied by the sky as measure and by the measurable visual qualities deriving from it. This is where the very special problem of the sea enters in. For the sea is a smooth space par excellence, and yet was the first to encounter the demands of increasingly strict striation. The problem did not arise in proximity to land. On the contrary, the striation of the sea was a result of navigation on the open water. Maritime space was striated as a function of two astronomical and geographical gains: bearings, obtained by a set of calculations based on exact observation of the stars and the sun; and the map, which intertwines meridians and parallels, longitudes and latitudes, plotting regions known and unknown onto a grid (like a Mendeleyev table). Must we accept the Portuguese argument and assign 1440 as the turning point that marked the first decisive striation, and set the stage for the great discoveries? Rather, we will follow Pierre Chaunu when he speaks of an extended confrontation at sea between the smooth and the striated during the course of which the striated progressively took hold. 8 For before longitude lines had been plotted, a very late development, there existed a complex and empirical nomadic system of navigation based on the wind and noise, the colors and sounds of the seas;then camea directional, preastronomical or already astronomical, system of navigation employing only latitude, in which there was no possibility of "taking one's bearings," and which had only portolanos lacking "translatable generalization" instead of true maps; finally, improvements upon this primitive astronomical navigation were made under the very special conditions of the latitudes of the Indian Ocean, then of the elliptical circuits of the Atlantic (straight and curved spaces). 9 It is as if the sea were not only the archetype0 480 â–¡ 1440: THE SMOOTH AND THE STRIATED of all smooth spaces butthe first to undergo a gradual striation gridding it in one place, then another, on this side and that. The commercial cities participated in this striation, and were often innovators; but only the States were capable of carrying it to completion, of raising it to the global level of a "politics of science." 10 A dimensionality that subordinated directionality, or superimposed itself upon it, became increasingly entrenched. This is undoubtedly why the sea, the archetype of smooth space, was also the archetype of all striations of smooth space: the striation of the desert, the air, the stratosphere (prompting Virilio to speak of a "vertical coastline," as a change in direction). It was at sea that smooth space was first subjugated and a model found for the laying-out and imposition of striated space, a model later put to use elsewhere. This does not contradict Virilio's other hypothesis: in the aftermath of striation, the sea reimparts a kind of smooth space, occupied first by the "fleet in being," then by the perpetual motion of the strategic submarine, which outflanks all gridding and invents a neonomadism in the service of a war machine still more disturbing than the States, which reconstitute it at the limit of their striations. The sea, then the air and the stratosphere, become smooth spaces again, but, in the strangest of reversals, it is for the purpose of controlling striated space more completely. 11 The smooth always possesses a greater power of deterritorialization than the striated. When examining the new professions, or new classes even, how can one fail to mention the military technicians who stare into screens night and day and live for long stretches in strategic submarines (in the future it will be on satellites), and the apocalyptic eyes and ears they have fashioned for themselves, which can barely distinguish any more between a natural phenomenon, a swarm of locusts, and an "enemy" attack originating at any given point? All of this serves as a reminder that the smooth itself can be drawn and occupied by diabolical powers of organization; value judgments aside, this demonstrates above all that there exist two nonsymmetrical movements,one of which striates the smooth, and one of which reimparts smooth space on the basis of the striated. (Do not new smooth spaces, or holey spaces, arise as parries even in relation to the smooth space of a worldwide organization? Virilio invokes the beginnings of subterranean habitation in the "mineral layer," which can take on very diverse values.)

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 2

When did it ever leave?

• Upvote 1

Going off of the "I'm On A Boat" idea, what about using it as an "overproduction collapses the System" Baudrillard type aff (I know I just butchered explaining this aff in relation to Baudrillard, but hopefully you get the idea), or as an Irony aff?

Irony Aff's are soooooooo good. Eagle proves.

• Upvote 1

Lol. I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but anyway, we stopped running them, mostly because I thought they were bad all along and then I brought my partner around to that point of view. Irony affs are hard to defend and are generally not the best. 

I have finished writing an amazing development PIK. I am thinking development will be more important than exploration since exploration is bit less specific of what you have to be doing as long as you have a plan mechanism and a location to explore. I can expect some butt hurt teams after I run this K.

• Downvote 1

Imperialism will be here for sure , but how do you devlop an Irony Aff ?

Pick something you want to criticize and turn your case into satire. I recommend not using racism as your focus of criticism though, that can lead to misunderstandings and awkward situations. Look at #CancelColbert for a prime example.

Possible a real killer perfomance Neolib aff /counterpefromance of the Song Ocean , by Jay Z .  Just go on and on about how the Ocean is a big metaphor where those who benfit from the Neoliberal mindset go enjoy life , with their yachts and other things for the higher class

:Flame: Let's just burn that idea please.