Felix Hoenikker

Thirst for Annihilation K

File Name: Thirst for Annihilation K

File Submitter: Felix Hoenikker

File Submitted: 09 Feb 2014

File Category: Critiques

Resolution: Latin America

A Bataille Cap K that relies heavily on Nick Land's Thirst for Annihilation reading though is supported by a diversity of other authors. Can function as a K of many other anti-cap affirmatives and many affs that just take the economy as a mechanism or management task.

A brief explanation of the argument:
Against most (neo)Marx affs or any aff that deals with the economy for the most part this is a method criticism about the ontological/epistemic implications of framing debates in terms of scarcity, productivity, waste, etc. Argues that this framing is what sustains the destructive logics of growth that most critical approaches to the economy attempt to address. Our framing ought to be in terms of excess and solar economies of matter and energy since economic productivity and exchange are often thermodynamic questions. We ought not fear loss, we ought not frame political economy in a productive/wasteful paradigm, we should embrace a solar sovereign (I like to joke Sun King) position, exchange dictated by play not by the question of loss and lack.

Or phrased on other terms, Marxists and many anti-capitalists and even progrowth capitalists more broadly are trying to resolve the question of entropy in economic systems as though this is a negative or problem to be resolved that's just a matter of some inefficiency. Entropy is inevitable and creative, the universe and our relationship to it and the planet are thermodynamic, the economy is not a closed/restricted system, and thus, to borrow from the title of Land's book, 'thirsts for its annihilation.'
1NC Shell 1
Link – Law.. 5
Link – Marxism/Capital Crisis. 6
Link – Marxism... 7
Link – Marxism... 8
Link – Hegelian Marxists (Zizek) 9
Link – Revolution. 10
Link – Revolution. 11
Link/Solvency – Revolution. 12
Link – Revolution (Redistributive) 14
Link – Nature Preservation/Species Die-Off. 15
Link – Food/Animals. 16
Link – Sustainable Energy/Dev/Environment 18
Link – Utility. 20
Link – Independent Subject 21
Link – God. 23
Link – Morality/Justice. 24
Impact – Value to Life. 25
AT What does “Unproductive Expenditure Meanâ€. 26
Alt Solvency/AT Cap = Enjoyment 29
Alt Solvency – Crapitalism’s Bad Shit 30
Alt Solves – Ecology. 31
Alt Solvency – Ethics. 32
Alt Solvency – Left Wing Metaphysics. 33
Alt Solvency – Sovereignty. 34
Accursed Share Best/Inevitable. 35
K Comes First 37
K Comes First 38
K Pre-req to Aff. 39
Historically Refusal of Excess à Subject/Object 41
AT Perm – No NB.. 43
AT Perm – Carrying Capacity DA.. 44
AT Perm – Starting Points. 45
AT Bataille = Cap. 46
AT Bataille = Anarchy. 47
AT Empirically Growth Solves War 48
AT Economic Theory/Policy Based Cap Good. 50
AT Economic Theory/Policy Based Cap Good. 51
AT Psychoanalysis. 52
Mass Revolt Fails. 53

Click here to download this file

• Upvote 2

I tried reading that book, went about ten pages before deciding it was too much work to spend a ton of time learning about it - does the file have a notes, strategy, or explanatory section? Or can you explain what the general link is here, please?

Essentially against most (neo)Marx affs or any aff that deals with the economy for the most part this is a method criticism about the ontological/epistemic implications of framing debates in terms of scarcity, productivity, waste, etc. Argues that this is framing is what sustains the destructive logics of growth that most critical approaches to the economy attempt to address. Our framing ought to be in terms of excess and solar economies of matter and energy since economic productivity and exchange are often thermodynamic questions. We ought not fear loss, we ought not frame political economy in a productive/wasteful paradigm, we should embrace a solar sovereign (I like to joke Sun King) position, exchange dictated by play not by the question of loss and lack.

Or phrased on other terms, Marxists and many anti-capitalists and even progrowth capitalists more broadly are trying to resolve the question of entropy in economic systems as though this is a negative or problem to be resolved that's just a matter of some inefficiency. Entropy is inevitable and creative, the universe and our relationship to it and the planet are thermodynamic, the economy is not a closed/restricted system, and thus, to borrow from the title of Land's book, 'thirsts for its annihilation.'

• Upvote 3

Price reduction to $5 dollars - considering the amount of cards in this and the unique nature of the argument that's a steal.

...is the only way I could get files like these. 

How applicable would you say the theory of a solar economy would be to the real world? There's a reason that economics is framed in scarcity since that's kind of what it is down to its core. How and what to produce given the constraints of limited resources. It seems like it'd be...severance I guess to try and remove scarcity from the equation.

• Upvote 1

...is the only way I could get files like these. 

How applicable would you say the theory of a solar economy would be to the real world? There's a reason that economics is framed in scarcity since that's kind of what it is down to its core. How and what to produce given the constraints of limited resources. It seems like it'd be...severance I guess to try and remove scarcity from the equation.

The argument is that the general economy is framed after scarcity and that's bad because it ignores the possibility of an economy of excess - There are always already things in the world that are part of this "excess" or as Bataille calls it the "unproductive expenditure" which is in and of itself the accursed share; the general economy thus gets this excess and plugs it back into the production process of Capitalism. He dedicates his first entire book of the series to examples of the unproductive expenditure which can be seen in the general economy (i.e. Human Sacrifice, Jewelry, Marshall Plan) - Bataille explains how the economy of scarcity has it's limits and when it tries to plug the excess back into the production process, 1 of two things can happen: 1) It's spent outside of the economy onto other economies, which can be seen with the Marshall Plan or 2) it destroys the domestic economy where the excess was produced; the ultimate manifestation of which would be nuclear holocaust. The only way to escape this is to embrace a solar sovereignty which consumes but never produces - I'm sorry if this is vague, but I kinda only know the bad things about an economy of scarcity; I'm currently looking into the Sovereign position that Bataiile writes about.

• Upvote 1