Solax10

Environment K?

In TOC 2013 in Octos

CK McClatchy read an environment K that says that we are distancing our self from nature and that's bad. Does anyone have some cards or books that talks about the same thing?

Edited by Solax10

I have like a 35 page file on it 

its incomplete but maybe some of the cards would help you if you are interested

the k they ran is called environmental dualism  

I would be interested in it if you don't mind.

This K is going to be awesome for next year.

My coach had a really awesome idea for a critical aff next year and these cards will be awesome.

That Environmental Dualism K seems like it would link hard to a NADBank aff. The concept doesn't seem to complex, but that can sometimes means that it's flying over the head. Is the K as simple as it seems?

That Environmental Dualism K seems like it would link hard to a NADBank aff. The concept doesn't seem to complex, but that can sometimes means that it's flying over the head. Is the K as simple as it seems?

Environmental dualism= isolating a delineation between humans and nature. AKA, in the words of John Spurlock (TOC round), we "can still be the best animals in nature, but we ARE PART OF NATURE." It links hard to any aff that isolates a form of "civilization" that humans have created (hegemony advantages, especially). It's not great on this topic, but it would have been amazing on the space topic and infrastructure, since most of the affs were about how we can improve our tech to counteract nature or extend "civilization." That's my understanding of it anyways.

Sort of irrelevant, but is this degree of spreading typical of large schools/organizations/events? Having only had the privilege of listening to this blather a few times, I can't fathom that this is considered debate.

Sort of irrelevant, but is this degree of spreading typical of large schools/organizations/events? Having only had the privilege of listening to this blather a few times, I can't fathom that this is considered debate.

Welcome to actual educational debate. If you're going to argue that spreading is bad for debate, you're fighting an uphill battle here. See the thread in Culture about spreading and its values/disadvantages.

Welcome to actual educational debate. If you're going to argue that spreading is bad for debate, you're fighting an uphill battle here. See the thread in Culture about spreading and its values/disadvantages.

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

• Upvote 8

this is a very good, albeit simplistic K- i think the strongest part of it is the floating pik argument, (also) in the words of spurlock "its not what you do, but how you do it"... dont read it for this year's topic though, i agree with ktg that the links are weak. 

i DO think that the Dark Mountain card is super good for any sort of "human progress" link and can also go along really well with an ecomanagerialism k.