what is this 2006?

edit: Oh, I didn't see it was LD.  What SCUFI files?  I have some of them.

Edited by KimJongUn

I've never gone to LD camp so I wouldn't know, but why isn't there an open evidence for the camp files LDers put out? Or do they even make camp files, or is it all individual work?

I've never gone to LD camp so I wouldn't know, but why isn't there an open evidence for the camp files LDers put out? Or do they even make camp files, or is it all individual work?

They make cam files but srsly there is no open evidence....

LD open evidence would be both misleading and potentially harmful to the very people that would rely on such files to debate (notice i said rely and not "use only for reference", implying novices and small schools with little to no resources)

1st) LD resolutions are limited to a 2 month span, and most topics are not chosen until 1-2 months before and released until maybe 4 weeks at most before the topic begins. This means open evidence would essentially be just a laundry list of A2's and understanding philosophy, which at first may seem fine, but I'll elaborate below. For now treat this point as saying that the work done at camp cannot be 100% topic specific unless the LD'ers somehow research every and all potential topics and post their findings, unfortunately, as told by my friend who went to VBI, there is simply not enough time to go in depth into each and every topic and, it could potentially be all for nothing if said topics are not chosen.

2nd) LD case writing (at any level) is not simply picking and choosing evidence, it's about understanding the resolution. Anything to do with anthro and understanding the philosophy behind speceism (and all forms of exclusion ergo) is nice and all, but what about when the topic changes to the 2012 state topic (targeted killing)? Good luck on anthro then. Even if one was a genius at philosophy, if he/she didn't understand how the courts system or due process rights worked, they would be utterly destroyed by anyone on the terrorist due process resolution (last year). Understanding a resolution is a pre-requisite to anything else in the context of LD (aside from the very basics of philosophy, such as morality = right vs wrong without delving into the more complex situational philosophies) 

3rd) let's say camps were able to incorporate this somehow ludicrous idea of analyzing each resolution. This would take away from the LD'ers who pay good money to learn and become better than they already are. What about top labs, the kids who are competitive LD'ers with a chance at clearing at the TOC? They don't need to know the basics. 

My view of this is quite simple. Lower level labs should disclose information practices regarding the way debates occur, just as they teach at such labs. These include how to structure a stock case, what a value is, and how one may flow efficiently (or what someone should flow). I believe open evidence (as it stands now) has no true value to LD (haha get it? I said value). Upper labs should disclose critical info in relation to basic philosophies, i.g antiblackness is immoral b/c racism is obviously bad. Also, just want to point out, i know ALOT of LD'ers use the CX files anyway, so why do we need more resources when we have the entire 5+ topics laid out for us in the form of a laundry list of ideas and evidence? Once again, it would be pointless and not help incoming Ld'ers and small school Ld'ers. If anyone disagrees, I'm open to a discussion about this. 

Disclaimer- i ONLY ran K's in LD, i made literally 4 k affs for the entire year last year and would just make res. specific links where i saw fit. Not saying Ld'ers don't run k's, but stock cases are definitely not unheard of at the TOC level, including basic NC cases (from the rounds i saw last year). 

Edited by Deleuze
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1