jacobstime

UIL State 2014 Predictions

Who is up for 1 off K strats, isn't that what the UIL stands for?

if by 1 off K, you mean the financial matters K (novices call it the "spending" DA), then yes.

• Upvote 9

if i were going in 3a i would, more likely than not, be prepared to do 1off-K and my K aff every round if possible

That is a terrible idea in 3a... 1 off K? Be prepared to lose big time with all of those judges. 

Everyone get ready for the one-off k debaters at UIL... ruh-roh.

Don't you dare use Scooby-Doo's catch phrase in vein. Have some slight decency, you savage. You are a terrible Being.

• Upvote 4

I feel like predictions are extremely volatile at UIL. The fact that they only have 4 prelims means that teams that could normally get to Quarters, or even semis, might go 2-2 and not even clear.

• Upvote 2

I feel like predictions are extremely volatile at UIL. The fact that they only have 4 prelims means that teams that could normally get to Quarters, or even semis, might go 2-2 and not even clear.

i wish uil had prefs. would make it more tolerable

Edited by georgebushsdogpaintings

1. "if possible"

2. why do i care about winning and losing in UIL? UIL cx is sort of a joke lmao

Jesse when is the last time you competed at a TOC meet? Or even remotely competed in something outside of the UIL paragdime?

Jesse when is the last time you competed at a TOC meet? Or even remotely competed in something outside of the UIL paragdime?

I had ZZ judge once, then Plano east coach, Snyder, and Titus. also digital debate camp I did two? three? practice rounds

plus me and Logan read a k-ish aff all year and broke at every tournament (then lost to Sudan for some stupid reason)

and I stopped really caring about debate in this area around the middle of the year. I'm just waiting for college now (northwestern please accept me)

• Upvote 1

The only downside to going to Clifton is being limited to just doing UIL. It really sucks.

Our district refuses to let us go to TFA tournaments or NFL districts. I mean hell, even if my partner and I got our asses handed to us, it's just a more fun style of debate. I hate having limits put on me to what I can and cannot run.

• Upvote 1

The only downside to going to Clifton is being limited to just doing UIL. It really sucks.

Our district refuses to let us go to TFA tournaments or NFL districts. I mean hell, even if my partner and I got our asses handed to us, it's just a more fun style of debate. I hate having limits put on me to what I can and cannot run.

I can relate to that. I went to a 1A Division 2 school and we were limited to just UIL as well. I think that problem stems from the idea that most small schools think the UIL is the only organization for academic competition in Texas and that they wouldn't be able to afford to register for TFA. I know at my school, it didn't matter how my partner and I did at TFA tournaments in the season, it mattered how we performed at UIL State. 

Edited by KarlLikeMarx
  • Upvote 1

I can relate to that. I went to a 1A Division 2 school and we were limited to just UIL as well. I think that problem stems from the idea that most small schools think the UIL is the only organization for academic competition in Texas and that they wouldn't be able to afford to register for TFA. I know at my school, it didn't matter how my partner and I did at TFA tournaments in the season, it mattered how we performed at UIL State. 

It just kind of makes me feel like my partner and I ONLY have UIL state to try to prove ourselves. I love fast-paced, unique debate but it's hard to find in UIL, and if our school decides to do NFL or TFA next year, I think we just won't be used to it. It's kind of a lose-lose situation.

• Upvote 1

It just kind of makes me feel like my partner and I ONLY have UIL state to try to prove ourselves. I love fast-paced, unique debate but it's hard to find in UIL, and if our school decides to do NFL or TFA next year, I think we just won't be used to it. It's kind of a lose-lose situation.

It sucks. But, I know there are more and more college debaters and coaches getting involved in judging UIL debate, so it's slowly getting more progressive. I think it'll ultimately come down to a change in administration at the state level because Janna Riggins doesn't want UIL to debate the same way TFA/NFL/TOC do, so as long as she's here change will be an uphill battle. 

• Upvote 2

It sucks. But, I know there are more and more college debaters and coaches getting involved in judging UIL debate, so it's slowly getting more progressive. I think it'll ultimately come down to a change in administration at the state level because Janna Riggins doesn't want UIL to debate the same way TFA/NFL/TOC do, so as long as she's here change will be an uphill battle. 

wtf? That Logan Kelley kid from Abernathy qualified to state?! I hear he drops condo in every 2AR and his partner can only debate fem IR?

I so confused

• Upvote 1

If anyone is curious, here's a comprehensive list of all the state qualifiers right now. Any blank spots are from districts that don't have anything posted yet. 

Abernathy: The only team with the later letter of their last initial coming first

#hax

• Upvote 1