pinetreedebater

State Help

My partner and I qualified for state but he won't be able to attend so I have to pull up a novice who doesn't understand high level debate . So I was thinking of just running giroux does anyone have extensions or anything on pedagogy?

Which State? If you're in Texas, for UIL State I would not recommend running any complex Ks. Condo CPs are as far as you wanna go. The paradigms may SAY that a judge is fine with a K, but if they can't get turns and stuff through their head, don't do it. 

Edited by ImpactTurn
  • Upvote 3

Did you run this case?

I wouldn't advise running Giroux as an aff at UIL state. 

1st, most judges aren't going to be receptive of it. Even if they say they are okay with kritikal advocacies, I don't think they would be okay with an affirmative essentially bashing policy debate, which you are doing if you're talking about the Giroux cards you're speaking of. 

2nd, if you get a judge that actually is cool with it, having a novice who barely understands high level policy debate run a Giroux affirmative wouldn't be a good idea. 

But, PM me and I'll give you the Giroux aff that I have. 

• Upvote 1

Even if they say they are okay with kritikal advocacies, I don't think they would be okay with an affirmative essentially bashing policy debate, which you are doing if you're talking about the Giroux cards you're speaking of. 

I agree with your general idea (that it'd probably be a no-go for most UIL judges) but Giroux actually loves policy debate! He probably wouldn't like most policy affs - the heg/war kinds - but he's spoken pretty high praises of the activity and its potential on kids before. Literally said that it'd be awesome of more schools opened up more debate clubs across the nation - here's an article with a link to the interview & relevant transcribed excerpt.

Although I might be misinterpreting you - though Giroux doesn't bash policy, his evidence definitely belongs in critiques about our pedagogical methods & the like!

• Upvote 1