Zuul

Big affs

You have your permissions locked.

Sorry. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b1s3BrZjn992-0H_E1kIvnJ6R1WBWuHa3sYWcUvgLco/edit?usp=docslist_api

Should be fine now. I've never written one of these either it's for my novic eyear next year so it's probably bad but it's just a rough outline of some arguments.

Edited by DHGCARBON

I was thinking about running space elevators but most advantages regard space militarianism or space weapon systems so how would you defend against T arguments regarding the whole military aspect of it.

I was thinking about running space elevators but most advantages regard space militarianism or space weapon systems so how would you defend against T arguments regarding the whole military aspect of it.

In those advantages space elevators would be untopical. In my understanding of the resolution (I may be wrong), you can't develop anything with the purpose of military use.

Edit: Just to finish my though, you can't have a plan that goes through the military or has a military use. For example Icebreakers go through the military (coast guard) so it would be untopical.

Edited by Solax10

Space col

impact of the year every year.

In those advantages space elevators would be untopical. In my understanding of the resolution (I may be wrong), you can't develop anything with the purpose of military use.

Edit: Just to finish my though, you can't have a plan that goes through the military or has a military use. For example Icebreakers go through the military (coast guard) so it would be untopical.

I was interpreting it to mean that you can't use military means to achieve something but in the case with space elevators the purpose would be colonization, for example, but could also be used to a achieve military superiority because it it involves non military means of building a space elevator then why does it matter.i could be horribly wrong though.

I was interpreting it to mean that you can't use military means to achieve something but in the case with space elevators the purpose would be colonization, for example, but could also be used to a achieve military superiority because it it involves non military means of building a space elevator then why does it matter.i could be horribly wrong though.

Thats what T debates are for, I think if you word it like the main purpose is space colonization and space superiority is an advantage of that then you would be good to go on that aspect. I just wouldn't say your main purpose is military superiority.

Edited by Solax10

Thats what T debates are for, I think if you word it like the main purpose is space colonization and space superiority is an advantage of that then you would be good to go on that aspect. I just wouldn't say your main purpose is military superiority.

The subpoint name is space dominance. I was going to talk about space to earth missiles, but I guess not anymore. But aside from that what would you say are more potential advantages for space elevators other than colonization

There's no reason you can't get military advantages off a space elevator if you word it right.  T is about plan text in a vacuum---just cuz it results in military leadership doesn't make it untopical.  If you were building it for civilian/exploratory purposes but also the military could use it would probably be T.  Banning anything the military might be able to use would probably overlimit aff ground

• Upvote 2

The subpoint name is space dominance. I was going to talk about space to earth missiles, but I guess not anymore. But aside from that what would you say are more potential advantages for space elevators other than colonization

My partner and I are thinking about running space elevators, if your main purpose is colonization, you can run the advantage of how when rockets are sent into space they destroy the ozone layer. http://www.debatecoaches.org/openev-archive/files/download/Space_Elevators_Aff_7WK.doc has some cards on that. And heres some advantages for colonization it self and it even has some space elevators cards in there. http://www.debatecoaches.org/openev-archive/files/download/Colonization_Aff___Wave_1___KNDI_2011.docx

There's no reason you can't get military advantages off a space elevator if you word it right.  T is about plan text in a vacuum---just cuz it results in military leadership doesn't make it untopical.  If you were building it for civilian/exploratory purposes but also the military could use it would probably be T.  Banning anything the military might be able to use would probably overlimit aff ground

That's what I was getting at.

Does anyone have a good idea other than the Air Force to implement the elevators though? I was thinking maybe NASA.

NASA all the way.

Does anyone have a good idea other than the Air Force to implement the elevators though? I was thinking maybe NASA.

Doesn't matter. Don't specify the agent. Specifying NASA will only get you into deeper shit, like NASA Tradeoff DAs. They would make sense considering the space elevator would probably have to be the #1 priority for NASA for like decades/centuries. Just say "USfg" to avoid the issues of that.

NASA all the way.

Brent, if you're planning on running this at regular MO tournaments, don't. Coaches will HATE it and lays won't get it on a topic dealing with ocean development.

Brent, if you're planning on running this at regular MO tournaments, don't. Coaches will HATE it and lays won't get it on a topic dealing with ocean development.

But space elevators!

The resolution mandates non-military. There is literally no counterinterpretation.

Cross ex: do you use all three branches of gov't? uhhh yeah i guess.  1NC: they're not T cause they are military- the president signs their bill and he's the commander and chief. 

• Upvote 5

But space elevators!

Especially with lay judges, if it doesn't explicitly involve the resolution (and by explicit I mean 100% facepalm simple) it'll basically be "WTF are you talking about". Aff or neg unfortunately (yes I have stories, no I won't post them here).

I'm so mad I just wrote a huge sub point about space elevators because we were talking about it and I got excited. Now I'm writing about space to earth missiles and I forgot how hard it's going to be to prove T when I've take it this far.

Especially with lay judges, if it doesn't explicitly involve the resolution (and by explicit I mean 100% facepalm simple) it'll basically be "WTF are you talking about". Aff or neg unfortunately (yes I have stories, no I won't post them here).

Eh, we decided that we are going to run space elevators at the first tournament if we get decimated then we will switch plans. My partner is amazing at connecting with judges and I think we can explain it simple enough for them to get it, even if it means taking a couple of seconds in the 1ac explaining what the plan is.

Instead of oceans, the NFL shouldve made time cube spec this year's aff. Its the coolest aff case anyone can run. 

• Downvote 14

Solax10 im a little offended by your downvoting of me. You should really research time cube spec before you harshly judge it and me. If you did you would realize that it is an incredible aff.

• Downvote 14

Solax10 im a little offended by your downvoting of me. You should really research time cube spec before you harshly judge it and me. If you did you would realize that it is an incredible aff.

I downvoted you because I would appreciate serious discussions on this thread as I am interested on big possible aff's this year. Time cube isn't a legitimate aff, its a eh theory argument. I would be open to discussion on how you could possible make the time cube argument into an aff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Try running this aff, i used to do it all the time and won state with it. its brilliant. Really takes me back to my glory days.

A. Interpretation - the earth is a 4-sided time cube - the plan text has to specify which side the plan passes on

Ray, No Date [Dr. Gene, Cubic and Wisest Human. “Time Cube.†www.timecube.com
you realize that a 4 corner
square rotating 1/4 turn creates a full
circle? A full rotated square will create
16 corners, 96 hours and 4 simultaneous
24 hour Day circles within only a single
imaginary cubed Earth roation. This
amounts to a spiraling quad helix of
Earth as it revolves around the Sun -
rotating as it revolves around the Sun,
to induce the value of the Sun revolving
about the Earth.

B. Violation - they fail to specify what side the plan passes on

C. Standards

1. Education - 

I can call singularity educators the most 
putrid name on Earth and claim they eat 
cow-dung ambrosia, but the lying ass 
bastards will not even object - for they 
know I am right and that any debate will 
indict them for the evil they perpetuate 
against the students and future humanity.

2. Ground - I lose links to side-specific DAs and counterplans

D. Voting issue

1. Jurisdiction - you lose automatically because
You do not have the freedom
to discuss/debate Time Cube.

2. Death - 
EVERY HUMAN DESERVES DEATH FOR IGNORING SUCH A SUPERNATURAL TRANSCENDENTAL PRINCIPLE.

Ashtar is the spiritual figure for the alien races waging an interstellar war that includes the Sol system [that's ours]. The negative consults Ashtar as a counterplan to solve war and violence and oppression, especially within these races. You can think of Ashtar like an alien Jesus Christ [in fact, some authors directly state that]. Here's a potential 1nc shell, but I'm sure the WGLF has a much better one:

Text: The USFG should engage in binding consultation with Lord Ashtar over <the plan>.

accepting Lord Ashtar as the ultimate authority is the only way to save our freedom and avoid nuclear war
Metatron on March 18
 (2011, “Metatron on Supermoon Cosmic Wave Energies Pouring into Equatorâ€, Human microphone: Madelaine, Galactic Free Press, http://soundofheart....pouring-equator)
Saturn lends its light magnifying the effects greatly. What role does Saturn play? At Saturn we have the Intergalactic Confederation of Worlds Court in this Solar System. This is called the Solar Tribunal. Lord Ashtar has stated many times there is a sequential flow of events that must take place before change over to Zero Point. The first is the arrests of the Intergalactic War Criminals. As the Citizens of Earth risk their lives to demand FREEDOM, it indicts the actions of the disreputable Monarchs and Puppet Governments of Earth. These relationships have been nurtured by the controlling families who have tried to control and reduce the population of Earth. These same Intergalactic War Criminals are now being stopped. It had to be a consensus among the Women, Children and Men of Each Country, the honorable White Knights moving into position to lead new government and the rest of the worldwide Community. It was only through more attacks and the bravery of the Ones in the Streets could we have a worldwide consensus. This is due to the Ones still hoping to stay in power working against the White Knights and the Greatest Good of All. The veil has thinned and their feeble grabs at power are becoming obvious even to the most sleepy. Lord Ashtar has also said, No Dates, No Nukes, No Flukes. What does it mean? The date at which the Galactic Federation decloaks all its Ships at once around the world is determined by the Citizens of Earth, not by the Galactics. The Citizens of Earth have been told many times, as have their Government Leaders that an end of the potential of Nuclear Destruction on Earth was a requirement. The Government Leaders who want to control Earth, not all of them, the dark Ones, kept their power by not following this requirement. For them, complying means they are arrested and possibly face second death. They would do anything to avoid getting rid of Nukes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8