cintrepid

What Camp to go to?

Hi,

I'm a freshman and its pretty much my first year in debate. I have debated this year in various tournaments, some in varsity and others in novice. Out of 2 novice tournaments in one i broke to finals but lost and the other I got 3rd novice speaker. I want to go to a camp this year but im not sure which camp to go to. Ive been told to go to Wake or Mndi but I want to hear about your suggestions. The camp has to offer a 2 week course or less.

Thanks

Samford is good it was my first camp, and the labs and lecture taught me a lot about debate. I'd personally recommend it if you're a novice going into your JV/Varsity year.

• Upvote 1

Wake is a really good camp.  A couple of guys from my school went there and then went to UTNIF and improved dramatically. I dont know how strict your 2 weeks or less category is, but if you could do 3 UTNIF skills is really good coming off your novice year.

• Upvote 2

I really like the samford idea, i was born across the street from it lol. Im going to Wake for sure but my coach says to go to another one too. I dont think samford has their website up yet for this year. My coach said id enjoy MNDI a lot but idk. my partner is going to uga this summer but i cant do wake then uga because its one right after the other.

Thanks for the responses

I'm a freshman novice debater and am going to the Sophomore division of the Michigan Classic. MNDI has a two week lab that's supposed to be good for Sophomores and such. I've heard it's better to go to a longer camp before you start varsity. 

GONZAGA GONZAGA GONZAGA

the lab leaders are great and you'll get a ton of individual attention. I'm a sophomore and went to Gonzaga and Wake last summer and got at least 11x better at camp (I wish I was kidding- I was REALLY bad before). 

• Upvote 2

I am personally going to CNDI this summer, I think it is a good camp but I mostly picked it because most other camps would force me to miss my first two weeks of school. Probably the best debate camp is NSD, it is very rigorous and will definitely prepare you if your goal is the national circuit. 

• Upvote 1