Its the time again.  This time LD debaters all across the country will prep for:

Placing political conditions on humanitarian aid to foreign countries is unjust

This is the official forum for any ideas questions evidence and more!

the conditions cp..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

(btw just so I don't get downvoted more..  I though it was ironic because of the topic..  that post is pure gold.  I'm not like.  Laughing at ethank..)

Edited by KimJongUn
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

What is that

the conditions counterplan is a theoretically questionable/illegitmate counterplan in policy debate used primarily on topics with more than one country. The plan is done in a quid pro quo (this for that) where the target country must do something in order to receive the benefits of the plan.

• Upvote 1

The lit base for this topic is atrocious.  I've been cutting from..

UN handbooks..

and..

US congress briefings.

If anyone finds any good articles, I'll trade for them.

The lit base for this topic is atrocious.  I've been cutting from..

UN handbooks..

and..

US congress briefings.

If anyone finds any good articles, I'll trade for them.

You could look here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9jtjh8mt2w2o3/Human_Rights

Also, some quick googling has shown some statements by the Obama Admin, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

As an aside, I was looking through the LD disclosure for giggles (I do policy) and I have to ask if this is really how theory debates sound in LD? (impacting out education)

1~ it helps us succeed in life and makes society better as a whole by increasing society’s ability to function. The impacts garnered from education are lasting, and impact our real lives, as well as the lives of those around us.
Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

You could look here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9jtjh8mt2w2o3/Human_Rights

Also, some quick googling has shown some statements by the Obama Admin, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

As an aside, I was looking through the LD disclosure for giggles (I do policy) and I have to ask if this is really how theory debates sound in LD? (impacting out education)

Yeah it's pathetic, the whole LD community is ashamed of our theory debates.

• Upvote 4

"Education is a voter because it's the reason schools fund debate."

Literally the most common warrant in LD for education being a voter. Because if you don't run theory, your school is totally gonna cut funding.

• Upvote 2

"Education is a voter because it's the reason schools fund debate."

Literally the most common warrant in LD for education being a voter. Because if you don't run theory, your school is totally gonna cut funding.

Well...I guess my district is screwed then. It's rare to see actual theory in policy here, let alone what I've seen/heard of LD.

Well...I guess my district is screwed then. It's rare to see actual theory in policy here, let alone what I've seen/heard of LD.

Shitty districts everything is definition debates.  Debaters get awarded for playing with the resolution, even if it has no voter of education/fairness.  

Shitty districts everything is definition debates.  Debaters get awarded for playing with the resolution, even if it has no voter of education/fairness.  

Looking though cases in my area people do define almost every relevant word...

Thank Ashtar I do policy so I don't have to deal with people obsessively focusing...on minor...definitions...****. 

Substantially should be defined by context

Devinsky, 2 

Substantially must be measured against a preexisting baseline

Markey, 9 –

Substantially means in the main, including the essential part

Words and Phrases, 2

Substantially means essential and material

Words and Phrases, 2

Substantial has to be materially

Words and Phrases, 2

Substantially means to a large degree

Words and Phrases, 2

Substantial means great in amount

Words and Phrases, 2

Substantially means real, not imaginary

Wollman ’93

Substantially means real at present time

Words and Phrases 64

Substantially is without material qualification

Black’s Law Dictionary 1991

• Upvote 1

Are there any good more left leaning or kritikal strategies for the negative that analyze the resolution? I can't seem to find anything other than "sanctions good" which is no fun at all.

I assume the vast majority of affirmatives will defend humanitarian aid, of which the kritiks are endless.

Also, someone somewhere needs to defend the following:

Catch 22 CP

Text: Humanitarian aid should only be offered on the condition that the recipient refuse to accept the aid.

It's neg ground because it places a condition on humanitarian aid.

The CP functionally bans aid -- accepting aid would violate the condition under which the aid is offered. Insert reasons HA is bad, kritikal or otherwise.

Edited by LDr

Why doesn't the aff just ban humanitarian aid? 

Seems to meet the topic. 

• Upvote 1

Why doesn't the aff just ban humanitarian aid? 

Seems to meet the topic. 

It's a bit extra-T though, the topic is only about placing political conditions on that aid

• Upvote 1

I assume the vast majority of affirmatives will defend humanitarian aid, of which the kritiks are endless.

We have a predominantly lay circuit so I want a kritik of the resolution. Its a lot easier for the judge to understand philisophical reasons why the rez is bad

• Upvote 1

It's a bit extra-T though, the topic is only about placing political conditions on that aid

"We should not place conditions on aid, because we should not give aid at all." 

/edit/ I suppose the term "political" complicates that. What counts as a "political" condition and what are the other types of condition?

• Upvote 2

Are there any good more left leaning or kritikal strategies for the negative that analyze the resolution? I can't seem to find anything other than "sanctions good" which is no fun at all.

Realism K/ Nietzche

I am going to be debating LD the first time at our District Tournament in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any tips about LD? Any Cases they would be willing to share?

The only experience I have is in policy...and only a year in that.

Thanks.

I am going to be debating LD the first time at our District Tournament in a few weeks.

Does anyone have any tips about LD? Any Cases they would be willing to share?

The only experience I have is in policy...and only a year in that.

Thanks.

I would be willing to help you out on any questions you might have, (I did both LD and Policy) just pm them to me. I'm willing to share my previous cases for the March/April topic with you (I'm finished debating it), but I ran a critical affirmative (Fem AC), and older cases just for case structure knowledge for you.

• Upvote 2