Solax10

Guess I am going to Iran Sanctions now...

The Iran sanctions is a lot better PTX than Farmbill. Better and faster impacts. 

In districts like mine with judges who don't like big impacts, farm bill/ENDA were amazing. 

Also "uq overwhelms the link" combined with an old thumper (healthcare) might be an amazing 2AC answer to politics. Even with obama's PC so low and fighting for healthcare, the house passed the farm bill. 

• Upvote 1

The Iran sanctions is a lot better PTX than Farmbill. Better and faster impacts. 

True but judges understand why high food prices are bad easier than nuclear war!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Idk about Sanctions though. Obama's going to veto and they don't have enough votes to override a veto.

I think we're stuck in the same trap as most of Obama's second term of having no good politics scenario.

In the realm of plausibility, Iran Sanctions scenarios (when well told) have a lot going for them.  The nuclear war impact is surprisingly real world, not just for a nuclear war impact, but for a big impact in general.  If talks fall apart Israel is almost certainly going to strike Iran's nuclear facilities - what happens after that is more questionable, but its probably not going to be pretty.

As far as the US politics scenario - given Iran's public statements and the current political situation, I'm not sure that beating the veto is even relevant.  Iran has been rather specific about what would cause them to withdraw from talks, and while they may be lying, do you really want to risk calling that bluff?

The uniqueness for this disad is really good, it had 59 votes and is 8 votes away from overriding a veto. The Republican house can already override the veto, it's just a question of whether or not the plan pisses off enough senators.

The uniqueness for this disad is really good, it had 59 votes and is 8 votes away from overriding a veto. The Republican house can already override the veto, it's just a question of whether or not the plan pisses off enough senators.

The key number of votes is actually *60*, which is why the uniqueness is so awesome as long as it sits at 59.  Its not about beating the veto, and never was.

(If you're reading this and know why the key number is 60, don't say.  Its a good easy research project for policy debaters).

• Upvote 2

The key number of votes is actually *67*, which is why the uniqueness is so awesome as long as it sits at 59.  Its not about beating the veto, and never was.

(If you're reading this and know why the key number is 67, don't say.  Its a good easy research project for policy debaters).

fixed

60 was right. Remember, "it's not about beating the veto."

Trying to think of a way to answer this without saying what 60 votes does.. gimme a little bit, it's because I do agree with this:

If you're reading this and know why the key number is 60, don't say.  Its a good easy research project for policy debaters.

• Upvote 1