JaredCroitoru

Is this an Ok generic Neg Strat

Not great.

1. What's the net benefit to the counterplan? I don't see one.

2. Your Kritiks probably contradict each other in substantive ways.

3. In my opinion it's better to read a few well developed arguments than several poorly developed ones. Consider reading only one kritik and expanding it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Not great.

1. What's the net benefit to the counterplan? I don't see one.

2. Your Kritiks probably contradict each other in substantive ways.

3. In my opinion it's better to read a few well developed arguments than several poorly developed ones. Consider reading only one kritik and expanding it.

I agree with this.  4 conditional advocacies is also probably not good.  A typical generic strat in college against a policy or policy-ish aff is T, CP (like XO or something like that), Politics or topic DA, and a topic-related k.  This provides strategic flexibility and 1 cp and 1 k is a pretty reasonable interpretation for conditionality.  

It's a great neg strat. I'll sit with the judge and we'll have a heart-to-heart about this thing called conditionality and why it's bad.

• Upvote 4

the death cult arg probably says that death impacts marginalize death and that's bad, so if your death K says death good, then you can't go for both. there is some death cult stuff (like impact framing) that could be useful on the death K, but i wouldn't read both.

Its dangerous to read this 1NC because of the substantial overlap. "Death Cult" and "Positive Peace" are going to both argue that focus on flash-bang conflict is bad, for similar though not identical reasons. The aff gets a time trade off responding to both because they can read "focus on large-scale war good" as responsible to both; one answer responds to both kritiks. You never want to read positions that can be grouped. 

I'm not sure what flavor of literature you're reading for the "Death K" so its substance depends on whether it's a good idea. 

A better generic 1NC might be: 

T-Condo/Uncondo

Postive Peace K (possibly with separate death cult internal links)

CP-Brazil

US-specific disad

case solvency / impact turns. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with a lot of people here but I would run death cult as a procedural. That way you have one less conditional advocacy and it's the aff burden of prove and they can't perm it.

What I recommend with this strategy is reading Positive Peace by itself and in the block, read death reps bad (if that's the k you're talking about) and have different internal links to value to death 

If you do that, your 1nc will be shorter and you'll also be able to change your strat based on 2ac decisions

I agree with a lot of people here but I would run death cult as a procedural. That way you have one less conditional advocacy and it's the aff burden of prove and they can't perm it.

What I recommend with this strategy is reading Positive Peace by itself and in the block, read death reps bad (if that's the k you're talking about) and have different internal links to value to death 

This is obviously the only truth

• Upvote 1

Pretty decent conflict.  How are you going to get to positive peace without raising awareness with Death reps exactly?  The history of movements in America certainly suggest the need to have crisis rhetoric to get to historical change.  Civil rights, environmental movement, anti-nuclear movement, etc...

Edited by nathan_debate

Pretty decent conflict.  How are you going to get to positive peace without raising awareness with Death reps exactly?  The history of movements in America certainly suggest the need to have crisis rhetoric to get to historical change.  Civil rights, environmental movement, anti-nuclear movement, etc...

The way I've understood positive peace is that using crisis driven politics and making nuclear war and extinction threats distract away from the structural violence that exists in our everyday society.

So the way I would do that here is read Cuomo in the 1nc and death reps would basically be a new link. So for example, an embargo with a heg advantage.

1nc: Their claim that loss of heg -> war distracts away from the current war going on in the status quo through structural violence.

2nc: They have willed the collective group to die through hegemony which in turn makes all of the deaths the 1ac prevents meaningless which means no value to death

• Upvote 1