cdolt

Affs you ran

The Von Steuben  Aff - uggh that was horrible , no offense dude - but we made a Kritikal CP on the spot , we lost on the spot  on bad judges ..... 

Were you the one team that broke 

Bro. Trafficking was one of the best questionably topical affs on this topic.

Don't hate

Btdubs, what was the cp?

Their aff was literally the borders aff - with so many double turn's 

i agree with you i love the Trafficking aff's except this one spefic- 

It was nieztche PIK/CP 

CP TEXT : Close the borders at all cost - put up a iron wall - 

that's exactly what i  put

Don't hate

Btdubs, what was the cp?

The trafficking Affs I saw this year had lots of problems, Von Steubben's included.  Their solvency advocates were uniformly awful, and violated their harms discourse in terrible terrible ways.  Its great to have kritikal harms scenarios, but you need solvency mechanisms that don't cause the same or worse problems.  (Von Steubben's solvency advocate Garza was literally 'police the border more' ... that didn't solve their discourse at all).

The right CP was of course 'Open the border and stop policing it'.  That captured all their harms and fulfilled their K discourse.

The trafficking Affs I saw this year had lots of problems, Von Steubben's included.  Their solvency advocates were uniformly awful, and violated their harms discourse in terrible terrible ways.  Its great to have kritikal harms scenarios, but you need solvency mechanisms that don't cause the same or worse problems.  (Von Steubben's solvency advocate Garza was literally 'police the border more' ... that didn't solve their discourse at all).

The right CP was of course 'Open the border and stop policing it'.  That captured all their harms and fulfilled their K discourse.

I beat von in finals of the shurz tournament on Schmitt, but abolish borders CP was in the 1NC.

The Von Steuben Aff - uggh that was horrible , no offense dude - but we made a Kritikal CP on the spot , we lost on the spot on bad judges .....

Were you the one team that broke

I was the one writing o/v and explaining FW to them because for one of them it was their first time running it. Trust me, if I would have run it... I would've knocked your socks off Lil no foreal I know that off like the back of my back of my hand. Edited by adchavez4

I beat von in finals of the shurz tournament on Schmitt, but abolish borders CP was in the 1NC.

They ran Cuban hospitality that round.

They ran Cuban hospitality that round.

The trafficking Affs I saw this year had lots of problems, Von Steubben's included. Their solvency advocates were uniformly awful, and violated their harms discourse in terrible terrible ways. Its great to have kritikal harms scenarios, but you need solvency mechanisms that don't cause the same or worse problems. (Von Steubben's solvency advocate Garza was literally 'police the border more' ... that didn't solve their discourse at all).

The right CP was of course 'Open the border and stop policing it'. That captured all their harms and fulfilled their K discourse.

Their were two different types of solvency. The one for the policy advantages and the one for the kritikal adv. However, most of the teams were running only disposability adv and not the gender adv. The correct solvency was not used apparently because of it having gendered language in it. We could have changed it now that I realized it after T5 haha. I sadly didn't go to city's bc I wasn't selected.

Overall I think it was easy to beat; however, JV teams don't know how to answer it and often times drop case and go for a DA or something (don't know about the RCC teams, though.)

Edited by adchavez4

Overall I think it was easy to beat; however, JV teams don't know how to answer it and often times drop case and go for a DA or something (don't know about the RCC teams, though.)

Oh yes, there was a huge advantage to not running a core case.  Many teams did not take notes on what other teams were running nor pay close attention to previews, and did not cut evidence to answer non-core cases.  No matter how bad a case was (and your Trafficking case at least had a good harms story - there were some truly egregious cases), running something outside the core files gave a substantial competitive advantage.

Oh yes, there was a huge advantage to not running a core case.  Many teams did not take notes on what other teams were running nor pay close attention to previews, and did not cut evidence to answer non-core cases.  No matter how bad a case was (and your Trafficking case at least had a good harms story - there were some truly egregious cases), running something outside the core files gave a substantial competitive advantage.

It was a very difficult Aff to beat through generic strategies, which is what most LCC CDL teams run.

The huge advantage to not running a core case also came from how weak the Core Affs generally were this year. I expect next year to be better on that account; after a discussion with Chris, Les, and other CDL coaches Wednesday, it looks like the Core Affs will probably be OTEC, Sustainable Aquaculture, Coral Reefs, and a Marine Education Aff that Chris is excited about putting together.

It was a very difficult Aff to beat through generic strategies, which is what most LCC CDL teams run.

The huge advantage to not running a core case also came from how weak the Core Affs generally were this year. I expect next year to be better on that account; after a discussion with Chris, Les, and other CDL coaches Wednesday, it looks like the Core Affs will probably be OTEC, Sustainable Aquaculture, Coral Reefs, and a Marine Education Aff that Chris is excited about putting together.

Could you explain what exactly is "Marine Education"? Seems a bit vague to me

Could you explain what exactly is "Marine Education"? Seems a bit vague to me

It seems to be about funding education about the oceans in US schools, including funding for student ocean exploration trips. A little critical, low impact, and a bit squirrelly, but could change things up. Or it may get run as much as Critical Immigration was this year :)

• Upvote 1

It seems to be about funding education about the oceans in US schools, including funding for student ocean exploration trips. A little critical, low impact, and a bit squirrelly, but could change things up. Or it may get run as much as Critical Immigration was this year :)

ohhh okay thanks. So what would the plan text be? Plan: USG should substantially increase its development of the earths oceans by first educating people about it??? And yeah critical immigration was not run at allllll!

ohhh okay thanks. So what would the plan text be? Plan: USG should substantially increase its development of the earths oceans by first educating people about it??? And yeah critical immigration was not run at allllll!

Not sure what the plan is, but Chris just posted a set of topic resources including what we discussed on the conference call:

http://chicagodebateleague.org/research-and-previewing/

Chris showed an old OTEC Aff that looked very solid, with warming, fisheries, and desalination impacts. I don't think he posted it, though.

The NAUDL Core file Affs will be Aquaculture, Coral Reefs, Precautionary Principle, and Ocean Clean Up.

Critical Immigration wasn't run, IMO, because not enough people had the personal experience with the subject to adequately run the "My Story" contention. Plus, it was poorly done. Almost as bad as the NAFTA aff last year. ALMOST. I don't think there was enough there to run as just an aff without some sort of personal advocacy to bring it all together, making it pretty unwieldy. It would have made a nice surprise strat against a particularly bad team, though. I didn't even bother keeping most of the neg files for it after T2.

Don't hate

Btdubs, what was the cp?

"Questionably topical" 

I ran that aff for part of the beginning with the year and I'll be the first to say it. 

Not a single portion of that aff was even close at all to topical 

none of it. 

Did you ever see a legit card that says "human trafficking prevention is EE"? Nope, didn't think so. Hope you could spin your hormats cards because T (and the partial lack of inherency) killed dat aff. 

Edit: As for affs I ran this year, (In order of appearance) 

Human Trafficking, Water Data Sharing, Student Exchanges, Cuban Queerness Counterfactuals (at the one non shit tournament in Oregon), Thorium Powered Small Salt SMR's.

Edited by RainSilves

Could you explain the Cuban Queerness Counterfactuals ? 

http://scfi.wikispaces.com/2013+Evidence+Files

Ctrl-F "Queering Cuba aff" and the 1AC stuff will be next to it. 

I changed up the 1AC on mine a whole bunch, removed the play and read a fw contention. 

But the jist of it is that we should imagine that the embargo on cuba never happend, and that the cuban revolution was lead by queers, not hostile to them. Naedu (or however it's spelled) 9 is the "solvency" and one hell of an amazing card about why conterfactuals are good. 

I ran Venezuelan Democracy and a Structural Violence K aff. 

(sorry I don't know what happened there)

I actually only ran two. 1. Cuban Embargo 2. Cuba Food(with an added adv) But I hit: 1. Cuba Rum 2. Mexico Border 3. Science Co-op 4. Zapitistas 5. Some aff about giving teachers to Mexico so that the kids would eventually get smarter and then we would could maybe do stuff 6. A Mexico semi performance aff about the border 7. Cuban Embargo 8. Cuba Oil

(sorry I don't know what happened there)

I actually only ran two. 1. Cuban Embargo 2. Cuba Food(with an added adv) But I hit: 1. Cuba Rum 2. Mexico Border 3. Science Co-op 4. Zapitistas 5. Some aff about giving teachers to Mexico so that the kids would eventually get smarter and then we would could maybe do stuff 6. A Mexico semi performance aff about the border 7. Cuban Embargo 8. Cuba Oil

FYI there is an edit button.

Also, was the Mexico teachers aff policy or critical?