Schopenhauer

[Online Tournament] round 2 Schopenhauer V Milkdelish

1AC. open for crossx 

1. Did Mexico agree to the treaty of Guadelupe Hildago? If so, why?

2. Does your plan involve USfg action?

3. How do we dump violence on the other side of the border?

4. Why do we perpetuate border violence?

5. Why is debate a key academic space?

6. What is Mestiza Consciousness

7. How do you deconstruct mental borders?

8. Why are our justifications for racism built on a rejection of all that is foreign?

1. Did Mexico agree to the treaty of Guadelupe Hildago? If so, why?

Mexico had too because they were loosing a war started by polk because he wanted to expand american territory.

2. Does your plan involve USfg action?

ew, no.

3. How do we dump violence on the other side of the border?

mexico matters 4- "Mexico today, suffers from U.S. aid that supported a political regime, that in all probability, would have fallen were it not for Uncle Sammy's tolerance of tyranny in exchange for border stability"

also the form of border security that exists today is pretty messed up. bigo talks about the westernization of surveillance and the anand ev has good analysis as to why the way in which we try to come to understand others creates violence and inevitably fails. i can go into more detail if you want.

4. Why do we perpetuate border violence?

The underlying fear of those opposing this process is not economic. It is the fear that the massive population movement will ultimately reverse the military outcome of the 1830s and 1840s, returning the region to Mexico culturally. that's the friedemen ev.

5. Why is debate a key academic space?

because debate is the only way that i can do what i did. there's not really a separate but equal  space for presenting my 1AC.

6. What is Mestiza Consciousness

mestizo are people in mexico who, after spain had invaded, were born of mixed race. those people today are who anzaldua describes as mestizo. a mastiza consciousness involves similar breaking down of paradigms that are required in every day life for many mestiza women. from the ev' "She learns to be an Indian in Mexican culture, to be Mexican from an Anglo point of view. she operates in a pluralistic mode."

7. How do you deconstruct mental borders?

i'm not 100% sure i understand exactly what your asking, but i would defend that a deconstruction of the border as a sight of anxiety is a deconstruction of mental borders because the border that exists between the US and mexico isn't just a geographical line but a concept reinforced by a "doctrine of manifest destiny" as the Chacon and davis evidence puts it.

8. Why are our justifications for racism built on a rejection of all that is foreign?

i don't understand the question. are you asking why racism exists or what the justification for racism is? i guess to give you the best answer i can it's because we view that which is foreign as an other to be observed and studied under a western gaze. 

Edit: I believe I must be confused, and am not judging this round.  I think.  *wanders off to ask teh squidly one*

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 1

1.     Status of each of the planks? 2.     On plank one…… so the US should renounce our peace treaty with mexico? The one we signed to end the war…..

3.     we just give all the land back like it never happened? What solvency ev do you read that says that this results in anything positive.  Also if the treaty displaced thousands of people before, why would displacing more people by giving the land to mexico help?

4.     What evidence that you read speaks to how and why opening the border would cause change in the way we view the other outside this one policy?  Your Zylinska evidence seems to say that we need a different ethic in order to create change, so what about some US policy creates a new ethic?

5.     Quote, “the aff will always win that the principles of their advocacy are good in the abstract†are the principles of the 1AC good/true then? You seem to think so.

6.     Your Ignatieff evidence seems to say that there needs to be a stasis for discussion. Do you take a stance on whether that stasis would solve for your offense? If so what is that stance?

7.     What is an ethical stance? 

8.     Do you argue with your Lutz 2k card that we should skip the clarification stage of political philosophizing? If not, then what exactly is this argument?

9.     Lutz says, “The theorist cannot appeal to such values if she or he is to attract an audience of politicians.†In the context of values such as the loss of identity. If politicians don’t care about identity then how does the normative action of your CP solve? Also should we just not talk about it because politicians don’t care?

10.  Lewis is talking about right winged totalitarianism. How is that the aff? also you seem to preference “pragmatic reform.†So something like your CP?

11.  Why does Star Muir get to tell us what debate is? Why should we have to defend something as good that might not be?

12.  How did I exclude you? Does your framework exclude anything?

13.  If clash exists have you still been excluded?

14.  Your HEYDT card  “The justification for this brutality is hinged on the ‘biological inferiority’†when did I assert biological inferiority of non humans? Can discussion of identity happen in a non anthropocentric way?

15.  What’s the difference between humans and other animals?

16.  So your link is coming from the anand evidence and it’s use of the word dehumanization. This is in the context of the way in which methods of western surveillance define people. those who observed these people literally compared them to animals. What about this description of western surveillance re-entrenches the human-animal dichotomy?

17.  What is non human? Is it non living things too?

18.  Your deckha ev- Instead of fighting dehumanization with humanization, a better strategy may be to minimize the human/nonhuman boundary altogether. What does minimizing the human/nonhuman boundary entail?

19.  Why does harm no nonhumans outweigh harm to people?

20.  Slater card- so why does the state matter in the 1AC discussion? What movement could I create by imagining that the government makes the border go away and how is that not more utopian that my advocacy?

21.  Prozorov criticizes the logic of world unity. What part of my advocacy involves global unity in any form?

22.  On your Agnew card- uh what? Explain to me how the US mexico border creates equality

23.  Parker and Addler-Nissen 12 is talking about physical borders right?

24.  borders are in some way representative of a need for division in human ethical life.- that’s from your Williams evidence. Why doesn’t your use of human centered discourse bite the K?

25.  also again to be clear Williams is talking about a critique of borders as geographical separations right?