BrookeB

Admitted to Umich Classic. Anyone going?/What's it like?

Today I received the news that I was admitted to the Sophomore division of the University of Michigan Classic. I just wanted to meet/correspond with kids that I'll see at camp this summer and also maybe get inside views from people who have gone to the Classic before. Recommendations for what to bring to camp/tips would be nice too. 

Edited by BrookeB

I didn't go to Umich last summer (Went to DDI), but some things that you might want to bring that aren't obvious...

An umbrella. Even if it rains, you'll still have to go outside to get to lab/eat

A power strip because 20 debaters in a single room leads to fights over power outlets

A water bottle

Those are just things off the top of my head that I wish I'd brought to camp last summer. Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

Im planning on classic this year.

Last year i attended mndi-extension wk and it was a blast 10/10. Alice lloyd (dorm) is pretty sweet and has a/c which is a plus.

Bring an umbrella... Last year it rained for 4 days straight and the diag got pretty much flooded

• Upvote 1

Loose change for laundry and some extra money if you end up going out of the normal area. Both of these come a long way 

BTW is anyone going to the UMich 7 Week Juniors Program?

• Upvote 3

Im planning on classic this year.

Last year i attended mndi-extension wk and it was a blast 10/10. Alice lloyd (dorm) is pretty sweet and has a/c which is a plus.

Bring an umbrella... Last year it rained for 4 days straight and the diag got pretty much flooded

some crazy person traded his shirt for an umbrella

• Upvote 3

I was at Michigan last summer, holy **** bring an umbrella. If you forget or it breaks there's a CVS around the corner that should be selling them.

Use the big mess hall, it's got a lot more variety and usually better food than the quad. It's a longer walk, but worth it. Plus, even if LL's say quad, they don't eat with you so and just meet you there (library or wherever), at least last summer that's how it worked, so they can't really do anything/know.

Budget some extra time to get to your first lecture on the first day, it's a fairly long walk and you can get lost if you don't have a map easily accessible. (Yeah, that happened to me/roommate)

If there ends up being a pick up game, make sure you take off glasses if you wear them. This kid tried to head a ball (soccer) and ended up with a fresh cut from his glasses.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1

I forgot the specifics, but another kid was playing a pick up game and then he somehow got a hut cut. And was bleeding everywhere... With a phobia of blood...

Who all is going to classic or classic plus?

Personally, im going to plus

Im going to plus too. What school/year are you

Im going to plus too. What school/year are you

I cant say school, but i will be a rising senior