DebaterGirl15

How do you clip cards?

I think it's when you take an article and turn it into evidence but I never did that before but my captain wants me to do it. Not only that, but I want to learn how to make that...is that even legal in debate?

How do you clip articles into evidence is what I'm trying to ask.

Well first you want to make an outline for an argument you want to make. For example a DA, it consists of Uniqueness, Link, Internal Link and Impact. For each you want to look through articles and publishings on the web that make these claims in the disad. When you find something you want to copy and paste it into a word doc, Underline all of the warrants for the argument you are trying to make, cite the source (author or journal, date published, url or page number) and write a tag of the evidence based off what the card says and the argument you want to make. Hope this helps.

That's 'cutting' cards.  'Clipping' cards would be when you don't read a highlighted section of a card and claim you did by not marking it.  Depending on the circuit, it's either a disqualification or a theory violation (if it is proven, which is virtually impossible ,lol)

• Upvote 6

That's 'cutting' cards.  'Clipping' cards would be when you don't read a highlighted section of a card and claim you did by not marking it.  Depending on the circuit, it's either a disqualification or a theory violation (if it is proven, which is virtually impossible ,lol)

I was always curious, if I didn't read some highlighting. Just skip around the card in general, but I know what I did not read and if questioned I would answer would that be clipping cards? 

yes that is clipping cards because if they don't waste crossx time figuring out what you read you could extend warrants in the ex you didn't read

There's nothing special about the highlighting on the card.

To me, clipping cards is when you don't read all the highlighted text and *do not tell your opponent of your own volition what was read*.  If they have to ask, you're guilty.  Edit: Or you claim to have read text you did not read - which is the presumed status if you didn't read text and don't immediately let your opponent's know that.

Recutting a card on the fly is, imho, perfectly acceptable.  But you should *immediately* inform your opponent exactly what you read after your speech.  You may also wish to say before reading the card 'this is an on-the-fly recutting, we'll show you what we read after'.

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

There's nothing special about the highlighting on the card.

To me, clipping cards is when you don't read all the highlighted text and *do not tell your opponent of your own volition what was read*.  If they have to ask, you're guilty.  Edit: Or you claim to have read text you did not read - which is the presumed status if you didn't read text and don't immediately let your opponent's know that.

Recutting a card on the fly is, imho, perfectly acceptable.  But you should *immediately* inform your opponent exactly what you read after your speech.  You may also wish to say before reading the card 'this is an on-the-fly recutting, we'll show you what we read after'.

Yeah, I agree with this completely and that's my flexible definition of card clipping.

• Upvote 2

I was always curious, if I didn't read some highlighting. Just skip around the card in general, but I know what I did not read and if questioned I would answer would that be clipping cards? 

Yes.  Don't do that, ever.

To clarify what the consequences are for clipping cards:  You lose the round.  Immediately.

#crossreading