braininthavat

LDer doing policy at districts

I'm a novice LD debater this year and have a significantly better chance of doing well at districts in policy rather than LD (trust me, I don't really need to worry about the experience gap in my state). I know a lot about policy through what applies from LD and I also competed in policy at an earlier tournament.

So, I was just curious as to what arguments have been the most prominent with the current HS resolution that I should prepare to see.

Also, are there any rounds with good sound quality online that I could use for flowing practice?

These are likely the most popular on this topic 

Affs: 

-Cuban Embargo 

- Mexico Energy 

- Venezuela Oil 

- Cuba Travel Ban 

- Cuba Oil 

- Mexico Border Infrastructure 

K Affs 

-Eurocenterism bad 

-Neolib Bad 

-Wilderson Anti-Blackness 

DA's: 

- China DA

- Russia DA 

- Politics (Immigration, Iran Sanctions, ENDA, Farm Bill... Unemployment should be big for next tourny) 

- Brazil DA 

- Case specific DA's like Brain Drain vs Guest Workers 

CP's 

- Conditions (usually HR stuff like do plan if cuba releases alan gross) 

- Delay (with politics -> Abusive) 

- Advantage CP's 

- Extra T 

- FX T 

- EE T 

- Private Sector not T 

K's 

Same as K affs 

Shunning 

Cap 

Baudrillard 

DnG 

Rep's K's (Especially if you run an aff like Human Trafficking) 

Fem IR

• Upvote 2

These are likely the most popular on this topic 

Affs: 

-Cuban Embargo 

- Mexico Energy 

- Venezuela Oil 

- Cuba Travel Ban 

- Cuba Oil 

- Mexico Border Infrastructure 

K Affs 

-Eurocenterism bad 

-Neolib Bad 

-Wilderson Anti-Blackness 

DA's: 

- China DA

- Russia DA 

- Politics (Immigration, Iran Sanctions, ENDA, Farm Bill... Unemployment should be big for next tourny) 

- Brazil DA 

- Case specific DA's like Brain Drain vs Guest Workers 

CP's 

- Conditions (usually HR stuff like do plan if cuba releases alan gross) 

- Delay (with politics -> Abusive) 

- Advantage CP's 

- Extra T 

- FX T 

- EE T 

- Private Sector not T 

K's 

Same as K affs 

Shunning 

Cap 

Baudrillard 

DnG 

Rep's K's (Especially if you run an aff like Human Trafficking) 

Fem IR

Awesome, thanks.

Don't worry about DnG, Wilderson or Baudrillard. The only specific Ks I'd say you should worry about understanding and prepping out against are Cap and Shunning, and then just get a pretty basic anti-K 2AC/Toolbox with like answers to epistemology/discourse/reps first and cards like Owen and Schell as well as a pretty basic framework file 1NC/extensions against K affs. If you are new to policy debate, your time is better spent getting the fundamentals down, particularly on things that matter, like 2AC/1AR time allocation, word economy, speed, and having a firm foundation of your own aff and how it relates to generic args like Politics or an Agent CP.

• Upvote 1

Hey can you tell us a little bit more about your destrict (judge pool, flow/lay, etc.)

for a flow round-

On YouTube you can easily find the spurlock (<3) round (toc ck mclatchy vs. Gbn)

Lay-

Your coach probqbly has the nqt video, sk you can easily watch the GBS vs. GBN round.

Also I know you didnt ask, but here are some basic lectures, so you can get more into the hang of policy debate:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8f3fbouihjma7v/dfy16wB427

Finally if you need any evidence, blocks, or anything just pm me wince you are new.

Welcome to the dark side >:)

• Upvote 2

Don't worry about DnG, Wilderson or Baudrillard. The only specific Ks I'd say you should worry about understanding and prepping out against are Cap and Shunning, and then just get a pretty basic anti-K 2AC/Toolbox with like answers to epistemology/discourse/reps first and cards like Owen and Schell as well as a pretty basic framework file 1NC/extensions against K affs. If you are new to policy debate, your time is better spent getting the fundamentals down, particularly on things that matter, like 2AC/1AR time allocation, word economy, speed, and having a firm foundation of your own aff and how it relates to generic args like Politics or an Agent CP.

Thanks for the reply, I think I have the fundamentals down though. I'm fairly good at spreading and not freaking out when debating fast spreaders for a novice. With my background in LD, I'll probably write a k aff. I'm thinking about labeling Cuba as a developing country since I have an abundance of evidence for that via research for the current LD res. If I'm confident in my ability to run Heidegger, would that be acceptable at districts?

Hey can you tell us a little bit more about your destrict (judge pool, flow/lay, etc.)

for a flow round-

On YouTube you can easily find the spurlock (<3) round (toc ck mclatchy vs. Gbn)

Lay-

Your coach probqbly has the nqt video, sk you can easily watch the GBS vs. GBN round.

Also I know you didnt ask, but here are some basic lectures, so you can get more into the hang of policy debate:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h8f3fbouihjma7v/dfy16wB427

Finally if you need any evidence, blocks, or anything just pm me wince you are new.

Welcome to the dark side > :)

As far as my district goes, it really depends (or so I've heard). I'm going to have cases prepared for both experienced progressive judges and mommy judges. Thanks for the link to the lectures, I'll get started watching them immediately.