idahopotatoe

Unique Affs

Honestly, unqiue plans aren't always needed. Unique advantages are also really fun and help for a more diverse debate.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Isn't that just most of the Cards that were used on last years college topic?

5 or 6 are. The Mexico specific stuff is obviously more recent though. The college caselist has a lot of really good cards

If you don't mind me asking how is the plan EE?

The plan text is worded a little differently now. It's really just FDI into Mexico's nuclear power sector. Not much different than Venezuelan oil affs in that regard. 

I think the bigger question is, "WHERE THE HELL IS THE US KEY WARRANT?" Literally, I searched through every piece of evidence that was tagged as "US investment key" or something similar. It never even remotely talks about US investment in nuclear power, let alone something as specific as SMRs...

• Upvote 1

I think the bigger question is, "WHERE THE HELL IS THE US KEY WARRANT?" Literally, I searched through every piece of evidence that was tagged as "US investment key" or something similar. It never even remotely talks about US investment in nuclear power, let alone something as specific as SMRs...

The  Pascual and Zambetakis 2010 card says that only U.S. action on climate change will get India and China to model.

The Biello '12 card talks about 2 U.S. companies developing the necessary tech to eliminate nuclear waste. Miller and Sagan '09 say that solving the waste issue is extremely important to get other countries to want nuclear power

Since SMRs are a pretty new tech development, it's easy to win that they need specific solvency for international actors. It's not like roads that anyone can invest in. 

You win that the plan is key to your internal links and spillover, but none of it is about Mexico. Nothing acts as a solvency advocate for the plan text itself...

You win that the plan is key to your internal links and spillover, but none of it is about Mexico. Nothing acts as a solvency advocate for the plan text itself...

That hasn't been an issue for me so far, and I don't see it being one. No aff pulls its plan text directly from the text of a card anyways

• Downvote 2

That hasn't been an issue for me so far, and I don't see it being one. No aff pulls its plan text directly from the text of a card anyways

Well usually they at least they talk about Spillover in context of the country you are engaging with...

• Upvote 1

I have a poetry based Guantanamo Bay aff (1ac and some other stuff)

I also have 1ACs for:

-algae biofuel (lay, but easily can be made flow)
-legalize weed (lay, can be flow)
-legalize all drugs (lay, can be flow)
-k borders (flow)
-Cuban baseball aff 

I have a poetry based Guantanamo Bay aff (1ac and some other stuff)

I also have 1ACs for:

-algae biofuel (lay, but easily can be made flow)

-legalize weed (lay, can be flow)

-legalize all drugs (lay, can be flow)

-k borders (flow)

-Cuban baseball aff 

How similar is the Poetry one to the Georgetown Camp aff?

How similar is the Poetry one to the Georgetown Camp aff?

idk i've never seen the georgetown camp file. On openevidence there is only one gitmo aff and it's SDI, which is distinct from the one I have

What are the advantages on the baseball aff if you dont mind me asking?

Edited by Solax10

I'd like to hear more about the Algae Biofuel? Like what is the concept of the case?

I've seen the poetry gitmo around, it's an older camp case, it's... interesting. I heard somebody tried to run it... failed miserably because the team they hit also runs Gitmo... haha.

So, my debaters were running TBA up till now. But since TBA will be kaput on ~17th of January, we needed a new Aff. Now, I coach a UDL school, which means just getting kids to show up and compete is an accomplishment, so some of the coaching staff, myself included, does far more research than is probably healthy for us. Anyway, myself and another coach decided we'd each write an Aff, and let the kids pick the one they liked.

He wrote a standard policy big impact TPP aff with unusual advantage scenarios. Its pretty cool, and it didn't require totally rethinking how they debated, so the kids went with that.

Now I have this totally unique Autodefensa Aff with a dual Policy/Kritikal Feminism advantage sitting around. As long as you aren't in the Chicago UDL (cause there's an off-chance one of my teams might decide they want to try it at our 5th tournament in February), I'm willing to trade it away. (I'd love to hear about someone else running it, since its unlikely I'll get to witness my own kids use it).

The 1AC is complete, and there are some answer blocks put together. I've also got a bunch of cards and sources to be sorted through that, if people are interested, I'll finish organizing so there's better organized 2AC stuff, some add-on advantages, and at least the relevant hand-cut answer cards grouped together if they aren't full blocks. The higher-level (eg, patriarchy) impact stuff is mostly open-evidence, but there's a lot of hand-cut stuff for 'local'-level harms and solvency, and for answers to some positions. Expect it to take a week to 'finish', roughly. And I'll be glad to talk about how I imagined it being run.

My school has a relatively young program with a lack of backfiles, and when I debated in high school we didn't have digital copies, so even quality files of relatively common positions could be helpful. (If its not on open evidence for this year, chances are I don't have it, or only have whatever could be found via google xP) Send me a message, I'm sure we can work something out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Are you kidding me? Every aff I've ever written has taken its plan straight from a card. If you have good solvency evidence it really isn't hard at all to find a specific plan to do. Maybe add a few things like certain specs but really how hard is it? Because I've never had a problem having a specific solvency advocate

• Upvote 1