RyeZOAM

Critical/Performance Aff in the works

I'm considering writing a critical Affirmative for the Highschool topic, but i wanted to get some feedback from you all before i started. To give you an idea of what i had in mind, there would be a performance component (it would include the song Homeland and Hip Hop by Immortal Technique), and the aff mechanics would include two parts:

First a critical interrogation of Economic Engagement history with Latin America (with rhetorical emphasis on the topic countries)--this would incorporate one of two primary focuses, either:

A ) Coloniality/Criticisms of the Western Episteme as it applies to our Economic Engagement with the topic countries (authors include Mignolo, Maldonado-Torress, etc)

or

B ) Anti-Blackness/Violence towards the Black body. For clarification, i don't intend to make this a straight-up Wilderson Aff, but could include some Wilderson evidence

I'd like to hear responses from you all that indicate which literature base you would like incorporated into the affirmative

Second, there would be a social activism contention that then would take the above criticism and apply it to contemporary debate norms (norms such as the backlash towards critical/performative arguments, the application of the above criticisms towards things like minority participation, accessibility of debate pedagogy, the rush towards terminal impacts to score wins, etc.). This would include some classic authors for this style of argument such as Mumia Abu Jamal, Apple & Beane, Spanos, and others.

Here's what i plan to have in the file regardless of the lit base that you all would like to be included:

-Comprehensive Framework/Topicality Blocks: this will include your must-have 2AC args, as well as blocks to specific arguments (SSD, State good, Roleplaying, Dissent from norms, etc). 

-Answers to the go-to Kritiks to be read against this aff, specifically: Marx, Cap, Neolib (these three will be similar, the primary difference will be the particular evidence used for them), Nietzsche, Schmitt, Feminism (this will be somewhat generic. if there is widespread interest in particular fem K answers, then those can be included), Boggs/Cede the political, Deleuze (Specifically the K of identity/identifying with collectives), Give Back the Land, Anthro, and the Black-White Paradigm (should the aff be more of an anti-blackness focus).

-Answers to CPs/PICs/PIKs--these will depend on the discourse and the particular advocacy of the aff (that is IF the aff has an advocacy, that's something i'd be willing to negotiate), but there will for sure be answers to: Atchison & Panetta/Open Forum CP, and institutional counterplans that try to solve the aff (i.e. USfg should end the war on drugs to Solve anti-blackness b/c the war on drugs legally and economically exploits Black individuals). there won't be many of these, but these are the types that people have read against me, so that's what i'm prioritizing)

-Impact Framing: i'm going to place this under the Framework header in the file, but i wanted to make sure everyone knew i was including these. nothing fancy, simply criticisms of extinction/disaster scenarios (authors include Cuomo, Kato, and Goodnight)

-Case: this will be predominately two things: A ) answers to impact turns (West Best, Heg good, red spread, realism good/true, etc) and B ) answers to indictments of the theories that the aff is based on (again, this depends on the direction that you all would like the aff to go). 

I do not currently have a deadline, but the sooner i get feedback, the sooner i will be able to get to work on the 1AC.

Additionally, this affirmative, while critical, does not necessarily have to be a "performance" aff. That is also up for negotiation.

As of right now, this is very much a work in progress that will rely on your feedback for completion. This means that it could take longer than the average file, but this also means that i can better write an aff FOR YOU, the people who will be buying it. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and for giving me feedback. Feel free to PM me or post in this thread with any questions you have or suggestions that you think of!

• Upvote 1

Capitol Debate and McDonough run a Mexico remittances for the drug war aff that you should take a look at.  I've hit it twice and it's got some similar ideas (different mechanisms).

I'd be totally willing to check this aff out if all of the blocked out stuff was highlighted. 

Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd say A for the first question. I'd like the idea of Anti-Blackness but ONLY if it included at least some form of Critical Latino/Latina studies with it. 

Oh, and if you use Abu-Jamal cards, I'd request that you have answers to the "Didn't he kill a cop?" indict that I used at nat-quals. 

On the issue of T, how can you make it topical? I see many K times try to K topicality, but in my experience, this is usually not successful. Is there any way that you can make this aff marginally topical? Even if it doesn't have a plan, there's gotta be some author that can make the case for T a little bit easier for the aff. 

On the performance aspect, were you thinking of Immortal Technique's "Poverty of Philosophy" or other songs? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On the issue of T, how can you make it topical? I see many K times try to K topicality, but in my experience, this is usually not successful. 

In my experience, this is usually very successful...

• Upvote 3

In my experience, this is usually very successful...

I live in a fairly lay district, and I guess that since this aff is more for the national circut it will rely on a K of T. 

Regardless, for the many people who compete in a lay district, T evidence (if it even exists) that try to make this aff "topical" would make it more attractive for those groups. 

• Upvote 1

srsly please don't rehash debate's uncritical endorsement of immortal technique

http://www.protestmusic.org/sexism-and-homophobia-in-politically-conscious-rap/

http://www.guante.info/2007/02/article-conscious-rappers-and.html

do some research and find some music worth playing

• Upvote 2

srsly please don't rehash debate's uncritical endorsement of immortal technique

http://www.protestmusic.org/sexism-and-homophobia-in-politically-conscious-rap/

http://www.guante.info/2007/02/article-conscious-rappers-and.html

do some research and find some music worth playing

I won't say I'm uncritically endorsing him (he has also written some quite anthropocentric songs see: beef and broccoli), but he has changed his views on people of alternative sexuality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iuFf0CxFE8#t=353

I thiiiink it was my roommate at Xylum from Headsroyce that ran this (forgive me if I'm mistaken), but the guy had a passionate hatred of Immortal that ended up in him cutting a K of Immortal Technique. I know at least some school cut and ran this K.

For the love of god, please don't use Immortal Technique. Like, even given the valid criticism of his otherwise fucked up beliefs, he isn't that good of a rapper and debate (predominately the white/non-black debaters who coopt that form of performance debate, from my experience. I have never met a true to heart grassroots resistance team to use Immortal Technique) has overhyped the shit out of him. I find a good litmus test to see if someone actually enjoys socially conscious hip hop is to see if the first words out their mouth is Immortal Technique.

If you have to cut the originality and go with a mainstream conscious rapper, at least do someone with talent like Mos Def or Talib Kweli or join the two with Black Star. At least go a classic route like Lauryn Hill, the Coup, or Paris, or maybe newer sceners like Joey Bada$$ or Cities Aviv.

There is just too much Immortal Technique in debate. I get the whole tried and true thing, but it's refreshing to go into a round and not hear Immortal Technique or even Dead Prez. This, however, is ultimately my opinion.

I thiiiink it was my roommate at Xylum from Headsroyce that ran this (forgive me if I'm mistaken), but the guy had a passionate hatred of Immortal that ended up in him cutting a K of Immortal Technique. I know at least some school cut and ran this K.

He cut an anthro k of it I think.

For clarifications regarding the usage of an immortal technique song: i am aware of various criticisms of his music, as well as problematic methodologies that he engages in. Homeland and Hip Hop is a roughly 2ish minute song that is entirely a speech given by Mumia Abu-Jamal that is in the context of poverty in the US, and its relationship to Homeland Security as well as the expression of this criticism in contemporary activist hip-hop. 

again, this aspect of the affirmative (should it be written) is negotiable--it doesn't HAVE to be in the aff if there is consensus for whatever reason that the song should not be included.

in response to the co-option concern, this was something that i thought about. my justification for including the song was to have a position from someone who was affected by the system of power relations that is arguably responsible for exploitation of Latin American countries that lined up with the Aff (the intent was to avoid a speaking-for-others situation as well as access some Frierian methods of Pedagogy). should this be a portion of the aff that receives support, there will be an answer to the "white people coopt hip-hop/performance" argument)

I won't say I'm uncritically endorsing him (he has also written some quite anthropocentric songs see: beef and broccoli), but he has changed his views on people of alternative sexuality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iuFf0CxFE8#t=353

hm, that's interesting. sign of the times, i guess. fair enough then, immortal technique on.