Pokemon

Best Counterplans So Far?

Go for all 50 states secede, become their own countries, and do the plan. The net benefit is

Federalism

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The serious answer is conditions CP for certain plans, and PIC for embargos. This years topic args are mainly K's and impact turns, with the occasional DA.

Definitely agree that conditions CPs are the way to go. There are a ton of them for every country. My problem with Embargo PICs is the lack of solvency advocates. Yes, removing the embargo on rice may be bad. But there won't be an author that says "remove the entire embargo except rice." I looked for a while for a piece of evidence that said you can remove the embargo with exceptions, but didn't find anything good. Does anyone have a card saying this? Of course, the negative could get out of this by saying that the affirmative should defend every part of their plan text, considering the embargo is huge and covers thousands of products and services.

• Upvote 1

Well when I was talking about embargo PIC's I was mainly talking about the plans with an adv of lets say sugarcane ethanol, rum, or just any specific item that will be traded. The PIC we would run would be, "Lift the embargo just for sugarcane"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well when I was talking about embargo PIC's I was mainly talking about the plans with an adv of lets say sugarcane ethanol, rum, or just any specific item that will be traded. The PIC we would run would be, "Lift the embargo just for sugarcane"

what's an addon? 

seriously though that'd never work

• Upvote 2

what's an addon? 

seriously though that'd never work

but it has worked, watched a round couple weeks ago that ran a PIC of just lifting the embargo for sugarcane, I guess it just depends on how you debate it.

Executive order is undoubtedly the best. There's a lot of uniqueness for prez power too cus of all thats been going down with like Syria, Obamacare, etc.

The solvency/legality can be pretty iffy for some issues though, at least judging from the vague wording on the cards I've seen.

Edited by Atlas0Smirked

The serious answer is conditions CP for certain plans, and PIC for embargos. This years topic args are mainly K's and impact turns, with the occasional DA.

I have issues with both of these ideas ---

A. Conditions CP- The topicality literature is very good, that economic engagement is quid-pro-quo, that means that Perm: Do the CP is probably a legitimate argument. This is the last blow for what I think is a shaky argument at best because the theoretical objections to these arguments are actually legitimate.

B. PIC for Embargo- I don't know if this is how people do it in your region, but from what I've experienced locally and on the national circuit (east coast), people have been writing their plan texts in such a way that they avoid a ton of these type of arguments. Specifically, they don't claim to "lift" the embargo, they claim to "normalize" relations -- which lets them pretty easily perm: do cp against these cps.

• Upvote 3

Executive order is undoubtedly the best. There's a lot of uniqueness for prez power too cus of all thats been going down with like Syria, Obamacare, etc.

XO is hyper-generic, and undoubtedly links hard to the only decent  NB there is for it (ptx).  Any decent team will have case-specific solvency deficits to it.  Also perm do the CP can kill it easily with the right lit.  Any internal NB (prez powers) if super non-uniqued by the fact that obama has signed a bunch of XOs.  Also a CP with nothing more than an internal NB is pretty shaky theoretically.  This is from someone who's run XO several times this year

B. PIC for Embargo- I don't know if this is how people do it in your region, but from what I've experienced locally and on the national circuit (east coast), people have been writing their plan texts in such a way that they avoid a ton of these type of arguments. Specifically, they don't claim to "lift" the embargo, they claim to "normalize" relations -- which lets them pretty easily perm: do cp against these cps.

I've encountered this as well.  I had a hard time convincing the other team (though not the judge) their cuban oil aff linked to russian oil because the tag of the link said "lifting embargo" and their plan text didn't

Embargo PIC, conditions CP, some consult CPs (maybe with sphere impacts - China, Brazil, Russia, etc.). There's some surprisingly good XO ev (with strong no link to politics) for treaties aff CPs out there.

I feel like perm do CP with severance good vs topical CP's theory would be pretty legit to some judges. 

Edited by RainSilves

I feel like perm do CP with severance good vs topical CP's theory would be pretty legit to some judges. 

Also there's plenty of lit saying USFG is any and/or all parts

economic engagement is quid-pro-quo, that means that Perm: Do the CP is probably a legitimate argument.

What? Either the aff is QPQ in which case it's obviously not competitve because the CP would hafta be double conditions OR it wasn't which means the aff isn't T... that's silly.

Aditionally, Perm do CP ground is definitely not a reason conditions CPs are bad. 

Here's how affs work- if it doesnt lift Cuba embargo, it's solved by Intl Actor

If it does, the PIC solves even if there isnt a specific solvency advocate because i think the net benefit is functionally a reason why the CP is a good idea, checks any offensive reason why CPs need a solvency advocate. PICS are bad but if you defend embargo its the only CP that solves your aff which means its justified

*shudder* I can only imagine that round...

I hate non-mutually exclusive CP's so much I will do anything to mess around with someone who runs them. Even if this strat doesn't work on the national circuit, it sure works in Oregon. 

This is a great year for Plan-Plan debate. 

Otherwise, as always, good CPs are specifically targeted against the opposing plan, and there certainly exist decent CPs (especially advantage CPs) for this topic.  But most debaters want a generic 'I can run this every round' CP.  Hint: those are never good.

• Downvote 5