nathan_debate

Stephen Colbert takes a Hit at Post-modernism & Truthiness

STEPHEN COLBERT: What?! Where’d that college intern go??

CHARLIE SKINNER: There never was any intern, Stephen! I did it to prove a point! That as journalists, we are the gatekeepers of truth! We separate right from wrong, fact from fiction, delicates from permanent press! I recall a man who said, “With great power comes great responsibility.†That man was Spider-Man’s uncle. And now… he’s dead! The public needs us to be the watchdogs of democracy. We have a responsibility to criticize our leaders without reproach, report national secrets without fear of imprisonment. If we violate this contract, this public trust….

STEPHEN COLBERT: How much longer does this go?

CHARLIE SKINNER: Almost done. Then we will have a puppet press of hearsay and innuendo and speculation, hyperbole, and nonsense! Ding dong! Who is it? It’s Domino’s. But more importantly, it’s the truth!! (wild audience laughter and applause) Delivered hot and crusty! Or your money back! That’s a guarantee we make America every night, otherwise the world is just crazy bread.

STEPHEN COLBERT: Technically, crazy bread is Little Caesar’s.

CHARLIE SKINNER: It’s called poetic license, goddamnit!

STEPHEN COLBERT: You’re right, The Newsroom’s Charlie Skinner. Now if you’ll excuse me, there’s something I have to do.

The transcript is from the Daily Kos--if you want to cut it.  Obviously its available here too--but its the full transcript.

This would only work as an argument in a very few cases, I think.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

To me it parallels the Sokal Affair or Sokal Hoax a bit....

Thoughts?
Edited by nathan_debate
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure that he's really satirizing post-modernism or the kinds of things kritik authors say at all. I think he's just being silly. I can't see a satire of really anything in particular here.

• Upvote 2

What the fuck are you talking about?

Indeed.

This would only work as an argument in a very few cases, I think.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

What cases?

I'm not sure that he's really satirizing post-modernism or the kinds of things kritik authors say at all. I think he's just being silly. I can't see a satire of really anything in particular here.

If anything, its a satire of people that think they have access to capital T Truth, "delivered hot and crusty" like a Dominoes Pizza. 

...which is the punchline of post-modern thought. 

• Upvote 2

A good post-structuralist would situate Sokal's actions historically. And view his writings as an artifact that emerged more from the zeitgeist rather than predominately from the mind of some rational subject with free will.

I'm guessing they'd find that there are a lot better things to hate on that are a lot more pervasive than "post-modern" intellectuals. But for some reason he felt he had to be an agents provocateur in order to discipline a tiny minority of intellectual dissidents.

The question I would ask is "was he paid to play the role of COINTELPRO???" because if not its kind of sad.

• Upvote 2