BernieSanders

Whitman Debate Team Suspended due to Title XI Violations

That article is one of the most recent that the newspaper has printed. Here's a link to their earlier series: http://whitmanpioneer.com/news/2013/05/20/debate-culture-under-scrutiny/

This seems like a surprisingly high quality school newspaper. These articles are interesting and multifaceted.

I think it's clear that debate has a culture problem, but that culture problem is obviously the result of the wider culture that debate exists in. Most of the problems with Whitman's debate team seem relatively mild to me. Like, obviously it'd be best if debate teams didn't bond around drinking but it's idealistic to expect that to somehow be prevented by coaches. Similarly, people of course shouldn't be pressured into attending parties they're not comfortable at, but to act as though the debate team is to blame for that situation is dumb. Without attending Whitman I obviously can't get a great perspective on this, but my impression is that the administration wants to kill their debate team for some reason and is trying to use gender as an excuse.

Also, I was amused by seeing Ankur's signature in the petition that was used a while ago.

Edited by Chao
  • Downvote 1

Also, I was amused by seeing Ankur's signature in the petition that was used a while ago.

Irrelevant aside: that's a different Ankur.

Irrelevant aside: that's a different Ankur.

I meant his "twilight doesn't fall all at once" signature. I didn't notice a non-cross-x Ankur.

Edited by Chao
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On a completely unrelated note, thanks for voting me up in quarters Menzies.  Even if you didn't read that i advanced to semis at awards :P

P.S. to my knowledge all Title IX investigations are ongoing and there have been no conclusive findings that the team was "in violation" of any statutes - the thread title is egregiously misleading

Sorry about that. 

That article is one of the most recent that the newspaper has printed. Here's a link to their earlier series: http://whitmanpioneer.com/news/2013/05/20/debate-culture-under-scrutiny/

Most of the problems with Whitman's debate team seem relatively mild to me. Like, obviously it'd be best if debate teams didn't bond around drinking but it's idealistic to expect that to somehow be prevented by coaches. Similarly, people of course shouldn't be pressured into attending parties they're not comfortable at, but to act as though the debate team is to blame for that situation is dumb. Without attending Whitman I obviously can't get a great perspective on this, but my impression is that the administration wants to kill their debate team for some reason and is trying to use gender as an excuse.

Ditto disclaimer about being an outsider. 

I tend to agree with the assessment of "relatively mild" issues, except that I take serious pause over the stuff about assistant coaches. If people within the authority structure are directly involved in the preconditions to problematic behavior, eg providing alcohol to the social events that they also participate in, that definitely makes recourse much more complicated for anyone who feels uncomfortable. It is credible that victimizing behaviors are enabled by that environment. To the extent assistant coaches are now at greater social remove from the team, new charges/complaints of systemic problems are more dubious.

HI all,

If you are at all interested about the changes we are making or coming to debate at this incredible school, please contact me at kuswakd @ whitman . edu.  We hope to be back and competing at tournaments soon and the squad is a truly amazing group of people to work with.  In the meantime, as Ben mentioned, we are working in the Washington State Penitentiary to organize debates with the incarcerated individuals there and we are making changes in our team culture that will make us even stronger over the long run.

If you have good grades and a passion for debate at the highest level, please contact me about applying to school at Whitman.  We have very generous scholarship opportunities and offer one of the best undergraduate educations in the country.

Kevin

• Upvote 1