I'm going to a tournament in a week or two that should have a pretty good judging pool. They should all be flowing, giving oral critiques, and be moderately OK with speed. only problem is that 90% would consider themselves as "policymakers" and my typical K style of debate would probably not work too well. It looks like it's time for me to block out some disads.

Besides politics, what are some good generic disads that are worth investing time into blocking out? Right now all I've got blocked out is the China DA, Asia Pivot DA, and an Iran DipCap DA that is kinda outdated. Wondering if anyone has experience with disad debate on this topic with similar style judges?

Also would maybe trade some K stuff for a well blocked out Disad.

Eww... Well I guess it's better than nothing

Not many good disads on the topic in my opinion...

Case turns and Ks are where it's at.

Edited by Miro
  • Upvote 2

Yes, the disads on this years topic are terrible. Maybe you should become a master at T? it seems like a lot of good straight up policy affs aren't really "substantial." For example, kids at SDA are running "remove price floor on mexican tomatoes" And "economic engagement," kinda a lot of T ground there as well (as you probably know.)

And if the judging pool is good, are you sure they won't be cool with, like, your best K?

idk if i were you i would just be running like 3 T's at this tourney with CIR and CP's, something like dat.

Edited by mowl

Yes, the disads on this years topic are terrible. Maybe you should become a master at T? it seems like a lot of good straight up policy affs aren't really "substantial." For example, kids at SDA are running "USFG should remove the price floor on Mexican tomatoes." And "economic engagement," kinda a lot of T ground there as well (as you probably know.)

And if the judging pool is good, are you sure they won't be cool with, like, your best K?

idk if i were you i would just be running like 3 T's at this tourney with CIR and CP's, something like dat.

Well I went to the tournament last year, and was hitting lay style teams. I thought it was a really good judging pool but really it's just alot of former debaters, not necessarily the high flow open-to-anything types of judges that you see at the bigger tournaments. I remember most judges saying they would only vote on T if they didn't think the aff was topical when they heard the plan text. As for Ks, I tryed that twice and it didn't go great. I could probably get away with a Cap K but I don't like the middle of the road Ks very much. I'l probably just stick to Politics + China + Case Dump

Politics is a great generic strat to have. Check the politics today, if the climate looks good you should get a disad, if it looks shitty then do something else. Everyone hates cuba and venezuela

• Upvote 1

I feel like there are versions of the neoliberalism and imperialism Ks that could be very persuasive to even policymaker type judges. You might be better off modifying your existing style rather than trying to switch over to a more traditional style just for this one tournament. But you're the one who actually knows the judges, so this might just be me spouting ignorance here.

Edited by Chao

I feel like there are versions of the neoliberalism and imperialism Ks that could be very persuasive to even policymaker type judges. You might be better off modifying your existing style rather than trying to switch over to a more traditional style just for this one tournament. But you're the one who actually knows the judges, so this might just be me spouting ignorance here.

The "Securo-Cap" K that Baylor's debate institute put out is really great for exactly this purpose. Someone uploaded it in another thread, but if anyone's interested I'll re-host it.

The "Securo-Cap" K that Baylor's debate institute put out is really great for exactly this purpose. Someone uploaded it in another thread, but if anyone's interested I'll re-host it.

can you please?

Well, I'm sorry it's too late, but the ENDA politics is solid for this weekend... I ran it and it won all every single time. Nobody cut anything on it..

Well, I'm sorry it's too late, but the ENDA politics is solid for this weekend... I ran it and it won all every single time. Nobody cut anything on it..

ENDA? Does that have a good link to econ, or do you just roll with K impacts to it? 

Edited by JosephOverman

The Disad ground on this topic is absolute dogshit and other than politics you're pretty much SOL for anything that will do you well at the higher levels. 

Besides politics, what are some good generic disads that are worth investing time into blocking out? Right now all I've got blocked out is the China DA, Asia Pivot DA, and an Iran DipCap DA that is kinda outdated. Wondering if anyone has experience with disad debate on this topic with similar style judges?

I don't actually think disad ground on this topic is as bad as most people say. Besides politics (the only problem is link/link uniqueness against Mexico affs. People rant about how shitty they think PC good i/l ev is for the politics diasd this year "because Republicans hate Obama and everything he touches", but I just don't think the evidence actually supports that. CIR is a decent disad)...

You've got China SOI, which is a pretty strong disad (most of the camp link/uq ev was to Mexico, iirc? so you've got a decent link story against any aff at this point), especially if the aff is a huge trade aff or has a relations/influence advantage. I'm not sure what impacts camps released (I think there was a China soft power impact which I'd recommend not reading, because there's no Latin America key i/l... unless you can find one, and I know for a fact that does exist... There was a sphere competition/containment bad impact that I think was good, iirc), but the best one, imo, is China resource security, particularly energy security. There's a lot of good evidence that Chinese access to South American markets is key to their energy security (there's even evidence that increased US influence would be used to deny them access to oil markets in particular, because US policy makers are asshats like that), and that Chinese energy insecurity causes Sino-American war, Chinese economic collapse+CCP instability+lashout, etc. It's a solid disad.

Iran dipcap has some very good impacts, but is also a dipcap disad, so the question of the link+i/l is pretty damning.

I'm not familiar with Asia pivot DA (is it Latin America distracts from Asia pivot, k2 stop China rise? Or is it specific like TPP strengthens pivot, pivot bad b/c China lashout?).

Brazil softpower is a pretty bad disad, imo, because it's really contrived i/l thresholds to garner ridiculous impacts. I'd advise cutting a consult Brazil CP - I've put together one with a Brazil lashout net benefit (it's not the most believable impact, but it's better than nothing. Brazil sphere of influence disad ---> Brazil prolif and war, basically). I don't remember all of the authors, but Einaudi 11 is the solvency advocate for consult Brazil (pretty much the only decent one, if you want to cut that). Brazil softpower just doesn't seem like it accesses large impacts very well - you might be able to garner an Amazon rainforest bio-d impact, but Brazil's not good for much else in terms of guaranteeing international stability, and I'm also skeptical of convincing tradeoff i/l evidence.

UMICH's Mercosur is also a pretty good generic disad (/shameless self-promotion). Links are generic means it basically functions like a sphere of influence disad, except you can probably find/cut very good links specific to Venezuela (or Latin American free trade). I'd recommend the Russian LNG impact - there are enough additional impacts in the file that you can turn most any common advantage.

That should be enough - Mercosur for Venezuela, China SOI for Mexico, actually unique disads+PICs for Cuba. And, tbh, Mercosur and China could be credibly used against any aff, depending on the link, and you've got consult Brazil. Other sphere of influence disads are probably worth investing time in - I've heard Russia SOI is a thing, and I've cut EU (it's hard to find ev on, but it's also a pretty solid disad).

I seem to have forgotten oil which is a great disad, too. Link uq on this is great against Venezuela and Cuba, and probably against a lot of Mexican affs - hydrocarbons and stuff - too... I don't think "Link: Trade" is very credible, though. One problem for this is i/l uniqueness, though, as oil prices are currently, iirc, below 100/barrel, but that's not a long-term prediction, meaning your Russian econ impact is probably safe. People make fun of the Filger 9 impact evidence (which is pretty good, but I bet you can find better Russian econ ev), but it's actually a solid card, and the guy's pretty credible.

None of these disads are perfect - they've all their weak points (eg: unless you're hitting a relations aff that gives you uniqueness for free, China SOI is going to have problems proving a link+uniqueness against Mexico affs... because the US trades with them and stuff, and because investing a couple million in Mexican nanotech probably doesn't collapse Chinese influence in Latin America), but I really don't think disad ground on this topic is "dogshit". It's way better than transportation infrastructure (where we had... what, exactly? Politics and... a couple aff-specific biodiversity DAs). There are a variety of disads with diverse impact ground out there.

• Upvote 1