Sign in to follow this  
grandpa

Year end review: what worked, what didn't

I'm interested to hear what people thought were the main reasons they won/lost aff rounds this year. Particularly, I'm interested in people discussing specific aspects of cases they ran for a long time this year, and what strategies they found most/least effective.

Just curious

People who run kritiks but don't really understand them or read their lit. Plummeting them in cross-x is always fun.

Congo was a hella sweet plan this year, landmines were ok, aids sucked donkey dick. imperialism kritik was awsome and bangladesh kicked ass and not having bangledash in the semi-finals at state cuased us to lose. wow what a great year but now we're on to bigger and better things for next year so....

hah. i beg to difffer.i say haiti.it kicks major ass. not a lot of people run it/have case specific stuff/are prepped for it & especially w/ a rape advantage it is awesome (acts as a narrative & that works really well with perms on k's). our impacts really do outweigh most everybodys & we have tons of ev saying only the US can solve so it's so easy to get out of cp's. & i've done a lot of reading on haiti & i really do believe in our plan & think that it is what we actually should do. yah. plans like sudan/genocide/etc. are really good in the way that the people running them have save darfur bands & what not & are really passionate but everybody runs it. & that gets so old.

hah. i beg to difffer.i say haiti.it kicks major ass. not a lot of people run it/have case specific stuff/are prepped for it & especially w/ a rape advantage it is awesome (acts as a narrative & that works really well with perms on k's). our impacts really do outweigh most everybodys & we have tons of ev saying only the US can solve so it's so easy to get out of cp's. & i've done a lot of reading on haiti & i really do believe in our plan & think that it is what we actually should do. yah. plans like sudan/genocide/etc. are really good in the way that the people running them have save darfur bands & what not & are really passionate but everybody runs it. & that gets so old.

Haiti isn't topical, and it still links to SPANOS,:BB

oh, and the best kritikal case was invade america. but the best straight up policy case of the year is still the golan heights. the article by chris lavigne is probably the best solvency evidence of the year.

what are you talking about Elliott? Haiti (or at least our Haiti) is one of the most topical cases this year... & there are tons of answers to be made against spanos, so i guess i beg to differ. but we have an 18 page frontline to spanos. don't ask why.

golan=best aff. this year.

No it wasnt the one time the other team was goin to run it on us they found out we had updates on it so they ran sudan

But i stuck to my labs topic Liberia

Me and my partner made it sweet almost unstoppable exept for that one neg card saying Peacekeeping causes more terrorism and the whole peacekeepers cause more rape

best aff-- congo

everyone that runs it seems to be well above 50:50

worst aff-- counterfactual rwanda

granted it kills a noob team like nobody's business, but really... i've never seen a case be so creative yet be such a bad idea.

Reject the Resolution.

shut up teddy. ;)

nonviolence has to be the best case this year in my opinion. as well as a case turn on the neg.

No it wasnt the one time the other team was goin to run it on us they found out we had updates on it so they ran sudan

um just because some team sucked and was scared of an actual on case debate doesn't mean it was bad.

But i stuck to my labs topic Liberia

Me and my partner made it sweet almost unstoppable exept for that one neg card saying Peacekeeping causes more terrorism and the whole peacekeepers cause more rape

um no. liberia was a)not topical and b)non inherent

I was a big fan of landmines in Ethiopia and Eritrea. We didn't lose all too many aff rounds on that this year.

I have to say, Congo was perhaps the worst affirmative on the topic that managed to be T. The internal links to each advantage were 1. Terrible, 2. Not true, and 3. Easy to make analytic arguments against that took out the entirety of the advantage. It also links to Foucault perhaps more than any other affirmative on this topic, and had no effective answer, especially to a card that explains how discourse shapes reality in the specific context of the Congo.

There are several affs that did pretty well this year such as: Georgia, Airlift, Golan Heights. But in the end, number of wins with each aff really depended on who was running it. Westminster DW didn't lose too many affs on Georgia, Greenhill BS didn't lose too many airlift rounds, and Lexington JZ didn't lose many Golan rounds.

nonviolence has to be the best case this year in my opinion. as well as a case turn on the neg.

Nonviolence was pretty sweet. Good evidence, good advocacy.

Safety Convention didn't work well for us. AIDS didn't pass the test. Sex Trafficking was dropped due to vote of no confidence. After State, I will edit this with what worked for us.

I was a big fan of landmines in Ethiopia and Eritrea. We didn't lose all too many aff rounds on that this year.

I have to say, Congo was perhaps the worst affirmative on the topic that managed to be T. The internal links to each advantage were 1. Terrible, 2. Not true, and 3. Easy to make analytic arguments against that took out the entirety of the advantage. It also links to Foucault perhaps more than any other affirmative on this topic, and had no effective answer, especially to a card that explains how discourse shapes reality in the specific context of the Congo.

yeah no.... congo was the shits, if it wasn't i would not have went 4-2 with it at states(i dropped one round becuase of a dumb kritik that the judge ignored my argument on(it was a nuclear war talk k and its impact was nuclear war!!! the impact bi the k so bad its not even funny but the judge didn't flow the entire 1ar obviously))

seriously foucalt isn't that great

word, all affs on this topic suck

yeah no.... congo was the shits, if it wasn't i would not have went 4-2 with it at states(i dropped one round becuase of a dumb kritik that the judge ignored my argument on(it was a nuclear war talk k and its impact was nuclear war!!! the impact bi the k so bad its not even funny but the judge didn't flow the entire 1ar obviously))

seriously foucalt isn't that great

if it was chaloupka...you obviously dont know how the criticism works. and that argument doesnt work.

Sign in to follow this