LawrenceGrandpre

Towson Debate-Harassment and Abuse

I have no words for this. I attended Xylum twice these past two years, last year which was at Towson, and have grown to be friends with Stephen Davis. Hearing this has both shocked, saddened, and torn me. I am completely speechless. While I can't speak to Stephen himself being a racist, the neglect of the administration is unconditionally deplorable.

• Upvote 7

I have no words for this. I attended Xylum twice these past two years, last year which was at Towson, and have grown to be friends with Stephen Davis. Hearing this has both shocked, saddened, and torn me. I am completely speechless. While I can't speak to Stephen himself being a racist, the neglect of the administration is unconditionally deplorable.

Nobody is calling him racist; Just a raging, power hungry ass-hat. 

• Upvote 5

I know, from being in his lab he really was the last person I'd ever accuse of being racist. I had heard things about how he treated his debaters but I'd never assume it was this bad... Damn this is f'd up. 

• Upvote 2

At the expense of making light of a serious situation, I just want to point out, that as I was reading this post, I had this image of Stephen Davis creating waves of psychic energy that disintegrate all those around him, like a super-villain or something...

...The previous coach had dangerous psychical outbursts of anger... 

highlight of that video is the older black man tearing that smug racist little shit to shreds. 

• Upvote 8

highlight of that video is the older black man tearing that smug racist little shit to shreds. 

Skip to these times, the only rational parts of the video itself past me wanting to punch that kid in the fucking face 

0:48

4:14 

7:43

12:14

13:10

16:14- Towson Community Member vs the Leader of the WSU (This is what I believe Maury is talking about)

Funniest thing any person could ever say- "Wheres the NAACP for white people?" Quoted by the leader of the WSU, who claims

1) he is not racist and

2) he is not intolerant

Also, the WSU blatantly celebrates the death of Lincoln-

8:28 "Well let's all remember the date today's the anniversary of lincolns assassination" "let's all clap" 

Jesus fucking christ, let's retract from racism for a second guys- we know these fucktards are giant racists, but they claim to accept their european heritage AND to be americans and patriots, did they seriously just fucking clap for the assassination of a president? I don't fucking care if it was George W Bush, that is ONE OF THE WORST things you can do as an american citizen, it is a denouncement of your nationality and a giant middle finger to all that have passed in American history, including the Civil War (if they celebrate the death of Lincoln, they definitely celebrate the casualties the north had) and of course the assassination of MLK (but because they claim not to be racist, Lincoln will suffice for them).

My question is- do I have to be an insensitive racist bigot that starts some random fucking club that blatantly discriminates against others and is not even acknowledged by my own school to get a 30 minute long video in which I get wrecked by 3 of the very people I blatantly discriminate against? Please tell me, as this video just made me incredibly angry. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yup. it's so messed up how a historically 'black' college is now a hotbed of racism,

57 members doesn't make it a hotbed of racism, nor does one debate coach (possibly). Towson is still a perfectly good college and probably has fewer racists per capita than most colleges. In both the documentary and OP's observation the college has reacted against the racism in a good way. There's not a college wide problem here, the college as a whole is doing about as well as you can reasonably expect one to.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

57 members doesn't make it a hotbed of racism, nor does one debate coach (possibly). Towson is still a perfectly good college and probably has fewer racists per capita than most colleges. In both the documentary and OP's observation the college has reacted against the racism in a good way. There's not a college wide problem here, the college as a whole is doing about as well as you can reasonably expect one to.

ya. seeing these two things gave me a biased perspective; i've never gone to the campus or anything so that should be redacted.

• Upvote 2

The campus is actually pretty awesome, the dorms are cool and it has a great feel to it.

I will say Ignacio Evans is one of the coolest people to come out of debate, he's an incredibly intelligent dude.

And as for the video itself, the purpose of the documentary is to do exactly what it did to you, incite anger. I think the production of this documentary was very professional in its approach to the topic, which was primarily to expose the WSU, not negatively, but show the world of their existence. The video isn't made to glorify them at all, it's just journalism.

• Upvote 1

The name of his group is "idenitarianism"--isn't that the end result of polarized identity politics????  (aka Wilderson).

Classic nathan_debate.

• Upvote 2

The name of his group is "idenitarianism"--isn't that the end result of polarized identity politics????  (aka Wilderson).

the distinction is that black separatist movements (and most likely other separatist movements) argue that the structure of society inherently marginalizes black people and needs to be broken away from whereas this white 'idenitarianism' movements seek separation because they perceive black culture and people as poison to their own. Additionally, the argument on the theorists of minority identity politics is that their culture/identity has been historically defined by white/male/heterosexual/able-bodied/non-impoverished and in relation to their subjectivity, hence why they would need to reclaim and construct a cultural identity outside of that paradigm. The 'idenitarianist' movement is arguing to preserve a notion of whiteness that is linked directly to racism, slavery, genocide, colonialism, and patriarchy (ie maintaining the use of the Confederate flag as a symbol of their 'heritage') that has been the dominant socio-ontological system. Arguably, this distinction makes all the difference given the relative dis-privilege of a group. Indigenous people, for instance, are substantially at risk of having their culture and heritage erased by loss of land, breeding, and other factors, whereas the attributes inherent to 'white culture' that are at risk of being erased in a multicultural society are the ones that include the baggage of discrimination.

• Upvote 4