Atrix20

How do you do origonal research, and on that subject how does evidence trading work.

I'm in my third year of debate and research is still a really nerve wracking experience because Google (even used correctly) is kinda hard to search for evidence on. How people make huge 300 page mega-files is beyond me. On the topic of files how is it exactly you go about evidence trading on this website? Any help is appreciated.

• Downvote 2

Basically, You make a post in "Evidence Trading" asking for what you want, and what you have to offer (the second part can be over private message if you are concerned).

Make sure you know what you are getting in to. Some people on this site don't know how to preserve ethics. Here are some tips:

1. Don't trade anything you don't want getting out. If you are worried about something getting back to your our circuit or whatever then don't trade it. If you know where the person you're trading lives and feel comfortable about it, then go for it.

2. Don't trade something that you bought on Evazon! This is unethical and unfair to the creators of the files. OGs like Muary are disincentived from making files if people are just going to give them away. Same goes for Thursday files. The reason why they put out so many quality files almost every week is the economic incentive.
3. Don't trade other peoples files! Just don't. Its not yours to give away.
3. Do ask for a table of contents before making a trade. You want to make sure you aren't getting a 3 card file for your 900 page biopolitics K. 

4. Do follow through on a trade. Don't be the person who scumbags someone out of a file you committed to trade. This is different from backing out of  a deal. If you haven't received a file its still safe to back out.

5. Trading isn't a supplement for doing actual debate work and it's really obvious when you aren't familiar with an argument or file. If you do trade, make sure you read up.

Have fun, spread the love, do whatever the fuck you kids do these days.

• Upvote 5

research is all a question of knowing what you're looking for. after that, it's just a matter of patience.

evidence trading is mostly for scrubs. files produced by other high schoolers are almost always useless/bad. your own files are infinitely more valuable to you because you actually made them.

• Upvote 4

I'm in my third year of debate and research is still a really nerve wracking experience because Google (even used correctly) is kinda hard to search for evidence on. How people make huge 300 page mega-files is beyond me. On the topic of files how is it exactly you go about evidence trading on this website? Any help is appreciated.

1. You should have joined CrossX.com much sooner than the third year of debate.

2. Research is tedious, but neccessary in CX and if it gets on your nerves that much, perhaps you should switch to interpretive events.

3. Google works for me and lots of others. I do not think Google is the problem.

4. Research, research, and more research = large files. Research time and file size is a positive correlation.

5. Ask your coach for research assistance.

6. Ask your school librarian for assistance using the databases your school library subscribes to.

7. Do the same with the public librarian.

8. If you have access to the full use of a university library, get help there using LexisNexis and other databases.

9. Put laziness aside and prepare to research or prepare to fail in CX and in English class.

10. Do not rely on evidence trading. Anyone that is a self professed poor research skills person will have nothing to trade. You might purchase your research. If you are still having research difficulties after three years, you are either used to being spoon fed your case evidence by others, into self-induced mental duress, or just plain lazy. This info and the post on evidence trading along with others may help you find info easier, but only you can fix it if laziness is the problem.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure what kind of articles you are trying to cut, but as a heavily kritikal debater i am astonished by how lazy people are asking for others to explain everything, find cards and cut blocks.  K debaters should find the ORIGINAL sources and many cards will be in those.  

Since I haven't seen anyone mention these sites, I would like to recommend both of these extremely highly:

-libgen.info: you can find just about any book here

-aaaarg.org: I may have gotten the number of As wrong

Google scholar is also a better search tool than just a blanket search.

Use the Lexis Nexis database all the time

It might be worth it to buy a subscription to jstor or a similar site as well

I cannot stress this enough, but I would say 75% of the time going to the library is the best way to research. (the other 25% of the time is when you are cutting uniqueness updates, politics, etc) Using actual books is beneficial for a couple of reasons.  First the evidence quality is waay better.  The process for getting books published is much more stringent than getting an article in an online journal or wherever you get your shit.  Peer reviews and so forth, meaning the arguments presented are more likely to be complete and also they are probably more likely to be true, which helps make good arguments.  Second is the ToC, which allows you to pick out where good cards might be located.  Also large libraries have a lot of material on hand which helps, plus other various miscellania. Going to a public (or even better a nearby college or university if applicable), library is a good usage of time.  Getting photocopies, and digitalizing is a pain, but it is worth it.  I'll never forget amassing literally a table and a half of books.  Twas most of my research that year.

• Upvote 1

Google scholar is also a better search tool than just a blanket search.

This.  Scholar is the bomb.

Also your school/local library is the best.  They probably have Lexis, or something similar.

• Upvote 1

Also your school/local library is the best.  They probably have Lexis, or something similar.

So, so not true

Or something similar.  Most libraries have some form of database available for journals.

I'm jealous, I had to make a trip to a university where I had friends so I could steal internet and get access to databases that way.  My school was terrible for research.

I'm jealous, I had to make a trip to a university where I had friends so I could steal internet and get access to databases that way.  My school was terrible for research.

I usually use my public library.