SnarkosaurusRex

Answering T For This Plantext?

seams anti topical 

Answering, not attacking.

(defending)

And it seems really open to PICs so if anyone had any idea for a Mexico speficic "replacement" for the WoD that would be appreciated.

Im confused like the topical version of this aff would be increase funding to mexico for the war on drugs not end funding 

So there's nothing about ending policies that damage Mexico's economy = EE? I mean in practice it's similar to the Cuban Embargo in terms of functionality for EE definitions (Cuban Embargo hurts Cuba's economy, lift to ^ EE. There are cards saying that the Drug War hurts Mexico's economy.)

The reason why the Cuban Embargo is topical is because there is evidence saying that removing trade barriers is economic engagement. If you have evidence saying the war on drugs is a trade barrier then you sound good to go, and you'll have your foot in the door in the competing interpretation debate.

• Upvote 2

If that doesn't work, then are there any good camp files to look at for K-Aff answers to T? Because that is being run as a K aff.

Ok makes sense now. and ummmm i will have to look i know i have the k of t somewhere

Yeah, right now I'm using some freire cards but from what I've read of Freire (not much mind you) I'm screwed if I hit someone familiar with him; I think his cards about who can overcome oppression could be used as offense against my aff if framed the right way.

Okay, what definition do the Cuba Tourism aff's use? Because I found this:

"The drug war has had many casualties. Tourism has flatlined in Tijuana. Oscar Jesús Escobedo, Baja California's tourism secretary, estimates that 800,000 potential visitors decided not to come to the state last year because of the violence. Fancy beach resorts, started during the real estate boom, stand as half-built skeletons along the Pacific Coast highway, including the luxury hotel-condo Trump Baja, which went bust. In addition to the drug violence, a February travel advisory by the U.S. State Department noted that "robberies, homicides, petty thefts, and carjackings have all increased over the last year across Mexico generally, with notable spikes in Tijuana and northern Baja California."

Yeah, right now I'm using some freire cards but from what I've read of Freire (not much mind you) I'm screwed if I hit someone familiar with him; I think his cards about who can overcome oppression could be used as offense against my aff if framed the right way.

I debated against freire before (The K)... it was before I went to camp and my first flow tournament... They crushed us on the flow because we couldn't understand them & read generic K frontlines... Afterwards the judge still voted for us because the K did link to itself... So I'd just leave it out of the debate completely, even if the other team isn't familiar with him at all there's a chance you'll still be dropped

I debated against freire before (The K)... it was before I went to camp and my first flow tournament... They crushed us on the flow because we couldn't understand them & read generic K frontlines... Afterwards the judge still voted for us because the K did link to itself... So I'd just leave it out of the debate completely, even if the other team isn't familiar with him at all there's a chance you'll still be dropped

Thanks for the advice. I'm not using much of Friere (and it's AT: T not a K) so I hopefully won't get dropped for linking.

The only things I'm using are:

The act of deciding who gets the right to speak stifles debate. The terminal impact of this type of thought is that debate robbed of its educational potential.

Paulo Friere, Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Chapter 1, educator and director of the Department of Cultural  Extension of Recife University,1970

Dialogue is the encounter between men, mediated by the world, in order to name the world. Hence, dialogue cannot occur between those who want to name the world and those who do not wish this  naming — between those who deny others the right to speak their word and those whose right to speak  has been denied them. Those who have been denied their primordial right to speak their word must first reclaim this right and prevent the continuation of this dehumanizing aggression. If it is in speaking their word that people, by naming the world, transform it dialogue imposes itself as the way by which they achieve significance as human beings. Dialogue is thus an existential necessity. And since  dialogue is the encounter in which the united reflection and action of the dialoguers are addressed to  the world which is to be transformed and humanized, this dialogue cannot be reduced to the act of one  person’s “depositing†ideas in another; nor can it become a simple exchange of ideas to be “consumed† by the discussants.

and

The resolution serves to domesticate the minds of debaters by not considering realities and histories – to avoid turning into mindless debaters we must critically consider reality

Freire 1968 (Paulo Freire. Educational Revolutionary. “Pedagogy of the Oppressedâ€. Pg74-75)       

The banking approach to adult education, for example, will never propose to students that they critically consider reality. It will deal instead with such vital questions as whether Roger gave green grass to the goat, and insist upon the importance of learning that, on the contrary, Roger gave green grass to the rabbit. The “humanism†of the banking approach masks the effort to turn women and men into automations—the very negation of their ontological vocation to be more fully human.

Those who use the banking approach, knowingly or unknowingly (for there are innumerable well-intentioned bank-clerk teachers who do not realize that they are serving only to dehumanize), fail to perceive that the deposits themselves contain contradictions about reality. But, sooner or later, these contradictions may lead formerly passive students to turn against their domestication and the attempt to domesticate reality. They may discover through existential experience that their present way of life is irreconcilable with their vocation to become fully human. They may perceive through their relations with reality that reality is really process, undergoing constant transformation. If men and women are searches and their ontological vocation is humanization, sooner or later they may perceive the contradiction in which banking education seeks to maintain them, and then engage themselves in the struggle for their liberation.

Anyway, do you know what Tourism affs use as def. of T?

The resolution serves to domesticate the minds of debaters by not considering realities and histories – to avoid turning into mindless debaters we must critically consider reality

Freire 1968 (Paulo Freire. Educational Revolutionary. “Pedagogy of the Oppressedâ€. Pg74-75)       

The banking approach to adult education, for example, will never propose to students that they critically consider reality. It will deal instead with such vital questions as whether Roger gave green grass to the goat, and insist upon the importance of learning that, on the contrary, Roger gave green grass to the rabbit. The “humanism†of the banking approach masks the effort to turn women and men into automations—the very negation of their ontological vocation to be more fully human.

Those who use the banking approach, knowingly or unknowingly (for there are innumerable well-intentioned bank-clerk teachers who do not realize that they are serving only to dehumanize), fail to perceive that the deposits themselves contain contradictions about reality. But, sooner or later, these contradictions may lead formerly passive students to turn against their domestication and the attempt to domesticate reality. They may discover through existential experience that their present way of life is irreconcilable with their vocation to become fully human. They may perceive through their relations with reality that reality is really process, undergoing constant transformation. If men and women are searches and their ontological vocation is humanization, sooner or later they may perceive the contradiction in which banking education seeks to maintain them, and then engage themselves in the struggle for their liberation.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong. Freire doesn't talk about resolutions in policy debate. This tag is just wrong. This is just saying that the Banking method of education serves to domesticate and dehumanize minds.