OfficerTom

Affs So Far

For those of you that have already started their seasons, what affs have you hit? I'm expecting atleast half to be embargo... anyone hit a venezuela aff other than PDVSA?

So far i've only hit the UTNIF affirmatives (specifically the labor union/nafta/maquila and the Mexico THA ones on openevidence) and a starter-pack aff about lifting the embargo - relations & soft power advantages.

• Upvote 1

I think the Embargo aff is the best aff on this topic. Even if it is common, there's a HUGE diversity of advantages. Although there's equally as large negative ground, I think negative arguments are easier to predict.

• Downvote 1

I've already hit a Katrina UTNIF aff (Cuban Disaster Assistance kritikal aff), Cuban Embargo and Mexico Hydrocarbon, also someone in my circuit runs a dolphins aff kind of like ktg's. 

This might seem a little of the theme of this thread but I hope y'all don't mind. What are the plan texts for TBHA? I kinda like the file on open ev but I can't find one and I am personally too green to write one myself so if someone could help me out that would be really nice. In the meantime I'll keep reading the file.

I'm curious, has anyone hit Cuba Canes'? If so, what off case did you run on it?

What is the plantext to that aff?

• Upvote 1

This might seem a little of the theme of this thread but I hope y'all don't mind. What are the plan texts for TBHA? I kinda like the file on open ev but I can't find one and I am personally too green to write one myself so if someone could help me out that would be really nice. In the meantime I'll keep reading the file.

Thus the Plan:  The United States federal government should ratify the Transboundary Hydrocarbons Agreement with Mexico.

• Upvote 1

I dont think there was a Venezuela in the whole tournament haha. Cuban embargo is really lame, and so is mexico and so are the off case idk not a fan of the topic 

What is the plantext to that aff?

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase the facilitization of scientific exchanges between hurricane scientists in the US and Cuba and remove barriers to these exchanges.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

How is that economic engagement? Hass and O sullivan say that exchanges are civil society engagement.

I'm sure other authors say that it is economic engagement. Hassivan isn't the only definition you know.

How is that economic engagement? Hass and O sullivan say that exchanges are civil society engagement.

Economic Engagement is not distinct from Civic engagement 

Bond and Paterson, 05 (Ross Bond is a lecturer in Sociology in the School of Social and Political Studies, University of Edinburgh; Lindsay Paterson is professor of educational policy at the University of Edinburgh; “Coming down from the ivory tower? Academics’ civic and economic engagement with the communityâ€; September 2005) KD

We define civic engagement as those activities which individual academics undertake which in some way involve interaction or engagement with the non-academic community and are related to academic expertise. We do not include in this definition those instances where people are merely the ‘subjects’ of investigation or ‘respondents’ to a research project. We do not discuss activities that are directly related to the economy under this heading—these are dealt with in some detail below, under the heading of ‘economic engagement’. But economic engagement is probably best thought of as a subset of, or at least overlapping with, civic engagement: the two are not rigidly distinct.

• Upvote 1

Economic Engagement is not distinct from Civic engagement 

Bond and Paterson, 05 (Ross Bond is a lecturer in Sociology in the School of Social and Political Studies, University of Edinburgh; Lindsay Paterson is professor of educational policy at the University of Edinburgh; “Coming down from the ivory tower? Academics’ civic and economic engagement with the communityâ€; September 2005) KD

We define civic engagement as those activities which individual academics undertake which in some way involve interaction or engagement with the non-academic community and are related to academic expertise. We do not include in this definition those instances where people are merely the ‘subjects’ of investigation or ‘respondents’ to a research project. We do not discuss activities that are directly related to the economy under this heading—these are dealt with in some detail below, under the heading of ‘economic engagement’. But economic engagement is probably best thought of as a subset of, or at least overlapping with, civic engagement: the two are not rigidly distinct.

I think this is kind of bad evidence. (And i'm not directing this to you, Allen, it's for everyone's discussion):

First, it's in the context of universities and academics engaging in local communities - not federal government policy. To quote the introduction: "This paper examines the degree and nature of universities' interaction with their communities. It considers by what means and to what extent universities are embedded within these communities; to put the question in a more familiar form, the extent to which they are 'of' rather than merely 'in' them." Therefore when Bond and Paterson say "civic" and "economic engagement," it's not referring to foreign policy by the USfg, it's talking about how university researchers and professors can engage in their communities as members of the civic population, rather than distanced and trapped in the "ivory tower" the title refers to. This is especially important because universities are not the federal government - similarly, Congress can't just pass a bill that forces a bunch of university scientists to go to Cuba - it's just not within the jurisdiction of the resolutional actor.

Secondly, an even-if argument: if we take the card on face value, then economic engagement merely overlaps with civic engagement or is a subset of it. That means that everything that constitutes "civic engagement" might also be economic, but not necessarily so. If the resolution refers to "economic engagement," then negs are preparing only for what the aff admits is a subset of the policies that their interpretation includes. That means that negative arguments can only "overlap" with the affs of this interpretation, meaning that affs can spike out of negative K and DA links by declaring themselves "civic" rather than "economic" forms of engagement. Predictability is won by the negative by the presence of "economic engagement" in the topic, but "civic engagement" unfairly over-expands the limits of "economic."

The impact is that the neg doesn't get good ground, which is unfair and prevents effective clash, which is bad for advocacy skills and education, because we can't learn about an aff that we couldn't prepare against. Neg education comes from predicting affirmatives, researching them, and then having reasons why they're bad - and then finding out how true those arguments are or are not by clashing the ideas in a debate round.

(But I hate topicality so instead of copy-pasting this into blocks, just research reasons why the aff is just bad. The text is on cross-x, we know about it, now we can adequately prepare.)

there was a critical gitmo aff w/ pictures shown, poetry read, narratives, etc.

http://hsimpact.wordpress.com/2013/09/15/niles-tournament-octafinals-round-report-groves-or-vs-new-trier-bk/

"4. An abelism-style argument that objected to the 1AC’s use of pictures since “not everyone can observe and appreciate them.â€

Haha sounds like the "pictures bad theory" I made here: http://www.cross-x.com/topic/55625-round-13-in-room-1-team-santas-helper-vs-team-mccainpalin/

"4. An abelism-style argument that objected to the 1AC’s use of pictures since “not everyone can observe and appreciate them.â€

Haha sounds like the "pictures bad theory" I made here: http://www.cross-x.com/topic/55625-round-13-in-room-1-team-santas-helper-vs-team-mccainpalin/

it was occularcentrism, which is about the placement of sight over the other senses, not really ableism. i think the writer misinterpreted