MotherFoucault

Debate Jokes/pop Culture References To Use In Round?

Why would you ever want to do this? 

.... Kick your aff? ... no? Alright, I"m out

[get it, because aff sounds like ass]

• Upvote 2

I dont like jokes in a debate round i think they are normally executed poorly. However some people can do them right so times depends on the situation.  

• Downvote 2

Based on their post history, there's a possibility OP wants this so they can trick novices into thinking that debate is cool. Just so that people have context about what's going on.

Also: make as many irrelevant Miley Cyrus twerking VMA references as possible, OP. Don't have to make sense. Probably better if it doesn't. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Jokes...where do we even start?  Jokes can be arguments, they can be ethos.  They can win you rounds or they can make you come off as a humorless rube.  First and foremost, never write your jokes ahead of time unless they are contextual to the round.  If you know your judge is a big sports person, maybe think of a few sports-related quips and a way to pepper them throughout the debate, etc.  However, the best jokes always come organically in the round.  If you are a funny person, your jokes will come naturally through a lighthearted spirit and an eye for humor.  If you're not a naturally funny person, then asking a website for jokes is the worst possible thing you can do - your jokes will be wooden and you will look like a tool for having prepped jokes.  

I shouldn't need to say this, but just in case: if your joke is in your speech document, you are an unfunny tool.  That's the bright line. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

Jokes...where do we even start?  Jokes can be arguments, they can be ethos.  They can win you rounds or they can make you come off as a humorless rube.  First and foremost, never write your jokes ahead of time unless they are contextual to the round.  If you know your judge is a big sports person, maybe think of a few sports-related quips and a way to pepper them throughout the debate, etc.  However, the best jokes always come organically in the round.  If you are a funny person, your jokes will come naturally through a lighthearted spirit and an eye for humor.  If you're not a naturally funny person, then asking a website for jokes is the worst possible thing you can do - your jokes will be wooden and you will look like a tool for having prepped jokes.  

I shouldn't need to say this, but just in case: if your joke is in your speech document, you are an unfunny tool.  That's the bright line. 

If we aren't funny can we make meta jokes about not being funny?

• Upvote 2

If we aren't funny can we make meta jokes about not being funny?

That's even worse.  People hate self-loathing that isn't playful, and it's even worse to keep reminding the judge that you're unfunny.  If you can make jokes about yourself though, that's usually pretty good.  Just have fun with it.

• Upvote 2

That's even worse.  People hate self-loathing that isn't playful, and it's even worse to keep reminding the judge that you're unfunny.  If you can make jokes about yourself though, that's usually pretty good.  Just have fun with it.

Can I hire you to write me jokes? 

• Upvote 1

No, but all of us wish that you could.

Do you need ice for that burn?

• Upvote 1