cR0SsX

Why Are There No Military Affs Whatsoever For This Topic?

I haven't read the topicality files.  

I imagine there are distinctions among:

military engagement and economic engagement

Objectives, people involved, mechanisms, etc...  Not to mention different disad links.

If it were an option...I assume it would be:

1) Use or military to solve X problem

2) We use our resources/military to solve their military problems (training, human rights, etc..)

I would read the Buchard paper to see what you can find in terms of close to the military if this is interesting to you.

I know we do "rule of law" work--and I think thats economic engagement (the intent is to create a more stable economic environment for businesses--hence why it falls under economic engagement).

I haven't done a lot of research in this area, but the two core limits to economic engagement are likely:

1) intent of policy (or intent of this type of policy across history)

2) policy mechanisms used

There are going to be military affs, even if you don't see any yet. And they're going to win. Topicality's never stopped them before so it won't this time either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm sure all the K teams running imperialism/colonialism would love the free link ground anyway

• Upvote 1

Also, economic ties lead to military ties, so a majority of hegemony impacts can be accessed that way

Khalizad 95 INCOMING!

• Upvote 2

Military affirmatives are on this topic, it's just a matter of time before they're revealed.

Here's one if you want.

MILITARY AFFS

Mexican Counternarcotics

Mexican Border security

Ports of Entry Security (militaryesque)

Venezuelan Counternarcotics

Mexican Dolphin-Safe Tuna Labels that I collaborated with KTG on

I'm also pretty sure someone can make a Navy biofuel aff.

• Upvote 2

Can you describe this in greater detail?

KTG's doing a VDebate on it right now.

Basically, Mexico is pissed that we want them to implement dolphin-safe regulations that will allow us to put a label on their tuna products that says "Dolphin-Safe!"

These labels empirically prevent mass deaths of dolphin populations which are on the brink and critical to our military operations.

Literature concludes that

1. Dolphins deter Port Terrorism

2. Dolphins are key to mitigating Hormuz conflict

3. Dolphins are key to naval tech-development

Byfar the most unique policy aff I've ever cut. Ever. 

Check out the v debate.

• Upvote 1

I have a couple CX questions/statements before the 1NC is re-posted for grammar. 

CAN YOU IMAGINE THESE CUTE INTELLIGENCE MAMMALS DYING A HORRIBLE DEATH AT THE HANDS OF MEXICAN TUNA FARMERS?!?! yes/no.

Dolphin-face-1.jpg

IT'S A DOLPHIN CHILD! CAN YOU JUSTIFY NEGATING THAT?!?!?!?!

97765660.jpg

BAM BAM BAM! LYNCHPIN OF HEGEMONY.

250px-NMMP_dolphin_with_locator.jpeg

LOOK AT THE SMUG LITTLE GRIN ON IT'S FACE, KNOWING IT'S THE KEY TO AN ENTIRE COUNTRY'S MILITARY SUPREMACY.dolphin-copy.jpg

You wouldn't negate a medal-of-honor-winning soldier, would you?

dolphin-navy.png

Would you agree this is majestic? Rate regality on a scale from 1-10.

Dolphins-Sunset-Photos.jpg

No further questions until the 1NC is re-posted.

• Upvote 2

Here's one if you want.

MILITARY AFFS

Mexican Counternarcotics

Mexican Border security

Ports of Entry Security (militaryesque)

Venezuelan Counternarcotics

I'm also pretty sure someone can make a Navy biofuel aff.

What's the Navy Biofuel aff?

What's the Navy Biofuel aff?

I dont really have any cards on it yet, but it seems like it should be in the literature.

Some sort of ethanol coop with one of the topic countries should get you to a biofuel link.

Additionally, I know Brazil has a large biofuel program and you can probably access it with some internal links.

But, these are complete conjecture and not based in the literature, so I'd encourage looking into it a bit more before you have a confirmed aff.

one of JDI's ethanol aff actually has a navy contention. I don't think its on open evidence, but I know for sure it's on their wikispace.

• Upvote 1

the problem with a navy biofuels aff is that none of the literature supports sugar-cane ethanol. most of it is in the context of algae biofuels.

a few other issues:

1. the US is already producing ethanol and biofuels. 

2. brazil is already providing the US with sugar-cane ethanol. essentially non-uniques everything.

3. the biggest issue that hampers naval power right now is an aging workforce in the shipbuilding industry --> lack of building power. most "impact authors" evaluate our comparative naval advantage based either on ship capability (as in weapon systems and other such technology) or fleet size.  it's not like ethanol is going to magically make the navy strong because it doesn't resolve either of those two. 

of course, there's an argument to be made about brazil ethanol kills the cerrado region, etc. or US ethanol collapses corn production --> ag collapse --> xyz impact. but those are non-unique and unsupported by the literature. i don't think cuba would ever become a bigger exporter of sugar-cane ethanol than brazil either. oil independence could be an advantage, but the navy is researching renewable sources in the status quo, and solvency of the aff likely won't meet the link threshold needed for most oil independence impacts. 

the cards in the JDI file are also rather weak. none of the internal links are specific to ethanol. additionally, most of the cards say the navy is currently using/researching biofuels.