darkrecon

Rivalries In Philosophy

Kant vs. Nietzsche 

Korsgaard, to a certain extent, has done away with much this rivalry.  Also, the Rawlsian account of Bernard Williams, also discussed by Korsgaard, in many ways incorporates Nietzsche into Kant.

Slavoj Zizek versus the world.

All process philosophers (Shapiro, Rescher, Cobb) versus object-oriented ontologists (Bryant, Bogost, Morton).

Any and all postmodernists and/or continental philosophers versus analytic philosophers.

Nietzsche vs. Schopenhauer stands out to me.

Wait didn't Nietzsche develop his philosophy from Schopenhauer. Also aren't they both talking about an end to human suffering. Just a bit confused is all

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Wait didn't Nietzsche develop his philosophy from Schopenhauer. Also aren't they both talking about an end to human suffering. Just a bit confused is all

Nietzsche has a big break from Schopenhauer pessimism and views on nihilism, he is largely influenced by him however, which remains true for every philosopher on this list. DnG are opposites of Marx and Lacan but rely heavily on their theories, it's just a matter of development. Also no, I would suggest doing some reading on Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, it isn't just about ending human suffering.

Foucault and Baudrillard are another pair.

In terms of actual, real life rivalries, there are some pretty interesting ones. Foucault was said to actually hate Deleuze and felt threatened by his work. Badiou and Deleuze had a HUUUGE rivalry to the point that Badiou would send out his neo-Maoist minions to go into Deleuze's classes and interrupt them. Guattari's relationship to other members of La Borde grew pretty antagonistic at times. Levi Bryant gets on blog fights alllll the time and some are pretty entertaining to watch if you go over to larval subjects. I know there are a few more among the Greeks I am missing.

• Upvote 1

Here are 8 rivalries in philosophy--I think more than anyone else on the thread:

1. Deontologists Versus Consequentialists/Utilitarians (p.s this used to say Teleologists)

2. Realists (Waltz Et Al) versus Critical Theorists (Ole Waever, Lipschultz, etc..)

3. Pragmatists (Rorty and Nassbaum) versus Postmoderns/Post-structuralists (kind of)

4. Marxists versus Post-moderns/Post-structuralists

5. Various Feminisms versus Each Other (essentialists versus non-essentialists)

6. Various Marxisms versus Each Other (theory and text versus materialists)

7. Determinists versus Free Will (there are lots of other folks along this continuum)

8. Bottom up-ers (movements & decentralization) versus Top down-ers (government) (obviously there are various points along this continuum--for instance pro Federalists)

Nietzsche has a big break from Schopenhauer pessimism and views on nihilism, he is largely influenced by him however, which remains true for every philosopher on this list. DnG are opposites of Marx and Lacan but rely heavily on their theories, it's just a matter of development. Also no, I would suggest doing some reading on Nietzsche and Schopenhauer, it isn't just about ending human suffering.

Foucault and Baudrillard are another pair.

In terms of actual, real life rivalries, there are some pretty interesting ones. Foucault was said to actually hate Deleuze and felt threatened by his work. Badiou and Deleuze had a HUUUGE rivalry to the point that Badiou would send out his neo-Maoist minions to go into Deleuze's classes and interrupt them. Guattari's relationship to other members of La Borde grew pretty antagonistic at times. Levi Bryant gets on blog fights alllll the time and some are pretty entertaining to watch if you go over to larval subjects. I know there are a few more among the Greeks I am missing.

What Aubtin's talking about in the last paragraph can be learned about through this critical-theory post and from the book it's excerpting. It's a kind of hilarious and definitely interesting read. I want to get the book they're discussing.

• Upvote 1

What Aubtin's talking about in the last paragraph can be learned about through this critical-theory post and from the book it's excerpting. It's a kind of hilarious and definitely interesting read. I want to get the book they're discussing.

it's (intersecting lives by dosse) a pretty good book. the pictures of young deleuze and guattari in the middle of it are cool. dosse has gotten a lot of review criticisms of not covering some important events very well, or getting some facts wrong (from what i remember, he mis-names nick land near the end...), or not writing very well (i read one review complaining about how the word "also" is on like every page). it's interesting and helps put a lot of things, particularly the early deleuze work, in a valuable context.

Deontologists Versus Teleologists

Teleology is actually endorsed by some Kantians, most notably Christine Korsgaard.  If you mean consequentialism, then there is a serious division between the two, although the case for consequentialism or utilitarianism is fairly unconvincing.  Korsgaard's most recent formulation of Kant's ethical theory draws heavily on Aristotelian Metaphysics and on his notion of teleology.  Kant also used teleology in his Critique of Judgement.

Thanks for clearing that up man, sorry if I seemed dumb. I suffer from a rare condition known as being k-tarded

• Upvote 1

Baudrillard vs Foucault.

Baudrillard literally wrote a book called "Forget Foucault". 

Even though this is a ideological rivalry, it is fair to mention that Baudrillard had massive amounts of respect for Foucault and idolized him (Foucault thought he was a little brat, considering Baudrillard actually submitted this original essay to a journal that Foucault was the head editor of or something). Baudrillard just has a tendency for making his titles controversial

Thanks for clearing that up man, sorry if I seemed dumb. I suffer from a rare condition known as being k-tarded

No problem, it's fine, and dat ableism. Schop is more like suffering doesn't end and Nietzsche is more like we must embrace it then, to water it down a ton

• Upvote 2

Ayn Rand vs. Kant

Never understood this (I mean... I understand why she hated Kant. Just not why she hated Kant's idealism more than any other philosophy).

Ayn Rand vs. Kant

Never understood this (I mean... I understand why she hated Kant. Just not why she hated Kant's idealism more than any other philosophy).

Probably because he was an actual philosopher and she... wasn't.  

• Upvote 7