rsoni

Mac Os To Mac On Windows

I've been wanting to switch for a while now and I just wanted to know how other people have done it. To be clear I have a Mac and I want to use windows 7 on it. 

I'm gonna be honest, this process is a nightmare. Not a fan. Or maybe I'm just not that great with computers

There's an internal system in the OS Software called Bootcamp

Install it here- http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

It should be pretty self-explanatory from there.

Bootcamp is probably the way to go if you have a 500+ GB hard drive. All you have to do is use Disk Utility to partition it and off you go. But if you're stupid like me and bought a MacBook Air with a puny 120 GB hard drive, your only option (as far as I know) is to download Parallels (which costs $40 with the student discount and $80 without) and install Windows on an external hard drive, as I did.

Once installed, Bootcamp allows you to boot directly to whichever OS you please, maximizing the resources available to the OS and optimizing performance. Parallels, on the other hand, runs Windows as a virtual machine within Mac OS X, meaning you have a Windows window (heh) while using OS X. This is nice because you don't have to shut down and reboot to use a different OS, but running both at the same time does slow things down a little. (Thus, if you want to be able to play any PC games on a Mac, Bootcamp is the only option.)

If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help. I spent way too many hours trying to figure this nonsense out while the frustration drove me toward insanity...and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else  :)

• Upvote 3

I'm gonna be honest, this process is a nightmare. Not a fan. Or maybe I'm just not that great with computers

Bootcamp is probably the way to go if you have a 500+ GB hard drive. All you have to do is use Disk Utility to partition it and off you go. But if you're stupid like me and bought a MacBook Air with a puny 120 GB hard drive, your only option (as far as I know) is to download Parallels (which costs $40 with the student discount and $80 without) and install Windows on an external hard drive, as I did.

Once installed, Bootcamp allows you to boot directly to whichever OS you please, maximizing the resources available to the OS and optimizing performance. Parallels, on the other hand, runs Windows as a virtual machine within Mac OS X, meaning you have a Windows window (heh) while using OS X. This is nice because you don't have to shut down and reboot to use a different OS, but running both at the same time does slow things down a little. (Thus, if you want to be able to play any PC games on a Mac, Bootcamp is the only option.)

If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help. I spent way too many hours trying to figure this nonsense out while the frustration drove me toward insanity...and I wouldn't wish that on anyone else  :)

Parallels is definitely the way to go on a laptop if you can buy it. My go-to suggestion was Bootcamp because it's free (in turn, more accessible).

On a related note, is there a way on OSX Microsoft Word to do the reading layout where you can just click the arrow buttons to switch pages? I find myself being slowed down while spreading because I have to scroll down. Is there anything similar other than the 'reader view' option which still requires scrolling?

• Upvote 2

Parallels is definitely the way to go on a laptop if you can buy it. My go-to suggestion was Bootcamp because it's free (in turn, more accessible).

Agreed.

On a related note, is there a way on OSX Microsoft Word to do the reading layout where you can just click the arrow buttons to switch pages? I find myself being slowed down while spreading because I have to scroll down. Is there anything similar other than the 'reader view' option which still requires scrolling?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but "Draft View" (bottom-left corner) eliminates page breaks. If that's not what you were looking for, I'm not sure I can be of much assistance. I've never used a "click to switch pages" button, and I imagine viewing an entire page at a time would make the text uncomfortably small. I just zoom in to ~145% and scroll so the text is nice and easy to read.

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks for the help, my main question is did you see any issues with the performance of the mac after using bootcamp (I say bootcamp because I'm probably going to use that). 

Ok thanks for the help, my main question is did you see any issues with the performance of the mac after using bootcamp (I say bootcamp because I'm probably going to use that). 

Good call. There shouldn't be any performance issues when using Bootcamp; since it can boot directly to Windows without running OS X, all your computer's resources/hardware will be available for use by Windows.