normsy

Topic Selection Committee

Neg Ground:

Econ arguments

Biodiversity DAs (probably like dozens of specific ones eg. Phytoplankton, Corals, Specific Hotspots, specific species, etc.)

Warming DA

Naval Tech Prolif DA (not sure the lit exists, but it would be cool for a "ocean tech spills over to military, that's bad" argument)

International Waters Intrusion DA (think about China's recent ADIZ, international water claims, Arctic claims, etc)

Plan makes Atlantis mad = world war 3 DA

Pacific Rim Wormhole/Kaiju DA. 

On that note, a "develop the Jaeger program" AFF would be really cool...

Other:

LOST CP for the n-th year in a row

International Actor CPs will be huge

Agent CPs

All of the environment Ks

T - Resolved

Also, every year, there's some government definition of the major words in the resolution that everyone uses. This year, it's the State Department card. Last year was the Chamber of Commerce card. I did a preliminary search of some terms, and I guarantee these are going to be the big definitional cards next year:

Development: 

http://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/index.php?menu=23z

At Rio+20, Member States stressed the importance of “the conservation and sustainable use of the oceans and seas and of their resources for sustainable development, including through their contributions to poverty eradication, sustained economic growth, food security and creation of sustainable livelihoods and decent work, while at the same time protecting biodiversity and the marine environment and addressing the impacts of climate changeâ€. Oceans, seas and coastal areas form an integrated and essential component of the Earth’s ecosystem and are critical to sustainable development. They cover more than two-thirds of the earth’s surface and contain 97% of the planet’s water. Oceans contribute to poverty eradication by creating sustainable livelihoods and decent work. Over three billion people depend on marine and coastal resources for their livelihoods. In addition, oceans are crucial for global food security and human health. They are also the primary regulator of the global climate, an important sink for greenhouse gases and they provide us with water and the oxygen we breathe. Finally, oceans host huge reservoirs of biodiversity Yet, there are increasing, complex challenges in preserving and maintaining healthy, resilient and productive oceans for the prosperity of present and future generations. Ensuring healthy and productive oceans is therefore crucial for achieving sustainable development.

Exploration:

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/history/history_oe.htmNOAA’s scientific ocean exploration has developed around the following themes: (1) systematic mapping of the sea floor and related geologic and geophysical parameters; (2) the search for creatures that live within the sea and the study of their interrelationships; (3) the systematic study of local and planetary tides and currents; (4) the struggle for humankind to work, observe, and live within the sea; (5) the search for understanding of the dynamic interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere that drive the great climatic systems; (6) the study of the chemical composition of the sea; and (7) penetration of the sea floor by mechanical and acoustical means in order to comprehend the geology, geophysics, geochemistry, and past history of our planet. An eighth theme, the search for sea-floor cultural artifacts and heritage sites, has matured as sea-floor mapping, remote sensing systems, and various other technologies have become more sophisticated.

This was so beautiful but this

Spending DA (hell yeah)

ruined it all for me

• Upvote 2

Its official, next years topic is oceans!

That's just a myth. There was actually an exact tie so they created a new resolution related to law enforcement training.

That's just a myth. There was actually an exact tie so they created a new resolution related to law enforcement training.

Increase funding for the development of Officer Tom clones?

Increase funding for the development of Officer Tom clones?

Can we call them replicants?

Officer Tom, whatever you do, don't think of a unicorn!

• Upvote 1

Oceans eh? I bet I already know what the best case will be.

YEAH-EAT-IT.jpg

Its going to be a performative case involving the songs "Barbara Manatee", "Under the Sea", and "Beyond the Sea".  Also possibly TMBG's "Cow Town".

• Upvote 2

Resolved: The United States Federal government should substantially expand its efforts at finding Nemo

• Upvote 5

WHO'S READY FOR 1,000,000 ANTHRO DEBATES?

seriously i love this topic its Better than never-ending terror debates

How about a "Build Rapture" Aff with Objectivist K & "Unfettered undersea capitalism leads to awesome robots and magic powers to shoot bees out of our hands" advantages?

Edited by Edgehopper
  • Upvote 3

How about a "Build Rapture" Aff with Objectivist K & "Unfettered undersea capitalism leads to awesome robots and magic powers to shoot bees out of our hands" advantages?

I'm sure there'll be some BioShock sci-fi affs! Those would be fun to read. Probably rather critical of American exceptionalism & capitalism, though.

I'm sure there'll be some BioShock sci-fi affs! Those would be fun to read. Probably rather critical of American exceptionalism & capitalism, though.

tbh, I'm very disappointed I won't be able to debate this topic and defend my Objectivist utopia. :/

• Upvote 2

tbh, I'm very disappointed I won't be able to debate this topic and defend my Objectivist utopia. :/

Well, if someone does run rapture as irony, you could turn case and be like "No, lets actually build rapture, its a really good idea"