NorikoSatsume

How Much Should I Be Paid To Coach

A school reached out to me and asked me to coach LD and Pofo, and asked me "What I'm looking for in the ways of compensation".

What should I look for in the ways of compensation?

Well the time you have to devote to the activity breaks down into 3 categories:

1) Coaching time/Their prep time

2) Your Prep time/Research time

3) Debate tournaments

Its probably easiest to get pay based on:

1) Weeks of practice

2) Tournament by tournament 

If you're in college, this shouldn't be a problem.  This may make things difficult depending on HOW they are paying you (are they writing a check or printing a check through payroll)

• Upvote 2

In my experience in LD, private coaches usually net somewhere in the $500-800 range per topic. This is often a more flexible job than working as the official debate coach of a school. When it's the school paying you, your compensation will usually be a function of (1) how many practices you attend, and (2) how many tournaments you go to. The recent graduates I know who work for local circuit debate teams tend to get paid on a per tournament/per practice basis. Private schools tend to shell out more than public schools. You will probably make more working for a school than as a private coach (unless you're privately coaching a number of debaters who pay you individually -- not unheard of).

It's VERY variable, and is based a lot on the financial resources at the school/parents' disposal.

I know of coaches in college who charge upwards of $40 an hour for the time that they work with the students. If you think this is unfair, look up the rates for an SAT prep course in your region. Add about 20% to that because you're teaching something that's more specialized than SAT Prep, and will probably do a better job of prepping them for the SAT anyways.

the only standard that is agreed upon in the community is the $75-$100 per day of tournament. This is IN ADDITION to your expenses, including travel / lodging / meals.