liampirate

Chrome Books

Our team looked at chromebooks for our transition to paperless debating.

We ended up not going for them, because they cannot use microsoft word offline.

MS word can only be used while online, offline word processing capability must go through Google Docs.

Since so much debate software is compatible / works best with MS word we opted out.

Many tournaments forbid any internet access at all during rounds. Don't Chrome Books typically require constant internet access for meaningful use? It might not be worth the risk, I've had judges come and check laptop connectivity before rounds start before... which is admittedly probably not common but I don't know how it might be in other places.

To answer the OP: I doubt it's possible to go beyond file creation and reading/viewing laptop with anything built on Chrome OS, alone. And even then, file creation, while it would be compatible with Open Paperless Project standards, would likely have a weird look that most people would want run through and re-saved via MS Office or LibreOffice, anyways.

With some Terminal work, you can make a Chromebook work, though. You just have to install a Linux Desktop Environment of your choice (I suggest XFCE or Cinnamon for a debate environment). What's very very cool is you can literally alt-tabbed between Chrome OS and the Linux desktop.

Video demonstrating running Linux/ChromeOS at the same time:

http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/03/05/multitasking-with-chrome-os-and-linux-on?videoId=241474089

How to do it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I think if you are looking for cheap check out the DebateOS option with linux http://www.cedadebate.org/forum/index.php?topic=4872.msg10933#msg10933

Just a little update on that, since there's a nearly identical cross-x thread in the Tech Forums. I'm the developer for DebateOS and am also putting together a team and have started work on a Google Docs port for a basic Template for file cutting collaboration.

Right now the plan is for the following scripts:

Remove Paragraphs (in beta)
Small font (in beta)

Pocket - Tags (although if you can't just use the dropdown for Heading 1 through Heading 4 you fail, and we may just require you to do that so that I can further the "Tech Integration" education argument to high schools for No Child Left Behind common core standard requirements)

At the moment we have no plans to try to replicate Speech creation since we are still just now learning what scripting with Google Drive can do. But we think there's enough need and desire for a GDocs port for file creation to make it a major project priority.
  • Upvote 1

I would look at the Microsoft Surface and the possibility of getting them at discounts because Microsoft is pushing them for school use and they are obviously compatible with Microsoft Office. Try them hands on at Best Buy and then decide.

WTJAZZ

I would look at the Microsoft Surface and the possibility of getting them at discounts because Microsoft is pushing them for school use and they are obviously compatible with Microsoft Office. Try them hands on at Best Buy and then decide.

WTJAZZ

CrossX brought to you by Microsoft and Best Buy. 

Dont miss their 20% off special Shabbat Nachamu sale this weekend only!!!

WTJAZZ

Those are Surface RT's, which are pathetic pieces of tech. A real Surface wouldn't be so bad if you can afford it, etc.