TamaleTosser

Yeezus Vs. Magna Carta Vs. Born Sinner Vs. Watching Movies With The Sound Off

Best album of these ? thoughts?

I thought Yeezus and Mac Miller's album was total shit, although kanye (or his crew perhaps) did drop a couple of good beats. Born Sinner was good for J. Cole and I liked Magna Carta, but then again I always was bias towards Jay-Z.

I completely disagree saying Mac's album was complete shit. I want to know why you didn't like it because I feel this is the first time he has gotten away from the "Donald Trump" phase of his music. 

I also don't think Yeezus was complete shit either. Wasn't his best i'll agree but still has a couple of bangers on it.

For me it would go MCHG>WMWTSO>Born Sinner> Yeezus
I still am on my third listen through of Born Sinner so that might change.

Edit: Oh and I am bias towards Kanye if that tells you anything.

yeezus was amazing but def. not designed for mainstream listeners

magna carta holy grail continues jay-z's streak of phoning in albums

you cannot "be bias." that is like saying "i am jealousy" or "i am hunger." when you are trying to describe your feelings in this way, you append the past participle form of bias (biased) to the conjugated form of "to be," i.e. "i am biased."

who is mac miller?

where is run the jewels?

• Upvote 4

yeezus was amazing but def. not designed for mainstream listeners

magna carta holy grail continues jay-z's streak of phoning in albums

you cannot "be bias." that is like saying "i am jealousy" or "i am hunger." when you are trying to describe your feelings in this way, you append the past participle form of bias (biased) to the conjugated form of "to be," i.e. "i am biased."

who is mac miller?

where is run the jewels?

where is run the jewels, indeed.

• Upvote 1

Yeezy and Jay's albums were disappointments. Can't really fuck with Yeezus or Magna Carta, though they did have some really good songs. Mixtape game wise, Asher Roth dropped Green House Effect v2 and that was super good. I was waiting forever for the V2 and it thankfully didn't end up like Cabin Fever 2. (As in, doesn't compare to the original)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Anyone who thought Yeezus wasn't good probably doesn't get it. That album wasn't for you, he was performing musical masturbation... at least that's what I heard. There's a point in every excellent musician's career where they take an album and just revel in their own performative capacity, this was Kanye's. 

A lot of this album was about rejecting regular conceptions about what sounds good or pleasing. Other parts were about Kanye's reconciliation of being black with the retention of self-love. 

Actually I'm going to stop talking about this because I probably won't stop if I get started, but this record and the surrounding commentary is a great place to make a K (just saying). 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

okay look yeezus was iight. 
Black skinhead, I am a god, new slaves and bound 2 were good Blood on the Leaves was amazing. Having said that they were good for a musician, I expected much more from kanye.

I get what he was trying to do, but IDK the beats were good, his message was good but I dont dig it 

Hudson,

I think you have a generally correct view in terms of the appraisal of the albums qualities.

But....thats not why I listen to music....thats not why I spend my money on tracks or concerts (so a song writer can wax....what-ever-ly)

B-sides of his first 2 albums are BETTER than every track I've heard from Yeezus.   Not-even-close.

Kanye can make art....this is (comparably or frankly) trash.

He's going out with Kim....he's lost his authentic rhetorical swagger (along with some of the soul which seemed to grace the lyrics of earlier releases)....On Yeezus f-bombs replace real writing, real rhyming--real anything resembling value or something listenable.  He's fallen in love with celebrity & shock value.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He's going out with Kim....he's lost his authentic rhetorical swagger

HvZEd.gif

• Upvote 1

I didn't think Yeezus was that great either after a couple listens (and this is coming from someone who's a big fan of that style of production). I kinda felt like, apart from a few songs (Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Blood on the Leaves), he kinda coasted his way through this album and tried to cash in on the experimental wave that's starting to build momentum (thanks to Death Grips, among others) without really putting a whole lot of effort into it. In fairness though, I've always kinda had that perspective on Ye's albums (ie there's a few songs that I like and the rest is kinda meh) apart from maybe 808s and Heartbreak.

I'm not a Mac Miller fan, and Magna Carta was nothing new or interesting either. I liked Born Sinner, and I'm interested to see how he does when he drops the project he's doing with Kendrick.

Also, what about 12 Reasons to Die by Ghostface Killah and Summer Knights by Joey Bada$$? I thought both of those albums were better than the 4 mentioned in the OP.

• Upvote 3

Also, what about 12 Reasons to Die by Ghostface Killah and Summer Knights by Joey Bada$$? I thought both of those albums were better than the 4 mentioned in the OP.

agreed, but ghostface is on another level. how bout ill mind of hopsin 6 doe, coming out in like a week :D

hey guys lady gaga is putting out a new album soon i think she's pretty good and edgy where do u think she is on this list

• Upvote 4

I completely disagree saying Mac's album was complete shit.

i haven't listened, i just think he isn't talented... and the fact that a donald trump phase even exists is a reason why he isnt good- that song was trash. 

Take over the world when im on my donald trump shit

look at all this money, aint that some shit

^i dont think he knows what real rhyme is, but thats just vapid and lazy. 

hey guys lady gaga is putting out a new album soon i think she's pretty good and edgy where do u think she is on this list

i thought she was dead

I am here only to compare Yeezus and Magna Carta.

Rolling Stone compared Yeezus's sound and feel to that of Nirvana's "In Utero" in that it represents an artistic move away from mainstream perceptions of your "music," containing elements that make it avant garde and "edgy." Ye said that this wasn't the type of album that you submit singles to be played on the radio. I believe that Kanye West is the only true rock star left. Who else gives so little fucks enough to insult America's sweetheart during the VMA's, calls himself a god, and calls the president straight up racist on national tv? No one. That is some shit that only rock stars who want to cause mayhem do.

I think that there are a few songs in particular that make Yeezus awesome. The fact that a song named Black Skinhead is the most radio-friendly song on the album is cool no matter what you say, and New Slaves is killer both in beat and in content. Kanye has really channeled his love for black culture he displays in earlier albums into an aggression no one can stop. He is very in-your-face, and in Slaves he says he is "going Bobby Boucher" (from the Waterboy), so that's cool. The first three songs were produced by Daft Punk too. Hold My Liquor is one of the strong points in the album. Bon Iver and Ye have a track history of awesome collabs, and Kanye's production truly shines here. Blood on the Leaves is sick. The beat is outstanding, and the sample is from fucking Alvin and the Chipmunks. Bound 2 is probably the best Kanye, because it definitely is old Kanye.

Jay's album is great, don't get it twisted, but he just doesn't impress me on this one. There are a few tracks that just kill it. It starts off strong, with Holy Grail, which features JT and samples Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt with Rick Ross is honestly so sick (which surprised me because I generally detest Ross), with a beat that bumps and Jay's classic "GOAT" attitude, comparing himself to Cesar and other great leaders. Somewhere in America is a short, phenomenal piece of jazz/rap art that reminds me of Jay's Reasonable Doubt days. It is my favorite song off the album, and it ends with a reptilian of the phrase "somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is still twerkin." Oceans is a great song centered around Frank Ocean and an Oceans 11 theme, in which singer Ocean drops the line "I hope this black skin don't dirt this white tuxedo." Intense, huh?

My beef is that Jay is obviously a response to Yeezus rather than something someone needs to respond to; Jay has this attitude of "nuh-uh, I'm the best" rather than just raising the bar and proving it. There are a lot of throw away songs and you can really easily notice Jay copying parts of mainstream rappers such as Big Sean and A$AP Rocky in terms of flow and mic presence that makes me think he is struggling to remain current.

Tl;dr: Ye has truly proven himself as an artist but most importantly as a producer and Jay is struggling to remain relateable rather than doing his own thing.

• Upvote 5

FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt with Rick Ross is honestly so sick

It's interesting that you like this song so much. In my opinion is was the most obnoxious song on the album. I think it represents a trend in "mainstream" hip hop where the production far outshines the flow and the lyrics. Ross' verses were just straight up annoying and Jay's flow wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. 

Also, the whole time I was listening to Ross' first verse I couldn't help but think of this: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3omh9p/

ya'll will like this, two sweet songs came out yesterday & today

earl sweatshirt ft. vince staples & casey veggies - hive

the weeknd - belong to the world (the music vid is siiiick)

also - if ya'll haven't heard the weeknd's other newish song (Kiss Land) from his new upcoming album, look for that too. I'm excited haha, it's shaping up to sound awesome.

• Upvote 3

I am here only to compare Yeezus and Magna Carta.

Rolling Stone compared Yeezus's sound and feel to that of Nirvana's "In Utero" in that it represents an artistic move away from mainstream perceptions of your "music," containing elements that make it avant garde and "edgy." Ye said that this wasn't the type of album that you submit singles to be played on the radio. I believe that Kanye West is the only true rock star left. Who else gives so little fucks enough to insult America's sweetheart during the VMA's, calls himself a god, and calls the president straight up racist on national tv? No one. That is some shit that only rock stars who want to cause mayhem do.

I think that there are a few songs in particular that make Yeezus awesome. The fact that a song named Black Skinhead is the most radio-friendly song on the album is cool no matter what you say, and New Slaves is killer both in beat and in content. Kanye has really channeled his love for black culture he displays in earlier albums into an aggression no one can stop. He is very in-your-face, and in Slaves he says he is "going Bobby Boucher" (from the Waterboy), so that's cool. The first three songs were produced by Daft Punk too. Hold My Liquor is one of the strong points in the album. Bon Iver and Ye have a track history of awesome collabs, and Kanye's production truly shines here. Blood on the Leaves is sick. The beat is outstanding, and the sample is from fucking Alvin and the Chipmunks. Bound 2 is probably the best Kanye, because it definitely is old Kanye.

Jay's album is great, don't get it twisted, but he just doesn't impress me on this one. There are a few tracks that just kill it. It starts off strong, with Holy Grail, which features JT and samples Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt with Rick Ross is honestly so sick (which surprised me because I generally detest Ross), with a beat that bumps and Jay's classic "GOAT" attitude, comparing himself to Cesar and other great leaders. Somewhere in America is a short, phenomenal piece of jazz/rap art that reminds me of Jay's Reasonable Doubt days. It is my favorite song off the album, and it ends with a reptilian of the phrase "somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is still twerkin." Oceans is a great song centered around Frank Ocean and an Oceans 11 theme, in which singer Ocean drops the line "I hope this black skin don't dirt this white tuxedo." Intense, huh?

My beef is that Jay is obviously a response to Yeezus rather than something someone needs to respond to; Jay has this attitude of "nuh-uh, I'm the best" rather than just raising the bar and proving it. There are a lot of throw away songs and you can really easily notice Jay copying parts of mainstream rappers such as Big Sean and A$AP Rocky in terms of flow and mic presence that makes me think he is struggling to remain current.

Tl;dr: Ye has truly proven himself as an artist but most importantly as a producer and Jay is struggling to remain relateable rather than doing his own thing.

I really think that you are mistaking Kanye's arrogance and stupidity for being a badass rockstar. He just said 'George Bush doesn't like black people.' He lacked the intellectual capacity to extrapolate that argument and probably has little more than a rudimentary understanding of the White Supremacist power structures that permeate many layers of American society and allow things like negligence of  people of color in disaster situations etc. 

Hopping on the award show stage was funny, but not badass. Yeezy was drunk as fuck and was just trying to give big ups to his homegurl beyonce. that was arrogant and disrespectful.

Lastly Yeezus was not as deep as you seem to think it is. Kanye is a fake revolutionary. He is doing this shit for money and if you want to deny that watch that Charlamagne tha God video I posted on another thread. Please.

I could go on and on, mind you I'm not trying to be disrespectful, i just really don't like kanye's schtick.  if you could explain how kanye is super intelligent and a revolutionary artists i'd love to hear it, but for me he is  a good producer and mediocre rapper with an inflated sense of self-worth, lack of self-awareness, and contradictory imbecile.

I really think that you are mistaking Kanye's arrogance and stupidity for being a badass rockstar. He just said 'George Bush doesn't like black people.' He lacked the intellectual capacity to extrapolate that argument and probably has little more than a rudimentary understanding of the White Supremacist power structures that permeate many layers of American society and allow things like negligence of  people of color in disaster situations etc. 

Hopping on the award show stage was funny, but not badass. Yeezy was drunk as fuck and was just trying to give big ups to his homegurl beyonce. that was arrogant and disrespectful.

Lastly Yeezus was not as deep as you seem to think it is. Kanye is a fake revolutionary. He is doing this shit for money and if you want to deny that watch that Charlamagne tha God video I posted on another thread. Please.

I could go on and on, mind you I'm not trying to be disrespectful, i just really don't like kanye's schtick.  if you could explain how kanye is super intelligent and a revolutionary artists i'd love to hear it, but for me he is  a good producer and mediocre rapper with an inflated sense of self-worth, lack of self-awareness, and contradictory imbecile.

I respect your opinion, but I few bones to pick. First of all, Kanye is not stupid. He may be a douchebag, an asshole, and an arrogant bastard, but he isn't stupid.

Second, I don't think he is rapping against racism on this album. I would say a theme I noticed on a few of Kanye's albums, specifically on The College Dropout and Yeezus, is against a lack of class mobility and ability to "follow your dreams". I saw an interview where he explained the line "clean water was only served to the fairer skin" as referring to his inability to expand into other areas of art. For context, I believe he has been unsuccessfully trying to solicit a fashion line to companies, who shut him out because of his less than diamond history in favor of less controversial (fairer) clients. The line of "fuck you and your corporations, you can't control me" also is a defiance statement against these same companies. And, therein lies the point/message of Yeezus, which is that Kanye West does not give a fuck and will do whatever he wants. If he really just wanted to make money, he would just spam College Dropout clones. I don't think he is "deep" necessarily, but he definitely is making art and talking about real issues, not just rapping for the cash.

Third, The fact that we're even having this discussion proves he is a rock star. To me, a rock star combines controversy, acclaimed music, and a public life. Kanye is really the only person who meets all three.